Overwatch

I haz 4090!
Don
I'm playing every night again at the moment, but I'm invisible on battle.net. Not sure if you can still message me? I'm only playing QP at the moment though as I'm practising with Tracer.

Soldato
On a right losing streak atm, 2 wins and 10 defeats on bounce, I've gone to cack and no one i play with is working together, game keeps matching me with rank 50 players too even put me with a 96 player too

Associate
Rubbish, it's garbage at all ranks and it's also fun at all ranks.
My highest SR is 3780, so mid masters. At that rank I had games with 3 mercy 1 tricks on the team, only one of them can pick it, one goes Symmetra, the other picks Torb. (attack on route 66) what followed was definitely a garbage game. I also have a game where a clutch grav up a wall pulled their team out from Orisa shield and our DVA stuck his self destruct right under them, 5k and a win in overtime. Epic, fun, brilliant game.

I've watched streams where GMs and T500 have games ruined by 1 tricks, stream snipers, throwers and clearly boosted players. I've also watched GM games and marvelled at the team work and level of skill, really close overtime victories or defeats. No salt, just great play and close games.
Pattern repeats at diamond except everyone shouts more and thinks they should be masters and their team is holding them back.

Plat is pretty much full of angry people from my experience. Diamonds abuse them for being plat scrubs, they call gold, silver and bronze players trash and generally don't work together. But some games, out of nowhere, someone pops up on comms, communication ensues and teamwork happens, so still fun games to be had.
Below that, I had no idea.

The game is what you make of it at the end of the day, sometimes you need to be the guy to try and get a strategy open, call out a target. And just enjoy it. I got my highest rank off tanking. Now I play DPS and I'm sitting around 3300-3400, I'm not getting angry because I can't reach masters as DPS, I'm just not good enough.

As for the mercy and junkrat changes, about bloody time. Reddit bandwagon aside she was stupidly overpowered and now people are realising they can't just play dumb and get ressed. Positioning matters, deaths count more again, and she is far easier to kill now she doesn't ult into a super fast moth. I stopped playing comp during the mercy meta because you either didn't have one and the enemy did so it might as well be 6v7 or 6v8 or you ended up stuck with 2+ mercy one tricks on your team who couldn't play any other character at anywhere near the same level, so you effectively got stuck with a DPS in a game 500SR above their skill. Now Ana is being used again, Moira is really fun, lucio / rein are back and Zen is still just as good.

(before anyone mentions it, yes I could play mercy when the team didn't have one, and sometimes I did, but it was so boring I just gave up on comp for a while)

Stu

Stu

Soldato
It is a mixed bag, and I find the best thing is to not worry about SR, try to stay positive in the face of bad matches, or take a break.

Soldato
Rubbish, it's garbage at all ranks and it's also fun at all ranks.

I was never suggesting that the quality of the team-mates and games isn't a mixed bag at all ranks... but the SR system is 100% busted at Plat and below...

Okay so you have a match where you get 3 support mains and lose? That sucks, but all of you on the team will lose the same amount of SR... win the next game and in all likelihood you'll be back where you started or thereabouts...

Compare that to Plat or lower - I can win 5 tough games in a row, clawing about 20 SR for each of them by playing my hardest, then have 2 absolutely terrible games (for the usual reasons) where try as I might I don't do particularly well and lose the best part of 50 SR for each one... Net result? I'm back where I started despite winning over double the amount of games I just lost...

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I was never suggesting that the quality of the team-mates and games isn't a mixed bag at all ranks... but the SR system is 100% busted at Plat and below...

Okay so you have a match where you get 3 support mains and lose? That sucks, but all of you on the team will lose the same amount of SR... win the next game and in all likelihood you'll be back where you started or thereabouts...

Compare that to Plat or lower - I can win 5 tough games in a row, clawing about 20 SR for each of them by playing my hardest, then have 2 absolutely terrible games (for the usual reasons) where try as I might I don't do particularly well and lose the best part of 50 SR for each one... Net result? I'm back where I started despite winning over double the amount of games I just lost...[/

This is a mystery and it sucks... win a game and get 20SR, lose a game but play really well and lose 50SR :confused:

I haz 4090!
Don
Yeah I've had a few people moaning at me for bullying them - but they're always supports on the back lines!

