Ozark - Netflix

Caporegime
Jesus man you’re really siding with Wendy on that?

I like this show overall, I find it a bit unbelievable at times but I guess shows would be boring if they stuck to the rules :p
No not siding with her at all, I’m waiting for the day a bullet is put through her head because she’s too stupid and thinks she knows better than everyone else.

Associate
This season was extremely well done, very little excess, great pacing and almost entirely character psychology driven, very little in the way of plot gimmicks. The second from last episode with the storyline with Wendy's brother, just wow, absolutely wrenching stuff.

Associate
Well that was brilliant.

Can someone explain a part I was confused about early into series 3

Helen was in Mexico I presume getting interrogated by the cartel, next minute she is back home as if nothing had happened, just had me confused at why this happened? It was around episode 2 or 3 I think.

What happened was
Helen was being tortured/interrogated by the cartel, because she was going through a divorce, and they were trying to find out whether her ex-husband knew anything that could be dangerous to them. Helen hadn't ever let him know anything, so she had to undergo the torture to prove to them that he didn't know anything. Otherwise they would have to kill him, which would destroy her daughter. So even though she hated him, she was saving his life for her daughter's sake.

Soldato
What happened was
Helen was being tortured/interrogated by the cartel, because she was going through a divorce, and they were trying to find out whether her ex-husband knew anything that could be dangerous to them. Helen hadn't ever let him know anything, so she had to undergo the torture to prove to them that he didn't know anything. Otherwise they would have to kill him, which would destroy her daughter. So even though she hated him, she was saving his life for her daughter's sake.

Thanks for that.:)

Associate
Thanks for that.:)

I think this is a good example of why I like Season 3 so much, because it felt like every single character even the smaller ones is oozing with psychological conflict under the surface at all times, usually on multiple fronts, even when the show doesn't spend much time explicitly going into it or it doesn't directly affect the plot, it still effects the tension because it has the potential to affect the plot. I really enjoyed the fact that as the season progressed, the number of possible ways things could develop just kept multiplying and it felt impossible to know for sure how the series would go.

Associate
One of the THE best shows showing on Netflix, absolutely loved seeing the development of all the characters. Is there a season 4 being planned as Ive read somewhere it'll be just the 3.

Soldato
I'm finding this falls firmly in the good, but not great bin.

While it kicks off from the same basic conceit as Breaking Bad, white collar worker goes bad into the drug world rabbit hole, the main protagonists in Ozark don't have any redeeming motivation. Well there is a paper-thin excuse they brush over, but basically they are indefensible, I find myself looking forward to people being killed off, because there's no-one to root for or care about.

Nearly finished season 2, I'll stick with it, but I'm looking forward to watching something else after. Tired of the blue tint colour grading on everything too, need some colour :p

Bloodline was a much better show imo, similar vein, but better executed.

Man of Honour
Bloodline was a much better show imo, similar vein, but better executed.

I found Bloodline really hard to get into - I think I stopped watching after 2-3 episodes even though some people said it was good. IIRC it just seemed to spend way too much time on setup/development but without really any feel for where it was going with it and I got bored.

Associate
One of the THE best shows showing on Netflix, absolutely loved seeing the development of all the characters. Is there a season 4 being planned as Ive read somewhere it'll be just the 3.

I'd be stunned beyond words if it wasn't picked up for a 4th season at the very least. This is a huge hit here in the states and judging from the comments here it's being well received in the UK as well.

Though I've been surprised by Netflix before, I just don't see them passing on a S4. :fingers crossed:

Soldato
Well let's be honest - it's Netflix, so no matter how many series you plan for you never know what is going to happen.
I thoroughly enjoyed The OA and assumed S3 was a forgone.....

Caporegime
I doubt I'll watch any more of it. There were too many u-turns in some of the main character's philosophies and way too many idiotic decisions throughout. The only semi-believable and well acted character was Ruthie for me too. It had promise but the more it went on, the more messed around with it felt in an effort to put bums on seats.

Back
Top Bottom