Paddlesports (Kayaking, Canoe, Stand-Up Paddle boards)

Man of Honour
@Skidder I watched those technique videos on Friday. I've watched a few videos on technique but this was the first one which suggested imagining putting the paddle in mud and then using the core to pull yourself forward rather than using your arms to pull the paddle back to you.

Saturday i got out and did around 4 miles, my core has been killing over the weekend from it! I definitely tired in the last mile and my technique suffered. Not helped my a fairly heavy headwind. At one point an old man on the side was stopped to chat to me and i was being blown backwards and had to paddle just to stay level with him. That really tested my balance as it's much harder on this board to balance without having that forward momentum.

Shows i have a long way to go before i can think about 4-5hr paddles!

Good work, I've really been trying to work on the hip hinge and core.

Had a similar experience to you on Sat. Did about 13-14k total. Downriver then back up. After rain got the flow up end of last week and with a headwind way back was sloooow.

Soldato
Sold my old board as someone offered me £10 less than i paid for it, it was also quite a heavy board and i decided i'd like something lighter for traveling. I'd also like something a little more stable for if i go to the Lake District in Winter and it's a bit windy and i'd spend too much time in the water on my 27" board.

Would love the Red Compact 11, but at £1300 it seems stupid to spend that much on something that's not my main board. I then saw some great reviews on SupboarderPro for the Aztron Nova. It folds in a similar way to the Red, but only costs around £320.

However after speaking to one retailer which sells it, he seemed to suggest i look elsewhere, not least as i'm on the bigger side of life and also he's not as impressed with it. He suggested instead i look at boards at the cheaper end of the scale which whilst not being overly stiff, would roll up really tight and so be very packable, and leave space in the bag for clothes. Plus i could take a decent 3 piece paddle rather than resorting to a 5 piece which i imagine would be pretty bendy.

He suggested the Aquatone Flame, it comes in around £400 and at 11'6x32 seems a great size for a backup board. Not too long to be out of place in the sea but also not too short to be constantly in circles.

https://www.reactivewatersports.co.uk/shop/aquatone-flame-touring-range~3211.html

I then saw the cheapest Fanatic at £470 and think it could be a contender. I've always like the looks of the Fanatics.

https://www.thesupco.com/sup-boards-c1/fanatic-11ft-6-x-31ins-ray-air-pure-2020-p1155

@Skidder What board do you tend to take away with you?

Man of Honour
Result on your sale. I think the red compact is ridiculous at that price. Not a fan of Red in general, their marketing winds me up some how! Seem unnecessarily smug. I get more excited about the brands with racing / hard board know how making isups personally.

Don't know about Aquatone but can certainly vouch for fanatic. I've taken my fanaatic to the med 5 or 6 times and all good. Looks a nice board. This looks good too: https://www.thesupco.com/sup-boards-c1/jp-12-6-cruisair-le-2018-p376

A neighbout just picked up a 12.6 starboard allstar carbon for about £900. It is the 24 inch and tippy but a bargain for a new board (that nobody wants I guess). Looking forward to trying it though.

Soldato
I'm the same with Red, although i did get a Red half zip mid layer for my birthday from my mother in law which has a lovely feel to it.

Might give the guy at Sup Inflatables a call since i've only recently bought my other board to see if he can do a deal, i wouldn't want the Fanatic paddle and pump and presumably that has (some) retail value. I know Fanatic do a "Travel" sup which rolls up really tight, and comes with smaller accessories. That's tempting. Stick that in a normal wheely back and i bet there's loads of space, but it wouldn't quite have the "backup" factor of the 11'6 version.

Aquatone is apparently is subsidiary of Aztron. Their boards seem to get quite well reviewed given the price. I think the cheap chinese end of the market are a lot better than they were a few years back and not just bendy pieces of crap.

That JP is a little more than i'd want to spend and 12'6x34 feels a bit bigger than i'd want. The RRD looks interesting though, although still a bit big at 12'6. Is that the same range as the one you bought for your son?

That's a bargain for the Starboard. I eyed up the 14x28" version but at £1400 i decided i preferred going with the Gladiator at half the price and then buying a second board for different conditions rather than trying to have 1 board for everything.

Man of Honour
That RRD is their tourer. I bought the race once. It is ridiculously cool looking for an inflatable. I think the tourer is a bit more basic looking but still smart.

Paddled it today. Keeps me on my toes and makes the JP feel so stable. Doesn't do what you want tough as the last thing it is is stable.

I manage to get a longboard, inflatable windsurf sail, pump, smaller skateboard and a 3 piece paddle in my bag along with my fantatic when I travel so never been worried about travel size boards.

Man of Honour
I'm in the process of ordering a K1 kayak. Bit nervous as only every paddle plastic touring boats and don't want to take my eye off my SUP progress but excited for the learning curve.

Man of Honour
:)

I have an iRig sail for my fanatic and it does get some use on holidays but I used to windsurf so at least didn't need to learn. It's good fun in a breeze and only takes a couple mins to set up.

Wings also look like a good laugh and don't need the mast foot insert.

Soldato
Winning, ordered the Fanatic in the end, i found a store which would switch out the pump for the small Nano version and also had 10% off, so came in at £475 in the end. Can live with that.

Also good to have a backup board again for if friends want to have a go.

Man of Honour
Nice work. Big fan of fanatic. You will be pleased I'm sure. More watercraft the better when friends are about. We go out now as a family, 3 of us on boards and one in a kayay or sometimes 2 and 2.

Soldato
The Damn Fanatic is out of stock, so a fair wait i think given the current shipping issues from China.

I did spend a little time wondering whether it would be good enough as a backup board rather than just a holiday board given it's single skin, and whether i'd be better getting something more "Travel" based and then a cheap double skin 11'6 board, but that feels a little daft.

I'm heading to Coniston in the Lakes tomorrow with some people so it'll be a good test as to how i feel on this 27" board on more open water. Also met up with someone local through facebook on Monday, it's certainly nice being out with company rather than always on your own.

It's definitely getting more popular, i saw a couple on the canal yesterday and chatted to them for a while, then they posted some pics on Facebook and had a lot of comments from other people who paddle the same stretch. It's just the first time i've seen anyone.

Man of Honour
Nice one re getting out and meeting people. River is rammed here (with paddlers not boats). There is quite an active facebook community on our stretch of river that gets together. I don't get involved to be honest but it is nice to see them out and about.

Hoping to hear my new kayak is finished soon. Got a set of wing paddles and have had a play with those. Expecting to get wet when the k1 arrives.

One of my good mates has just decided to buy a starboard touring zen in the 14ft with a plan to doing some touring together once he has got his eye in.

Enjoy Coniston. I bet that is lovely.

Soldato
Yes, i can't wait. Plus it means i can practice some pivot turns and general walking around the board without fear of falling in the canal. Especially yesterday there seemed to be a lot of oil on the surface. The quality is really suffering as houseboats aren't allowed to move around so none of the locks are opening to allow water flow.

Man of Honour
My brother in law was saying the same about the river wey. He paddles there and said it is in a bit of state with slow moving water and nothing distrubding it. He has left his tandem kayak at my house so had a play with that yesterday. Interesting trying to get into a rythm with a nine year old on the front.

Back
Top Bottom