My QP MMR is placing me against a lot of masters players now, so it's good practise. A good Moira is tough to deal with though, I struggle with her 1v1 if the Moira is decent. You're basically forced to 1-clip her (I'm not good enough to consistently do this yet) or she bounces her healing orb around herself and tickles me to death with her ray. I generally have to blink out.

Associate
I don't think you can lose 50SR unless you quit the game early.
if you are getting +20SR for a win and -30SR for a loss then you are being carried from a performance point of view for those wins compared to other players around your skill level.
The reason performance based SR is still in below diamond is because of smurfs I think. It gets them out of those ranks much faster. If a GM smurf is on a new account they might place in plat because the system isn't great sometimes but they won't be there for long, they will get +75SR for a win and be where they belong soon enough. There was a post on the BNET forum where they actually tracked a T500 player who made a new account and within something like 50 games (which isn't really that many) he was back where he should be.

Should they remove performance SR below diamond? On the balance of things probably, either have it at all ranks or none, it should encourage people to play to win. But then again trolls gonna troll. Why be so good at OW you can get to GM then stream snipe people like TimTheTatMan. Why throw matches because Sinatra is on your team? Because they can and they don't care :(

What I think they should do to incentivise people to play comp properly is remove everything from it. Remove comp points, remove golden guns, remove all XP gain from comp, remove skins (everyone has to play with default skins). Then only people who really wanted to play comp would play it (I think). Only people who really want a rank would bother. I don't know, maybe it would work maybe not. Would Blizzard ever do anything so drastic ? Hell no.

The thing I find odd is that on my oldest account I find it much harder to climb. I wasn't very good at OW when I first got it, I hadn't played a competitive FPS in 10 years and mainly just played WoW. Every season seems more like a grind. I bought a fresh account, got to 25, did my placements and got put straight into low masters playing exactly the same characters with very similar stats in terms of win rates / K:D etc to my main account. I think it's still taking into account my not so great early OW stats.

Soldato
That could be true - I played since the beta and in the early days before comp my friends and I would mess about a lot doing silly (but fun) things like 6x Winstons etc. but I'm not willing to buy the game twice to get out of their broken system...

I don't think I'm being carried either, of course you'll occasionally get a game where you have a smurf or something on your own team but it doesn't explain this I don't think... like I say I was consistently sat between about 2750 and 3000 for 6 seasons in a row prior to this latest one and if anything I'd say I've improved during that time (certainly I die a lot less and get reasonably good stats in most games, ignoring ones where my team gets obliterated)... yet I currently am struggling to stay above 2000 and the lower you go the worse quality the games and the more it feels like you're getting dragged down even further...

If I remember I'll try and write down some stats for my games the next few sessions to back up what I'm saying, but I seem to get laughably small amounts of SR from some games despite decent stats (and likewise I seem to get punished very heavily for any defeats)...

Soldato
I've crawled up from 1947 last season to 2850 this season all down to finding a good character in Moira that suits my style. All solo Q.

I got called a "one trick pony" in the last game by 2 team mates as I have about 40 hours on moira this season. At the end of the game, they both apologised as I had 55 elims and 18k healing. I trying hard for Diamond as it will be the first time to get there for me but I seem to run into shocking teams at this level just as I get there.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Moira is a little different from the other characters because she is not a "one trick pony", being good at healing and dealing damage; however, there are a few maps where I don't think she is so good on offense, mainly when the area is more open. However, unless there are already 2 healers picked (very rare), she is not a terrible choice in any situation.

@booyaka do you have any tips to share? I rarely use her healing orb except for when we team rush an objective, and very occasionally to self heal if isolated and there are no health pack around. I use fade mainly to move quickly between team mates to increase healing coverage, to dart through a choke, and to chase someone low on health that is running away... I've tried using fade for escape with limited success, as I typically get caught anyway. Short bursts of heal with generous mouse wiggle work well, and her damage range is surprisingly long (I often have to remind myself that she is not short range like Symm and Winston). I'm still not sure when best to use her Q, and whether to use it quick since it charges quickly, or to save for a good moment... its heal is often more useful than the damage done.

Back
Top Bottom