Paris Olympics 2024

I think Discovery do a good job with sport generally, often covering the "2nd tier" stuff that just wouldn't get coverage elsewhere; often the same stuff the BBC covers (like Snooker) or even ITV (cycling).
They're certainly moving in the right direction with their online/mobile coverage and the apps work really well generally.

Reactions: SPG
That was a great Olympics in a super setting which couldn't be faulted. We stayed with Eurosport 1/2 for coverage and found the chat/commentary above expectation. Turned over to BBC from live coverage twice only to find some bird on a purple sofa chatting each time. The set looked like the waiting room of a house of ill repute. Never came back.

Sport 10/10 Locations 10/10 BBC 3/10 Eurosport 8/10

He is just about beginning to show his age though nowadays, only just mind. :D
Sure there is only so much you can do about age but if I’m able to abseil down from the roof of a stadium like I was a 22 year old chad at 62, I’m not sure I’d complain. It was very clear he was very much in control of that, not some stunt guy at the top of the stadium.

Last edited:
Its been a great Olympics, Some of the wins are so so close, other records smashed to oblivion. Training methods, the genetic freakery and the ultimately the desire to stick at your chosen sport for 10-15 years to live that dream, hats off to you.

So

Drop breakdancing
Drop Football
Drop Golf
Drop Tennis
Drop the Horse dancing (maybe all horse events)

Add

Squash
Crown green Bowls
Add more mixed races, these are a great dynamic and make them draw straws for who goes run when.

Its been a great Olympics, Some of the wins are so so close, other records smashed to oblivion. Training methods, the genetic freakery and the ultimately the desire to stick at your chosen sport for 10-15 years to live that dream, hats off to you.

So

Drop breakdancing
Drop Football
Drop Golf
Drop Tennis

Add

Squash
Crown green Bowls
Add more mixed races, these are a great dynamic and make them draw straws for who goes run when.

Yeah I'm with you on some of this. Dancing isn't a sport, it's a nonsense that it's in the Olympics. Golf simply isn't athletic enough imho for the Olympics - I'd like to see something interesting like Kabaddi replace it.

Quite impressed the the UK managed to achieve third place overall with the total medal haul - only USA and China winning more. That's a hell of an achievement for a small Island country.

Kabaddi would be fun to watch, I remember it being on Channel 4 back in the day and watching it. Holding your breath British bulldog springs to mind, typically Indian bonkers :)

Add

Squash
Crown green Bowls

Add arm wrestling to that list. :D

Quite impressed the the UK managed to achieve third place overall with the total medal haul - only USA and China winning more. That's a hell of an achievement for a small Island country.

The medal table seems to have placed countries in order of golds won, so technically we're third but officially we're seventh.

Kabaddi would be fun to watch, I remember it being on Channel 4 back in the day and watching it. Holding your breath British bulldog springs to mind, typically Indian bonkers :)

Yeah it was really fun to watch and it would allow the Indian region to have a sport of their own in the Olympics.

Reactions: SPG

So

Drop breakdancing
Drop Football
Drop Golf
Drop Tennis

Add

Squash
Crown green Bowls

Yep I agree here, football is an odd one, its on TV for most of the year so its not something I bothered to watch or care about in the olympics personally, same for Tennis and Golf, Just had Wimbledon weeks before, and winning grand slams and Majors, I would think is a much bigger thing for the players, as for breakdancing, comical that was classed an an Olympic sport, but same can be said for others, pleased that got dropped for LA.
Squash yeah I used to play that when I was younger, would love to see that added.

Actually I was just thinking I didn't see any indoor bowls at this Olympics, i'm sure that was at the last Olympics, was it dropped?

Last edited:
Any sport for which the Olympics is not currently *THE* most important competition and clearly the most top level for the sport should be dropped. So football(World Cup) Golf(Majors) Tennis(Grand Slams) have no place in the Olympics, especially if it gives the likes of that out and out **** Deyokovich to get the chance to parade around with a gold medal.

Actually amazed squash isn't already part of it. Add Ten Pin Bowling to the list that should be there.

10 Pin Bowling.... that's a good one to add as well, might be a problem with doping though, but if snowboarding can make it their is hope :)

Squash is in for LA.

I've been quite surprised by the amount of moaning in certain media outlets about the Olympics and Team GB athletes; slating their use of public funds (its mainly lottery cash these days as I understand anyway) - and going on about how its all a load of rubbish as its woke.
You would think the GB News would love watching the Union Flag being flown and folk running around wearing it.....

I've been quite surprised by the amount of moaning in certain media outlets about the Olympics and Team GB athletes; slating their use of public funds (its mainly lottery cash these days as I understand anyway) - and going on about how its all a load of rubbish as its woke.
You would think the GB News would love watching the Union Flag being flown and folk running around wearing it.....
Yeah there's always something to moan about. I think Team GB done us proud again. Always great to see new talent and a fantastic medal haul from a relatively small nation. I was surprised to see uzbekistan getting a good haul of golds too.

I agree, we have had a bloody good games.

All the media want is football football as its easy to cover 24/7

Dam I would buy a newspaper that covers sport, that sticks a limit on the football coverage, we have world champs in multiple sports that get nothing unless your into the sport.

Back
Top Bottom