Overwatch

Soldato
Modes are very different. Shouldn't matter to what your Battletag no, but you say you got roprted for being bad at Widow, which makes mode more relevant. If I thought someone intentionally picked a bad character and then played them bad, in QP, so what. In comp, sure, I'd probably report.

Then youre as bad as he was.

Associate
Nothing wrong with reporting for what you see as trolling. Reported a torb played the other day. Was playing on attack as torb and not switching when the team asked nicely. He claimed if the team couldn't win with him as torb then it's the teams fault... Just generally being an ass. Could see the guy had lost like 10 games in a row and was about to drop into platinum. People who play like that need to stay out of comp or be banned from it so yeah report

Soldato
The aim of Overwatch is to intentionally misuse the reporting system to report people who aren't as good as you'd like

Thats not what Andy said. He said if someone picked an off character IN COMP and purposely played badly with them (trolling) he he would report. I would too.

On the other hand if its quick play then who cares, pick what you like and have fun.

Soldato
Thats not what Andy said. He said if someone picked an off character IN COMP and purposely played badly with them (trolling) he he would report. I would too.
I didn't take it that way and that was not the context he was replying to as DampCat was obviously not trolling. He seemed to be specifically saying that in DampCats situation if he had picked a character he wasn't too good at in comp and wasn't very good he would misuse the reporting system.

On the other hand if its quick play then who cares, pick what you like and have fun.
Indeed, no one plays comp to have fun! The next patch will introduce 2000 word essays for comp.

had this since release never really played it, whats a good starter character?
Soldier 76

Associate
I didn't take it that way and that was not the context he was replying to as DampCat was obviously not trolling. He seemed to be specifically saying that in DampCats situation if he had picked a character he wasn't too good at in comp and wasn't very good he would misuse the reporting system.

Indeed, no one plays comp to have fun! The next patch will introduce 2000 word essays for comp.

Soldier 76
thanks ill take a look

Soldato
I didn't take it that way and that was not the context he was replying to as DampCat was obviously not trolling.

Dampcat said he was reported for playing Widow and not very well.
Someone asked what mode.
Dampcat said QP but that shouldn't matter.
I've pointed out why the two modes are different and said I wouldn't have reported him in QP but if someone did it in comp I would.
Dampcat says I'm as bad as the other guy then.
I say he doesn't understand the game.
You've concluded I said the aim of Overwatch is to intentionally misuse the reporting system to report people who aren't as good as I'd like?
famas understood exactly what was going on, confirming in his post, what I'd said that I would report that behaviour in comp. (But not in QP, hence the mode was relevant, which was kinda why it all started)

I conclude maybe English isn't your first language? (I see you're in Scotland, so could be the case) :p

Associate
Totally agree with Andy here, if you aren't very good or just plain don't understand a character then don't play competitive with it, learn it in quickplay. Let's say someone picks Ana, has a bad game and we lose but they clearly play Ana then I have no issue, we all have bad games. Let's say someone picks Sombra or Widow or any character, has an awful game, I check their profile and they have no comp time on them AND really low QP time on them, then I'd report them for griefing / trolling / bad teamwork pretty much every report I can find because they are ruining competitive games.

it doesn't matter what the character is, learn them in QP or custom games NOT competitive. I've had some amazing games with Torb mains, Widow mains, Junkrat mains, but they all had lots of time on them and clearly understood them, they didn't use competitive to learn new chars, that IS griefing.

Soldato
I guess abusing the reporting system is the meta then?

Seriously you all sound like a bunch of whiny twelve year olds, (incorrectly) reporting people for not playing the way you want them to. What a horribly toxic community, even Blizzard thinks so.

You're playing a game guys, lighten up.

Soldato
You also don't understand the game then. It's not complicated. If you want to try things, muck about a little, do it in QP. Why spoil it for others? Rather selfish surely? I don't know why that makes us the childish ones tbh.

Associate
iv played overwatch a little bit and i can see both sides on this, i understand that competitive is like it say competitive and people want to win and having a guy or girl that is trying a new character out and is rubbish with them you shouldnt be reporting them now if they are doing it to troll then by all means crack on it needs to be done, and if you are trying a new character out you should learn how to play them as not to upset the competitive players but i can see why they would want to gane ranks

Associate
I guess abusing the reporting system is the meta then?

Seriously you all sound like a bunch of whiny twelve year olds, (incorrectly) reporting people for not playing the way you want them to. What a horribly toxic community, even Blizzard thinks so.

You're playing a game guys, lighten up.

If you are using Comp to 'learn' i hope I never have the misfortune to play with you in this game

if you don't understand the hero synergy with the one you're playing and the rest of your team, you don't understand the mechanics of the hero, you don't understand the abilities of the hero, then you ARE griefing your team mates in comp, you are trolling, you are going to have bad teamwork. So all reports are valid imo.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not entirely sure why it's ok to ruin the game experience for people in QM but not in Comp? Is it because of some (ultimately) meaningless SR number that's displayed in comp?
Surely playing against AI is where you go to learn a character anyway?
If I'm trying to learn a character in QM and everyone else is screwing about because it's QM, how do I learn how to work the hero with my team?

Associate
there is no 'experience' to ruin in QP, you either get deathmatch or people just playing whatever the hell they randomly click on, OR you get people warming up for competitive, and there is no penalty for leaving (up to 15 games) and no rank to lose because some person decides oh this sombra looks cool, i wonder what she does, oh sorry guys enjoy your loss.

Soldato
I've done it myself recently. I've never really played McCree before, but new 3 on 3 rules forced me to play some other DPS and I've decided to learn McCree. QP is the obvious thing to do. Even just playing 3 or 4 QP games I feel I have a better grasp of what to do with him now. It doesn't matter that we weren't playing all that serious. One game we had no healer at all. Does it really matter? I die a bit more often, sure, but it doesn't stop me learning how to play McCree.

I'm probably already at a point I could take McCree in Comp and not have a negative effect on the game, so I might consider it. (Probably not until I've done an hour or so more in QP though)

Soldato
If you are using Comp to 'learn' i hope I never have the misfortune to play with you in this game
It's funny because just earlier you questioned if English was my first language but you seem to be the one having issues. On that note, I wonder if you read my posts in a Scottish accent*.

I have never claimed that people should use competitive play to learn new characters, nor have I defended people doing so. They should probably start with some vs AI then go to QP, if they wen't straight to comp they're likely going to have a bad day.

if you don't understand the hero synergy with the one you're playing and the rest of your team, you don't understand the mechanics of the hero, you don't understand the abilities of the hero, then you ARE griefing your team mates in comp, you are trolling, you are going to have bad teamwork. So all reports are valid imo.
But that's my point, it's not griefing or trolling in any sense of either word. Whereas say abusing reporting mechanics could be.

DampCat for example wasn't deliberately trying to ruin anyone else's fun, he wasn't deliberately being bad at the game, he was just playing the game.

The point is, there is a difference between telling someone your opinion on how the game should be played in competitive and using in game tools inappropriately to report people. It's just unsporting, but you guys are just so butthurt that someone might ruin your imaginary numbers that you can't see that.

* I'm English

Back
Top Bottom