• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Pascal Titan-X Launch

Exactly, That 1080 looks like a bargain now doesn't it :confused:

What I meant is that there isn't much of a performance increase considering the price so it's a bit of a rip-off. The 1080 is extortionate, but this takes it to a new level as I was expecting at least 40% gain over a stock 1080 if Nvidia want to charge this much.

So I answered your question yet I'm not surprised you found a way to try and dismiss it anyways....great.

It worked out fine. Fury was a disappointment for reasons other than its memory.

I'm saying the switch to GDDR5X and improving memory management algorithms makes it an equally big jump. Here's some numbers to assure you leaps are being made:

Kepler Titan
6GB GDDR5
6Ghz
288GB/s

Maxwell Titan
12GB GDDR5
7Ghz
336GB/s

Pascal Titan
12GB GDDR5X
10Ghz
488GB/s

The switch to GDDR5X is extremely relevant in not needing to throw more modules on there.

Other way around. Volta is the big new architecture. Pascal was not originally in plans, but was thrown in as a stop-gap architecture to have something for when the 14/16nm process was ready to go.

The fury has nothing to do with Nvidias release cycles and previous VRAM quantities on their cards. Hence irrelevant to my point or the discussion in hand.

The simple fact is that the GDDR5X is doubled on the 1080/1070 over the last gen but when it comes to their flagship card the Titan they have charged $200 more than the last gen and it has the SAME amount of vram ie 12Gb than a 18 month old card. Now if this was a 1080Ti this would be totally expected but for a Titan it looks out of sorts. Plus add the fact its not shipping with a full core count ie a slightly crippled chip one would suspect that this would be the TI variant. To me this has the feel of a Ti card and not a Titan.

If Nvidia can get away with releasing a lower spec'd chip as a higher end card then I fully buy into the fact that they will. If you dont buy into this then thats fine. We will find out either way once the full stack of the 10 series is released and if this is truly the fastest gpu they release in this series or not.

Last edited:
you are not the first one who keeps saying pointless.

If you don't need it then fair enough. Gibbo was saying that Titans were being snapped up by corporations and I am pretty sure it's not to feed their employee's gaming habits.

My point, it's not pointless to others and there are other uses for those other than gaming.

Pointless is more like this post as its obvious I am referring to gaming. Yes is can be used for multi card 4K gaming but lets be honest here 6-8gb is more than enough for most gamers needs. 12gb of vram 18 months ago was excessive for pc gaming.

I wonder if we will see the conventional wisdom of the Titan being followed by the TI 4-6 months later missed out this generation. As there is zero competition at the top from AMD there is little need for a TI card in the near future, why release a card to take your own marked share from the 1080? As this is a new process it almost feels like the lower yield GP102 will be going in this Titan card with any good chips saved for an upcoming Titan XX with HBM2 next year. It would explain why this Titan is out so soon and could be a smart move by Nvidia as rumours are everywhere that Volta is only 8-9 months away. Still take this with a healthy pinch of salt.

What I meant is that there isn't much of a performance increase considering the price so it's a bit of a rip-off. The 1080 is extortionate, but this takes it to a new level as I was expecting at least 40% gain over a stock 1080 if Nvidia want to charge this much.

Diminishing returns always happen at the higher end. Titan cards should be a lot more powerful for the money but it never happens.

I guess the 1080 TI will be the first card which can run 4k ultra at crazy fps so that would be reason enough to get it :)

Well maybe for some games, should be a great 1440p card at least though.

Pointless is more like this post as its obvious I am referring to gaming. Yes is can be used for multi card 4K gaming but lets be honest here 6-8gb is more than enough for most gamers needs. 12gb of vram 18 months ago was excessive for pc gaming.

well 64 gb of ram is also considered pointless and yet there are people who have that much. What can I say, back to my cave ... :)

High price (expected), no HBM2 (I was expecting it to have it) 384 bit bus with 12GB VRAM (not needed but nice to have it). I want one but unsure if I will get one.

No two ways about it though - This is going to be a beast of a card and chew up anything thrown at it at 1440P, you will get the self entitled who feel they should be able to buy this card but can't afford it, you will get the fanboys throw insults at those who buy it and you will get those who buy it and regret it. To those who will buy, I say have fun and enjoy but to those who have no intention of buying, please be polite and respectful. We are all enthusiasts and you don't need to spend mega money to enjoy your hardware :)

The fury has nothing to do with Nvidias release cycles and previous VRAM quantities on their cards. Hence irrelevant to my point or the discussion in hand.
You asked when a top line card ever released with the same amount of memory as the previous top line card. I answered it. You are now trying to use some super lame excuse to dismiss the fact that you thought you had a point and totally didn't.

