Overwatch

Soldato
DampCat for example wasn't deliberately trying to ruin anyone else's fun, he wasn't deliberately being bad at the game, he was just playing the game.

The point is, there is a difference between telling someone your opinion on how the game should be played in competitive and using in game tools inappropriately to report people. It's just unsporting, but you guys are just so butthurt that someone might ruin your imaginary numbers that you can't see that.

* I'm English

You understand we've all said we wouldn't have reported Dampcat in his example?

Also, why are the numbers imaginary? I don't think they are. I can see it on my screen. They'r right there. I'll get you a screenshot if you like? They are no more imaginary then your bank balance in your online banking!

(And it was me that questioned what your first language was :p )

As we've said, and you seem to be missing (possibly selectively? Are you trolling? Do we need to report you?), we wouldn't have reported DampCat, this argument is about if there is a difference to QP and Comp. It's really not complicated. Yes there is. Unsporting is hurting your team for selfish reasons, like practising a character you have no idea what you're doing with, or in a worse case, having a strop, changing to Mei and walling your team in spawn (I've seen it).

Soldato
I never questioned your first language ? I think you've got me confused with someone else there.
Yea sorry, getting you confused with Andy.

As we've said, and you seem to be missing (possibly selectively? Are you trolling? Do we need to report you?), we wouldn't have reported DampCat, this argument is about if there is a difference to QP and Comp. It's really not complicated. Yes there is. Unsporting is hurting your team for selfish reasons, like practising a character you have no idea what you're doing with, or in a worse case, having a strop, changing to Mei and walling your team in spawn (I've seen it).
Had he gone into competitive... The only difference between QP and Comp is those numbers (and the slight difference in scoring), anything else is an imaginary set of rules and regulations imposed by this community of people under pain of retribution by reporting tools.

If someone going into comp and being crap ruins your day then that's your problem, not theirs.

If Blizzard had put in a cap like "you must spend x amount of hours playing y character before using it in comp" then fair enough, but that doesn't exist. Same as someone else mentioned above that someone wouldn't switch out of Torbjörn, now yea, it can be annoying... But Blizzard advises this is NOT a reason to report.

If you don't care about imaginary numbers then stay out of competitive.

They are no more imaginary then your bank balance in your online banking!

Overwatch, serious business.

Soldato
But the win and loss number of QM are recorded in your profile, why are those numbers not also important, why is it ok to mess around in QM and ruin those? Who decides which ones are important?

Also it sounds like if I want to play a game where people are trying to win I have to play in comp as QM is where you mess about. What if I want to try a hero in a match where people aren't messing about?

Associate
Just to help me understand where you are coming from, what are your ranks Googaly and V4ntom ?

And I always try and win, QP or Comp, i just dont care if I lose in QP because 5 other people might not be trying to win. In comp I expect everyone to want to win.

Soldato
Just to help me understand where you are coming from, what are your ranks Googaly and V4ntom ?

And I always try and win, QP or Comp, i just dont care if I lose in QP because 5 other people might not be trying to win. In comp I expect everyone to want to win.

I've not played ranked in so long I don't have one. All my friends have moved on (to PUBG mostly) so I rarely play at all these days.

Play QP. Just because people could be messing about, doesn't mean everyone is. QP to get the hang of you guy, then head on in to Comp.

QP is mainly used to 'warm up', from my experience.

How are people not understanding this?

Chris C also said you need to understand the synergy of the character you're playing with the rest of the team. But in QM people only play DPS or Hanzo so it's hard to know the synergy of a hero with the setup you get in a comp match.

Why is rank so important?
Also, surely the people that mess about and ruin games don't get to the high ranks? When I watch Valkia's stream he doesn't seem to complain about it much at Master/GM rank. When I watch Plat/Diamond rank streamers I do notice more complaints about team comp and it seems worse again when you move down to Gold.

Associate
You don't have to play hanzo and zarya to understand their ults combo really well you can just read about it, you have to play them to understand their mechanics, like how to use zarya second bubble properly, it NOT to build charge. learn that **** in QP rather than rock up in comp using your projected barrier to get 20 energy

You don't have to play sombra to know that getting your team to sue hacked health packs is a good way to fast build ult and neutralise a rein, but you have to have played her a bit before you will be any good at using her teleport and getting tino the right position to EMP them down or take out a healer.

if rank isn't important to you, then QP is your game

Soldato
You don't have to play hanzo and zarya to understand their ults combo really well you can just read about it, you have to play them to understand their mechanics, like how to use zarya second bubble properly, it NOT to build charge. learn that **** in QP rather than rock up in comp using your projected barrier to get 20 energy

You don't have to play sombra to know that getting your team to sue hacked health packs is a good way to fast build ult and neutralise a rein, but you have to have played her a bit before you will be any good at using her teleport and getting tino the right position to EMP them down or take out a healer.

if rank isn't important to you, then QP is your game
But I'd like to try to win and a 5 dps + me comp doesn't seem ideal or all that much fun (I'm not saying the enemy team is usually much better)

Associate
Then pick a character you are good at in comp and try to win, not the one you don't have a clue on.

