Paddlesports (Kayaking, Canoe, Stand-Up Paddle boards)

Soldato
Really hard to look past the Gladiator range at sup inflatables for quality and value for money.

This is the smaller version of my board (mine is 10 ft 8 but, I am 112kgs).

It’s great for learning and being an all round board. I still have it to take mates out when they want to have a go.

Fair warning though, if the bug bites you’ll want something different. I’ve bought a 12ft 6 board now which is much quicker due to the length and how narrow it is and I’d like a bigger one again for touring purposes. If you are into surfing you’ll want a shorter board, etc.

@Martynt74 did the same and now has a hard board. I remember him saying that his recommendation would be a fanatic 11.6 for a beginner. Bit more expensive but, I think it’s a really good bit of advice and fanatic are one of the big brands.

What would you envisage doing with it? Bit of messing, touring lakes, surfing, etc?

Well I'm not far off your weight so might need to go for something bigger to begin with.

For now just thinking of using it around Lake District but then again I live 10 min drive away from the sea so in the future would make sense to have something I can use there I suppose.

Associate
OP
So I’ve just reached 80 hours board time from 28 sessions. Not bad going.

Going to start my circumnavigations of the Welsh lakes this weekend starting with Llyn Padarn.

Hopefully not too far off assessment for my sup coaching award.

taB

taB

Associate
I’d say for 90% of paddlers, a sup is the way to go.

I'd be keen to hear why you think this. Back in the day I taught BCU lvl 2 for a bit (it's probably totally changed since) but whenever I'm given the option of SUP or Kayak it's the latter I want to use. If I'm missing something, would be good to know as will be getting the kids more on the water soon.

Associate
OP
I'd be keen to hear why you think this. Back in the day I taught BCU lvl 2 for a bit (it's probably totally changed since) but whenever I'm given the option of SUP or Kayak it's the latter I want to use. If I'm missing something, would be good to know as will be getting the kids more on the water soon.
If by BCU level 2 you mean 2* does that make you a BCU coach? (If so, I’m a similar level in the new scheme).

I feel for 90% of users they are infrequent and only want to have the option when the weather is perfect. Therefore, the low barriers of entry in terms of skill (especially for an open boat) and cost make them a great craft for the casual user.

Personally, I paddle a SUP more frequently because I don’t have room to store a kayak or a canoe (open boat being my favourite craft). The sport is way more accessible because of this which we can see by how many people are out on a nice day.

Soldato
I think i'd agree with that. I would've thought skill requirements would be higher for a kayak, things like being able to roll back upright etc being crucial. I would probably say that for someone going out and going for a "paddle" then perhaps a kayak is better, you can go much faster and have a real good trip out. But a SUP allows much more "pottering" and social style paddles. It's also fun to watch people fall off and wobble a lot :D

I think when i'm in Spain i might consider a sea kayak. Possibly the inflatable style, but going for a proper Dropstitch style rather than the cheaper inflatable Intex ones.

Associate
OP
Anyone been getting out? Since I started this thread I’ve clocked in 117 paddles and 300+ hours of paddling. Split equally amongst canoeing, kayaking and paddleboarding.

I think i'd agree with that. I would've thought skill requirements would be higher for a kayak, things like being able to roll back upright etc being crucial. I would probably say that for someone going out and going for a "paddle" then perhaps a kayak is better, you can go much faster and have a real good trip out. But a SUP allows much more "pottering" and social style paddles. It's also fun to watch people fall off and wobble a lot :D

I think when i'm in Spain i might consider a sea kayak. Possibly the inflatable style, but going for a proper Dropstitch style rather than the cheaper inflatable Intex ones.
If you ever wanted a go of a sea kayak before your move I could probably arrange that through the canoe club.

Soldato
Yeah that's be good.

Just had 2 weeks in Spain, managed a single paddle of about 30 minutes. In all honesty i found it a little boring and ended up turning around earlier than intended. I love being out at home with a mate as we get a decent chat in over a few hours, but being out on my own just seems a bit boring and slow. I'd much rather be out running or cycling where it's more varied.

Soldato
@MM-Seat You still interested in my Fatstick? Tried sending you a conversation but it said i couldn't start a conversation with you for some reason.

I got out the other week, definitely feel like my balance is much improved. Not sure of the reason as i've not paddled much, but i always remember the initial 30 seconds or so feeling wobbly. However the last few times i've been on the canal i've pretty much just stood on the board from the bank and set off, vs getting on on my knees and then moving to a standing position from there.

Associate
OP
@MM-Seat You still interested in my Fatstick? Tried sending you a conversation but it said i couldn't start a conversation with you for some reason.

