Paddlesports (Kayaking, Canoe, Stand-Up Paddle boards)

Soldato
Anyone got any recommendations for a good spot to paddleboard in South West Wales? Got a trip there later this month and thinking of taking the boards. Will take the kids too, so it must be easily accessible by car.

Soldato
Well as an update I received the footrests from China after struggling to buy from UK suppliers and on first impressions, they look pretty decent for the money.

When I finally get around to fitting I'll post up a couple of photos.

Associate
OP
Anyone still getting out there? I'm doing Farndon to Eccleston on the River Dee tomorrow. Wanted a bit of experience on a moving river which should be fun!

Associate
Am still going regular once a week on river canal but have a very aggressive swan (now with cygnets) to get past not far from where I get in. It's actually been flapping away on the board the last 2 sessions:eek:! bit off putting:(!

Soldato
Am still going regular once a week on river canal but have a very aggressive swan (now with cygnets) to get past not far from where I get in. It's actually been flapping away on the board the last 2 sessions:eek:! bit off putting:(!

We had this the other week. One followed us for around half a mile, just constantly charging us down. Then once it finally left us alone it must've stayed in the same place as the return journey had the same happen, only now it was half a mile to the nest and then half a mile the other way!

It actually landed on my mates board at one point. It's a good job he's better than me, as i'd have ended up wet i think!

Associate
We had this the other week. One followed us for around half a mile, just constantly charging us down. Then once it finally left us alone it must've stayed in the same place as the return journey had the same happen, only now it was half a mile to the nest and then half a mile the other way!

It actually landed on my mates board at one point. It's a good job he's better than me, as i'd have ended up wet i think!

Yep damn bird waiting for me on way back too.....It's like trying get past the boss on the final level of a computer game! Am planning heading out tomorrow morning wish me luck :)

Associate
OP
@MM-Seat @BadMojo

Unsure of your plans, but i'm trying to get my mate to head to Lytham tomorrow night, mainly to get him to sign some forms!. The wind looks to drop down (it's pretty bad tonight), and it's high tide at half 7 which is a reasonable time.

I know you're both local if you were up for it.
Just seen this! That would have been good (although I’m currently wiped out following covid).

Hope your paddle was good?

Soldato
Made it out in the end. The Anderton boat lift was underwhelming.

Set off from the Leigh Arms in Northwich, paddled for about 4 miles, at which point my mate suggested turning around, but carried on a little longer and reached it. Luckily there was a cafe so got a decent coffee, then turned around and got battered by a wind which annoyingly wasn't there on our way out!

Finished around 9 miles. What i have been happy with is stamina recently. Considering i've rarely paddled, i seem to have no issues with 8-10 mile paddles, whereas there was a time i'd ache at even 4 miles.

What was annoying was a screw came loose in the paddle clamp on the last outing and fell out, I managed to replace that prior to this paddle, only for the other one to come loose on this paddle meaning the 2 parts slid around. Luckily a passing barge had a knife i used to tighten it up :D

Soldato
So how much would I be looking to spend on a good SUP to get me started? Already have a few Intex boats which have been fun to take to Lake District but boards look a lot more fun.

Associate
OP
So how much would I be looking to spend on a good SUP to get me started? Already have a few Intex boats which have been fun to take to Lake District but boards look a lot more fun.
Really hard to look past the Gladiator range at sup inflatables for quality and value for money.

This is the smaller version of my board (mine is 10 ft 8 but, I am 112kgs).

It’s great for learning and being an all round board. I still have it to take mates out when they want to have a go.

Fair warning though, if the bug bites you’ll want something different. I’ve bought a 12ft 6 board now which is much quicker due to the length and how narrow it is and I’d like a bigger one again for touring purposes. If you are into surfing you’ll want a shorter board, etc.

@Martynt74 did the same and now has a hard board. I remember him saying that his recommendation would be a fanatic 11.6 for a beginner. Bit more expensive but, I think it’s a really good bit of advice and fanatic are one of the big brands.

What would you envisage doing with it? Bit of messing, touring lakes, surfing, etc?

Soldato
As above, it kind of depends on what you plan to do with it, a mate bought an old Lidl board about 5 years ago which still gets regular use (he gave it to his brother who lives in Tenby after he upgraded). I know both Aldi and Lidl are doing them at the moment.

I'd always suggest something 11'6 over a pure beginner board of 10'6, but for £200 and for what you might want it for, the supermarket brands might be a decent option to start with. Then as @MM-Seat says, you can then get carried away constantly!

@MM-Seat speaking of, my Fatstick hard board might be available at some point. With looking to move to Spain it doesn't seem worth the hassle/cost shipping it over

Associate
OP
Also, I am canoe and kayak coach and looking to get qualified as similar for a sup. I’d say for 90% of paddlers, a sup is the way to go.

Also, I think an inflatable sup is closer to the quality of a hardboard compared to a plastic and inflatable kayak so that’s another plus.
As above, it kind of depends on what you plan to do with it, a mate bought an old Lidl board about 5 years ago which still gets regular use (he gave it to his brother who lives in Tenby after he upgraded). I know both Aldi and Lidl are doing them at the moment.

I'd always suggest something 11'6 over a pure beginner board of 10'6, but for £200 and for what you might want it for, the supermarket brands might be a decent option to start with. Then as @MM-Seat says, you can then get carried away constantly!

@MM-Seat speaking of, my Fatstick hard board might be available at some point. With looking to move to Spain it doesn't seem worth the hassle/cost shipping it over

Just reminded me that Lidl has some mistral boards that I’ve seen in action for £200. Might be a good board for occasional use?

Ohhh…. How big is the fat stick? I’ve lost track!! What would you be looking for it.

Back
Top Bottom