The simple fact is that the GDDR5X is doubled on the 1080/1070 over the last gen but when it comes to their flagship card the Titan they have charged $200 more than the last gen and it has the SAME amount of vram ie 12Gb than a 18 month old card.
Are you not listening to anything I'm saying? Why do you just keep repeating this over and over?

It is NEW and BETTER memory. You do not need to add more of it to get a big jump in memory capability. 12GB of GDDR5 is not = 12GB of GDDR5X no matter how much you try and ignore this super relevant fact.

488GB/s man.

Also you are incorrect about the Titan having a crippled core count. Same amount as GP100.

Last edited:
Titan cards have always had pointless amounts of vram, its one of the reasons its priced as high as it is.

This is also not the point I was trying to convey, seanspeed said that its the same quantity of vram but GDDR5X infering that the GDDR5X was the reason it wasnt more than 12GB and made up for the lack of high quantity of VRAM. I was mearly pointing out that the 1080/1070 had doubled the VRAM of the previous gen and was also GDDR5X.

When I game I use the 12gb TXs as they are the best for it.

I also have

1080s
980 Ti's
980s
Fury Xs
290Xs
And quite a few more I can not be bothered to list.

The point is I am not short of memory options or cards for gaming. Some of the cards above individually are actually faster than the TXs but none of them are as good for gaming at high resolution.

There is nothing pointless about the 12gb memory on the TXs, it is their best feature.

Right, you're suggesting they have a completely new GPU in the works that nobody has gotten word of......and who wouldn't have a place in the naming scheme as GP100, 102, 104 and 106 are all taken...

I'm talking about from Nvidia's side. The Titan name is meant to be their flagship product. If they come out with a newer, bigger GPU later on than the Titan branding means nothing anymore. It's just another model in the lineup. Defeats the whole purpose of a 'flagship' product in terms of how a company uses it to boost brand perception.

What do you mean nobody's heard of it? GP102 is this new titan and GP100 will be the full fat version later. I just posted a link with all the details of it with cores transistors ect..

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nv...-gtx-titan-x-based-on-gp102-has-gddr5x,3.html

http://vrworld.com/2016/07/05/nvidia-gp100-titan-faster-geforce-1080/

Now you have!!!:p

When I game I use the 12gb TXs as they are the best for it.

I also have

1080s
980 Ti's
980s
Fury Xs
290Xs
And quite a few more I can not be bothered to list.

The point is I am not short of memory options or cards for gaming. Some of the cards above individually are actually faster than the TXs but none of them are as good for gaming at high resolution.

There is nothing pointless about the 12gb memory on the TXs, it is their best feature.

nice list ... you could put together a nice LAN party and provide all the hardware for it!

What do you mean nobody's heard of it? GP102 is this new titan and GP100 will be the full fat version later. I just posted a link with all the details of it with cores transistors ect..

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nv...-gtx-titan-x-based-on-gp102-has-gddr5x,3.html

http://vrworld.com/2016/07/05/nvidia-gp100-titan-faster-geforce-1080/

Now you have!!!:p
GP100 is not suited to gaming.

That second link is incorrect in assuming only difference between GP100 and GP102 is how it links to motherboard.

You asked when a top line card ever released with the same amount of memory as the previous top line card. I answered it. You are now trying to use some super lame excuse to dismiss the fact that you thought you had a point and totally didn't.

Are you not listening to anything I'm saying? Why do you just keep repeating this over and over?

It is NEW and BETTER memory. You do not need to add more of it to get a big jump in memory capability. 12GB of GDDR5 is not = 12GB of GDDR5X no matter how much you try and ignore this super relevant fact.

488GB/s man.

LMFAO I can say the same thing about you not listening.

GDDR5X is on the 1080/1070 and that VRAM has been doubled. Explain why the have doubled the VRAM on these cards and not increased the VRAM on the Titan? Its irrelevant as these cards have doubled in VRAM if they had stayed the same I might see your point but this is not the case.

If you don't buy into the theory then fine that's your prerogative.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom