Parents !

RDM

RDM

Soldato
One of them is 9...and she would probably be OK with this...the younger one probably isn't there yet. The problem is i'd have to stay in the house with the 9 year old knowing she's got ready on time waiting for the younger one and its not then fair on the 9 year old. Neither of them are old enough to make their own way to school its a touch too far.

You have an interesting approach though...is she ever late ? Do you stand there knowing she's going to be late and let her get on with it ?

Never been a need, she has always been ready on time. Though sometimes a quick "leaving soon" is needed to remind her.

Soldato
Set an alarm clock, don't shout them, if they're not up when you leave lock them in their room with a bowl of water.

They'll thank you when they're older (if you're allowed contact).

Soldato
OP
What time do they go to bed? They sound tired.

Ours are up around 0600 and raring to go :)

*Edit* Just read bed times above. Strange. They should be getting enough sleep.

Well, being kids, on a weekend it is 6am. On a weekday they have to be woken up at 7. Maybe its just mine who do that :)

Associate
Mine get up about 7. 7-8 they can do what they want (tablet, TV, etc) but they have to have breakfast. At 8, everything goes off until they have everything ready for school (dressed, hair brushed, lunches packed and so on).

Saying that, mine worked out very quickly that we were leaving at 8.40 however ready they were :D

Are they tired maybe? Mine are 8 and 10 but still go to bed at 8, they just don't function in the morning if they go later.

Failing that, maybe a sticker chart? Stickers for hitting certain tasks at certain times, then they can cash in at the end of the week for a magazine/sweets/something?

Soldato
OP
Mine get up about 7. 7-8 they can do what they want (tablet, TV, etc) but they have to have breakfast. At 8, everything goes off until they have everything ready for school (dressed, hair brushed, lunches packed and so on).

Saying that, mine worked out very quickly that we were leaving at 8.40 however ready they were :D

Are they tired maybe? Mine are 8 and 10 but still go to bed at 8, they just don't function in the morning if they go later.

Failing that, maybe a sticker chart? Stickers for hitting certain tasks at certain times, then they can cash in at the end of the week for a magazine/sweets/something?

Hmm dunno maybe they are tired...i'd struggle to get them asleep earlier..in bed maybe but the now 8 year old goes up before 7 (as early as 6:30) on school nights with the routine done by between 7 and 7:30 she sometimes is still awake an hour later at 8 or 8:30..in a dark room with no electronic distractions whatsoever...

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Crikey you have a star there.

She is, but part of it is that we have always been fair and consistent with boundaries and parenting. No means no, both parents will back the other up, clear expectations, clear knowledge of responsibilities and punishments. All the usual stuff.

Soldato
OP
She is, but part of it is that we have always been fair and consistent with boundaries and parenting. No means no, both parents will back the other up, clear expectations, clear knowledge of responsibilities and punishments. All the usual stuff.

yep...i do do that...i have little control over what happens with their mother though unfortunately...

Soldato
Wash in cold water: 06:40
Dressed: 06:45
Sitting at breakfast table: 06:50
Breakfast 07:00
Wash up 07:20
Ready for school 07:30

See how they like that for a month. No need to say thanks :)

My experience of implementing a similar regime when my youngest daughter started being tardy (and mardy) in the mornings is that they'll only need a week of that before they willingly go from fast asleep to out of the door washed, dressed, fed and school bags correctly loaded in 45 minutes.

Soldato
OP
Can I just ask (and no offence intended), but they are going to sleep when they go to bed aren't they? They aren't just in bed playing on consoles or tablets etc?

The youngest goes up first (they share a room) and no she doesn't always go to sleep right away...but she has no consoles or tablets. She plays with the teddies in her bed. Can't help thinking taking those away would be counter productive....she isn't being punished....

Suspended
Then it just sounds like a motivation issue in the morning. As in they need to feel sufficiently motivated to get dressed and ready. There are two of them, perhaps make getting dressed a competition? Or have a reward chart with something nice at the weekend if they have a full week of stickers?

I doubt that work if they get much older though, they are probably on the limit of that tactic now :)

Associate
Mate

Read you loud and clear. yes it can be stressful depending on what mood they're in in the first place. I have 3 girls all under 10. The eldest winds up the middle one, who whinges and cries at the drop of a hat. The youngest one is a mixture of the older two. I find myself shouting at them most days due to them mostly ignoring what I say to them. This morning I got them sat down to have breakfast and within 1 min they're bickering so I threatened if they carried on we'd be doing breakfast in shifts starting at 6.30 instead of 7.30. that shut them up. I've been a househusband for the last few years so I get them at 3pm and then its the long haul until 8-9pm at night. I am sure that time slows down. Wife's not usually home until 7.30-8.00, so they are normally bathed and in bed by the time she's back.

You need to destress or end up like me. I've been diagnosed with Barretts Oesophagus (one of the causes....stress). Dr say it occurred in the last 5-10 yrs....what a surprise, that's when the kids were born. Got to give up the booze too, so that's a nightmare as a beered chilled me out in the evening.

Good luck, you're not the only fed up parent out there.
Cheers
S

Soldato
OP
Mate

Read you loud and clear. yes it can be stressful depending on what mood they're in in the first place. I have 3 girls all under 10. The eldest winds up the middle one, who whinges and cries at the drop of a hat. The youngest one is a mixture of the older two. I find myself shouting at them most days due to them mostly ignoring what I say to them. This morning I got them sat down to have breakfast and within 1 min they're bickering so I threatened if they carried on we'd be doing breakfast in shifts starting at 6.30 instead of 7.30. that shut them up. I've been a househusband for the last few years so I get them at 3pm and then its the long haul until 8-9pm at night. I am sure that time slows down. Wife's not usually home until 7.30-8.00, so they are normally bathed and in bed by the time she's back.

You need to destress or end up like me. I've been diagnosed with Barretts Oesophagus (one of the causes....stress). Dr say it occurred in the last 5-10 yrs....what a surprise, that's when the kids were born. Got to give up the booze too, so that's a nightmare as a beered chilled me out in the evening.

Good luck, you're not the only fed up parent out there.
Cheers
S

hah we already do toothbrushing etc in shifts because the bathroom apparently isn't big enough for the two of them...no TV is the way forward i'm sure.

I'll report back :)

Soldato
The youngest goes up first (they share a room) and no she doesn't always go to sleep right away...but she has no consoles or tablets. She plays with the teddies in her bed. Can't help thinking taking those away would be counter productive....she isn't being punished....

Sound like ours. We start the the bath, bed and stories ritual for the younger one about 6:30. She's allowed to read in her bedroom until she's tired - the cuddlies are her 'class'. Very rarely awake after about 8pm.

The older one sorts herself out with shower etc, but its again reading in her bedroom. She's more like 9pm before asleep and can be later.

The TV belongs to us from 7pm onwards - and we get to eat dinner in peace.

Associate
I have the same problems 9 year old girl 7 year old boy, tv is only allowed after everything else is done, but have to say that most mornings are stressful due all sorts little trauma's from pony tails not being done properly to the wrongs socks.

TV/tablets are the worst though so definitely off

Back
Top Bottom