Paddlesports (Kayaking, Canoe, Stand-Up Paddle boards)

Soldato
Bah, mums just emailed to say that i've left the hose for my pump over there. Have 3 options

1 - Buy a new hose (Around £10) - Cheapest and most sensible option

2 - Buy an electric pump (Around £70) - Lazy option. Would be handy though and would be great for Spain as it was a bit of a pain having to pump it up each day. Cons being that they don't seem ultra reliable from reviews and it's a bit of a minefield.

3 - Buy a Red Titan (Also around £70) - There's a lot of air leakage on my Bluefin pump which isn't very efficient. I reckon with a dual chamber Titan it'd be quick/easier and still give me the flexibility away from the car. Might try and try one out to see how much of an improvement it is over mine.

Associate
OP
@MM-Seat How've you been getting on with paddling?

I went to visit my folks in Spain last week and took my board with me. Figured the cost of the bag in the hold would be similar to the hiring costs anyway. Plus my mum said she'd always fancied it so it gave her more chance to try it out (including practising in the pool with no-one watching!)

What i found amusing was just how bad some people are at it. There were lots of people trying it out in the bay (pic above in post 47), and loads just couldn't stand up for longer than a few seconds. Made me feel like a pro!

Depending on how often i head over there, i might leave my board there and pick up a longer board for over here. With hold costs being around £60 per trip then it pays for itself after about 5 times. Plus it's there for my parents/friends and with having the kayak seat it might be better for them.

Nice one, I've not been out as much due to just coming back from the states but, looking to get serious again in the next few weeks. I am determined to get a solid roll this winter in the pool.

I achieved my permits so I can take the local Scout Group out on sheltered water which will be great once I get round to it. I'm also looking into some Coaching Quals so that I can offer coaching to the group rather than taster sessions. I'm doing similar with Hillwalking (Course in Feb!)

We have been looking at some iSUPs as we have limited storage space at the group. Which one did you get?

Soldato
Sounds like a lot going on!

I got the Bluefin Cruise, have had decent comments on it from far more experienced people about it's lack of flex which is positive. Amazon had then cheap for their "Prime Day" with them being as cheap as £359 for the 10"8 model, which included all the accessories you'd need.

Maybe worth keeping an eye out on the Black Friday sales. Otherwise the Decathlon ones always seem quite well rated at the cheaper end.

I've spent most of this afternoon looking at touring boards. Hoping a decent meet get together locally so i can try a few out as i think now i'm a bit better i may be able to drop down to a 29"/30" width which would help a lot with glide.

Soldato
Dammit

Had an email from Bluefin about their BF sales, and they had an ex demo version of the 14" x 30" board for £179 (b grade) or £199 (a grade). Annoyingly i didn't have my wallet with me and now i do they've all sold.

Whilst i'd been thinking about higher end touring boards, i don't think i could've said no at that price!

Associate
OP
Dammit

Had an email from Bluefin about their BF sales, and they had an ex demo version of the 14" x 30" board for £179 (b grade) or £199 (a grade). Annoyingly i didn't have my wallet with me and now i do they've all sold.

Whilst i'd been thinking about higher end touring boards, i don't think i could've said no at that price!

I'd have had some for the scouts at that price! What price are they usually

Caporegime
Just finished a week of kayaking in Belize. We rented a couple of Prijon Kodiaks from a local company who also helped with trip planning.

Very different from our previous tropical trip (Philippines) as it was more open water and included a lot more open crossings (island hopping), but the reefs and snorkelling was great. Also got to see some dolphins and a turtle.

Definitely recommended if you’re confident with more open water kayaking (longest crossing was 12km island to island, with most being around 4-6km). I believe you can also do SUP there, but you’d likely need a support boat which would make it a LOT more expensive.

Man of Honour
Beautiful. I've been to Belize once and had a mega time (along with Honduras and Yucutan Peninsula of Mexico). The sea there is amazing. Sounds very cool what you did. We did more snorkeling and stuff, little bit of a kayak tour but with a bunch of remedials so pretty short. Still beggars can't be choosers I won the holiday in a raffle :p

I'm going to paddle to Kingston and back in the morning, that doesn't have quite the same ring as Belize does it.

Man of Honour
Thames is not as mental as it was a week or so ago but still flowing fast. Probably 1.5 feet higher than normal.

For anyone interested in winter sup I seem finally to have hit the sweet spot in terms of footwear. Westuit boots just weren't working for me really. I now am wearing sealskinz waterproof socks, then a pair of neporene socks for warmth, then cheap self draining gul sailing shoes. Dry, nimble enough on my feet and warm.

Caporegime
Beautiful. I've been to Belize once and had a mega time (along with Honduras and Yucutan Peninsula of Mexico). The sea there is amazing. Sounds very cool what you did. We did more snorkeling and stuff, little bit of a kayak tour but with a bunch of remedials so pretty short. Still beggars can't be choosers I won the holiday in a raffle :p

I'm going to paddle to Kingston and back in the morning, that doesn't have quite the same ring as Belize does it.

Whereabouts did you stay? We were down in Placencia in the south.

And it depends, can always pretend it’s Kingston Jamaica...;)

Man of Honour
Whereabouts did you stay? We were down in Placencia in the south.

And it depends, can always pretend it’s Kingston Jamaica...;)

I could try!

We won a cruise, we were on this by night:

windstar-cruises-transoceanic-cruise-destination-grid.jpg

Did some cool stuff, whitewater rafting in Honduras, sharks and rays in Belize, some hiking stuff like that, it was wicked.

Soldato
Anyone still been getting out?

I ordered some wetsuit boots from Amazon a few months back, but couldn't find any which fit well and never got round to going to an actual store.

With the weather getting a little better i might try and get out on the canal tomorrow morning before work. Working from home gives me that extra bit of time.

Man of Honour
River has been really high here until very recently. My dock was submerged for most of the time since christmas. It's sorted itself out now. I got out yesterday. Flow still reasonably strong and wind against me coming down river so tough in both directions but still great to have a paddle.

Man of Honour
Didn't get out this morning. Wish i had no given the sun!

Might try and get out after work. Just not sure where paddling falls with the lockdown!

I don't see how it is any different to going for a jog for excercise personally as long as you are going solo or with a same dwelling family member and not having to interact with people.

I can be 100% sure I won't go within 2 metres of anyone on the thames. I'm popping out at lunchtime as the weather is perfect.

Back
Top Bottom