Paddlesports (Kayaking, Canoe, Stand-Up Paddle boards)

Soldato
Phew. Just got back from Windermere. Did just a shade under 11 miles. My previous longest was 5 mile so a big step up.

Really enjoyed it. Got up at 5:30 so I was home for 12ish. Although the weather was a mix of wind, rain and clouds. It’s blue skies now!

My body certainly hit a wall at about the 9mile mark and it was a real struggle on the final stretch. A mix of fatigue and aches muscles and I started to get a bit more wobbly.

Definitely will start trying to get up there more often.

Man of Honour
Sounds like a session. I find form goes out of the window after 5 or 6 miles.

I've been practicing race stroke a lot doing intervals of short sprints. Definitely improved. Tempted to do a vid and send to supboardermag for some comments to see what I can do better.

New kayak should arrive this week :)

Soldato
Intervals of sprints sounds good. I find i tire very quickly if i try and really pick up the pace. On flat water my average "potter" speed is around 3.4mph or around 18 mins/mile. I'm curious how quick i could actually complete a mile/Km if i could maintain a decent pace.

They seem quite good from a feedback POV from what i've seen, although i've not subscribed to their Pro model. I worry it would just convince me i need more stuff!

Man of Honour
Intervals of sprints sounds good. I find i tire very quickly if i try and really pick up the pace. On flat water my average "potter" speed is around 3.4mph or around 18 mins/mile. I'm curious how quick i could actually complete a mile/Km if i could maintain a decent pace.

They seem quite good from a feedback POV from what i've seen, although i've not subscribed to their Pro model. I worry it would just convince me i need more stuff!
I have twice asked them questions on the pro thing and had back and forth with them as a consequence. I don't think anyone could have ridden as many different boards and paddles as them, proper geeks (in a good way). Feels like my GT is pretty much the perfect board for me and don't think I would have got to that solo.

Soldato
Haha sounds like fun!

I got up earlyish to meet some guys who were heading to the sea. I’ve never been in the sea in the UK and thought it best to go with people who are more experienced.

Turned up and it was quite windy with some moderate waves around 3ft.

I was up for still going but they seemed to be against it and so we ended up on a little boating lake which was tiny and a bit crap. Definitely not worth the journey!

Consigliere
Last edited:
Consigliere
Looks like it would do the trick. Is the Arun quite slow flowing?

Where i am it is slower i think but the rest...

The river is tidal to Pallingham Quay, 25.5 miles (41.0 km) upstream from the sea at Littlehampton, and flows at 4 to 6 knots (7.4 to 11.1 km/h), making it one of the fastest flowing rivers in the country. The tidal range at Littlehampton is 17 feet (5.2 m) at spring tides and 8.8 feet (2.7 m) at neap tides.

Man of Honour
Yeah makes sense. Should be fine. The intex kayaks are worth a look as well. You see loads of people around here mooching about on them in a very relaxed way. You could have the person in the bow face the other way and not paddle

Soldato
Did you make a purchase? Seyvlar do another kayak called the Riviera that looks quite good, although i'm not sure they included a keel. The intex ones are often on sale on Amazon though worth keeping an eye on HDUK.

I got out last weekend onto the River Lune which is near Lancaster. About a 30 minute drive from my house, but it was much nicer than the canal. Probably one of my favourite paddles so far. Got around 2 miles downstream and then came to a series of weirs so turns around as didn't have too much time. I hope to return and look at portaging to get around them and carrying on. Also went down a very tiny weir which was excellent fun.

@Skidder still getting wet in your Kayak?

Back
Top Bottom