I've not played ranked in so long I don't have one. All my friends have moved on (to PUBG mostly) so I rarely play at all these days.

We're unlikely to run into each other then so learn in whatever rank it puts you in because I don't think it'll be the same one as me thankfully.

Soldato
Then pick a character you are good at in comp and try to win, not the one you don't have a clue on.

We're unlikely to run into each other then so learn in whatever rank it puts you in because I don't think it'll be the same one as me thankfully.
Yeah I'm in one of the scrub tiers (Bronze - Diamond), so it probably doesn't make much difference if you play QM or Comp at those levels.

You're all missing the one crucial aspect of the argument that makes it moot...

Blizzard don't do jack **** with the reports anyway so who cares who gets reported for what?
That's true. I was in a game of Heroes of the Storm the other day where one person asked us to report another player for being "his/her boyfriend".
But you also constantly get asked to report this player or that player because they suck. Which is not an option in the HotS report tool.
Also, they need to remember that if they're playing with that person then they're at a similar skill level.

Soldato
Yeah I'm in one of the scrub tiers (Bronze - Diamond), so it probably doesn't make much difference if you play QM or Comp at those levels.

And that's the whole point we're discussing. It can be seen you don't 'get it', so I would simply say my advice would be you shouldn't play comp unless you know what you're doing with the character your playing. It does matter down in Gold or Silver. Why do you think I don't matter to me simply because I'm not as good as others?

Blizzard don't do jack **** with the reports anyway so who cares who gets reported for what?

You could be right, but I did read an interview that said they had or are working towards a system that tried to team griefers with other griefers...

Soldato
I think both the reporting system and the matchmaking have a long way to go to be honest...

Was in a game just yesterday, attacking on Numbani... we made it the whole way to the end during overtime but our Rein was perhaps not quite playing his best, made a few poor charges etc. but nothing too bad and this guy started laying into him "what a bronze Rein" etc. etc. (for reference this game was at ~2900) of course the guy playing Rein then refused and went Torb for the defense round, to which the original guy switched to Widow because (and I quote) "I don't care anyway, this isn't my main it's just my fun account"... Despite his better efforts to throw we somehow pulled out a win anyway but he still wasn't happy... The fact that people know they can be so blatant about it shows how pathetic and nonthreatening the current report system really is...

Or another game the other night with Mrs.Rufus, who was playing Mercy in a real tough game we had on Anubis... After both teams managed to cap both points a guy on our team started laying into her "why didn't you res?" "why didn't you save your res?" "this mercy is so bad"... In a bizarre twist several on the team including me stood up for her - it was a close game and they had a Genji who was focusing our supports... the guys response? He switched Torb and tried to throw because (and I quote again) "this mercy should not be allowed to rank up"...

Yes none of it is surprising in a competitive game but it'd be nice if Blizzard actually did something about it - once they get replays etc. working I'd welcome something similar to CS:GO's "Overwatch" system (coincidental name!) where nominated/proven members of the community have games of frequently reported players sent to them to review - each case is sent to several people and if the majority agree with the reports a ban is issued... Pay the volunteers in lootboxes or something and boom you've instantly got the manpower to investigate at least a half-decent number of cases. Hopefully as it emerges that players being jerks are actually getting suspended banned it will act as discouragement to others

Soldato
Yes none of it is surprising in a competitive game but it'd be nice if Blizzard actually did something about it - once they get replays etc. working I'd welcome something similar to CS:GO's "Overwatch" system (coincidental name!) where nominated/proven members of the community have games of frequently reported players sent to them to review - each case is sent to several people and if the majority agree with the reports a ban is issued... Pay the volunteers in lootboxes or something and boom you've instantly got the manpower to investigate at least a half-decent number of cases. Hopefully as it emerges that players being jerks are actually getting suspended banned it will act as discouragement to others

That's a great idea. As I started reading it I thought it was too big a task, but if you crowd source it, why not!

Associate
I think a lot of disgruntlement that goes around eventually does get ironed out by matchmaking.

If someone is just unfortunately not very good with a character (or consistently trolls and throws games) then they will end up at a lower rank.

You, being a serious and good player, should move up the ranks where this happens less and less.

It might never be eliminated completely, but just report if absolutely necessary and move on. Remember this is happening to the other team too.

Always remember... maybe, just maybe... you aren't as good as you think you are and you are at the rank you deserve :p

Soldato
I do think that. You're post suggest your rank is more about if you play properly or not? I'm also sure someone that is much higher rank, could easily be at my rank as they spend half their time trolling....

Back
Top Bottom