I got out the other week, definitely feel like my balance is much improved. Not sure of the reason as i've not paddled much, but i always remember the initial 30 seconds or so feeling wobbly. However the last few times i've been on the canal i've pretty much just stood on the board from the bank and set off, vs getting on on my knees and then moving to a standing position from there.
Just seen this. Probably not a good time for me to buy with various things. What a shame!

Does this mean you are moving to Spain?

Soldato
Just seen this. Probably not a good time for me to buy with various things. What a shame!

Does this mean you are moving to Spain?

Yeah, realistically not for ~15 months or so, but it could possibly come a little sooner, especially with the recent news of a "Digital Nomad" visa actually becoming reality which would make things easier and allow us to move prior to my wife getting her Irish citizenship.

Not really in a rush, just the realisation that it *could* take a while to sell and so it makes sense to start advertising things now, especially those that wouldn't inconvenience us in the meantime.

Associate
OP
Yeah, realistically not for ~15 months or so, but it could possibly come a little sooner, especially with the recent news of a "Digital Nomad" visa actually becoming reality which would make things easier and allow us to move prior to my wife getting her Irish citizenship.

Not really in a rush, just the realisation that it *could* take a while to sell and so it makes sense to start advertising things now, especially those that wouldn't inconvenience us in the meantime.
Ah brilliant, hope it all goes well for you both.

Associate
Still getting out weekly as much as possible on Gladiator though not able the last 3 weeks (due too weather and home issues)
Coming up too 2 years on the Gladiator 14 x 27 and has worked out to be a perfect fit
Today was good too be back on canal again. Great conditions :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Friends are trying to get me on a paddleboard in the North Sea. It might actually be happening this Friday. SUP, wetsuit, gloves and boots provided they're that keen...

Never done it before. Not excited.

Any tips?

Soldato
Friends are trying to get me on a paddleboard in the North Sea. It might actually be happening this Friday. SUP, wetsuit, gloves and boots provided they're that keen...

Never done it before. Not excited.

Any tips?

No real tips, other than sometimes the opposite to what you think can be most beneficial. In that i always thought that standing as wide as i could (assuming you're on a wide board), would be best for balance, but it was also easy to overload one side and cause more rocking. Bringing your stance closer to centre may be easier.

Otherwise the big one would be not to look down at your feet, try and just look ahead. It helps balance hugely :)

The biggest one obviously is to just try to enjoy it :p

Soldato
No real tips, other than sometimes the opposite to what you think can be most beneficial. In that i always thought that standing as wide as i could (assuming you're on a wide board), would be best for balance, but it was also easy to overload one side and cause more rocking. Bringing your stance closer to centre may be easier.

Otherwise the big one would be not to look down at your feet, try and just look ahead. It helps balance hugely :)

The biggest one obviously is to just try to enjoy it :p
The board is a Bluefin A Cruise 10' 8 I've been told. Thanks for the tips on balance. Are you saying to keep feet tight together bang on the centre of the board or stand at whatever width as long as both feet are down the (longitudinal) centreline of the board?

I'm told I'll be warm in the wetsuit, which I'll take with a pinch of salt :cry: water will be around 8 degrees but I'm not too fussed. I'm sure I'll have a good time - I've just read my previous post again and my sarcasm didn't read back unfortunately, I should use more emojis so I don't read like a whiner :p

Soldato
The board is a Bluefin A Cruise 10' 8 I've been told. Thanks for the tips on balance. Are you saying to keep feet tight together bang on the centre of the board or stand at whatever width as long as both feet are down the (longitudinal) centreline of the board?

I'm told I'll be warm in the wetsuit, which I'll take with a pinch of salt :cry: water will be around 8 degrees but I'm not too fussed. I'm sure I'll have a good time - I've just read my previous post again and my sarcasm didn't read back unfortunately, I should use more emojis so I don't read like a whiner :p

Not quite tight together as there's a handle in the middle. More just shoulder width apart rather than reaching out to the very edges for the widest stance. That board is 32" wide (i used to own one). It's only what i found useful for me though so you might find another method which works for you.

Your friends will likely have some advice anyway.

My other advise would usually be to fall in straight away, that way you don't have the "fear". However if it's freezing then that might not be best!

Associate
OP
Not quite tight together as there's a handle in the middle. More just shoulder width apart rather than reaching out to the very edges for the widest stance. That board is 32" wide (i used to own one). It's only what i found useful for me though so you might find another method which works for you.

Your friends will likely have some advice anyway.

My other advise would usually be to fall in straight away, that way you don't have the "fear". However if it's freezing then that might not be best!
I agree, doesn’t need to be more than shoulder width apart. Some bend in your knee will drop your centre of gravity and help balance as well.

Also…. You only get 70% effort from someone on a board until they are wet. Then it’s 100%!!!

Back
Top Bottom