• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Pascal Titan-X Launch

That's reference for reference, I agree. But... Titan X didn't have any custom cooled versions right? Whereas the 980ti did. And that's where the 980ti could beat the Titan X. The better custom 980ti's could beat a Titan X at their stock speeds (keeping in mind that many of these had factory base OCs). I remember seeing benchmarks comparing a few different 980tis to Titan X and some fell under, while some beat the TX.

But also, I gotta ask how well does a TX overclock? Cos I also remember from somewhere that the best OCing 980tis could beat the best OC from a Titan X. On cards one could buy (i.e. no custom water-cooled ones or that sort). These might be DigitalFoundry benchmarks if I recall.

Right now I'm so very tempted to go for a price drop 980ti as a temporary upgrade. Alas, I don't have a 1440p144hz monitor yet to make the best of it (and even if I did, it would likely be a FreeSync monitor anyway) and it's kinda just upgrading for the sake of upgrading. Not that I need it right now. And the funny thing is that original Titan X prices haven't dropped much at all.

Do Nvidia plan to trick people into buying the older one or something?

Basic science tells you that more cores will be faster but you do have a point and whilst a battle of chip Vs chip in an even match (considering both had little leakage and clocked very well), the Titan X would always win that but as you know, there wasn't any custom cooled Titan Xs that were worth a mention and all had stock components, so a beefed up Kingpin (like Kaapstad pointed out) would be the card to get however, some of the bog standard 980Tis are super quick and I couldn't beat them on my 1430Mhz Titan X, so if both the 980Ti and Titan X launched at the same time, I would have opted for the custom cooled 980Ti without thinking about it.

What does shock me is people asking about a Fury or 980Ti and they recommend the Fury lol. You only have to look at the many benchmark threads that Kaapstad runs to see what is what with raw performance. :D

I ran my titan-x at 1485/8000 under water but the card did die on me after a year. I would perhaps not go quite so full bore on it as nvidia never design the reference PCB to cope with heavy load.

I ran my titan-x at 1485/8000 under water but the card did die on me after a year. I would perhaps not go quite so full bore on it as nvidia never design the reference PCB to cope with heavy load.

When you rip them open, the parts are cheap and whilst they do the job, you are quite correct and they are not designed to take the full stress of hammerings as I found out with one of my original Titans.

When you rip them open, the parts are cheap and whilst they do the job, you are quite correct and they are not designed to take the full stress of hammerings as I found out with one of my original Titans.

That doesn't make the card a particularly great buy, especially for how much it costs. You'd expect everything to be premium quality.

That doesn't make the card a particularly great buy, especially for how much it costs. You'd expect everything to be premium quality.

Agreed. From the very first Titan, I was expecting quality components but they just wasn't but they did the intended job fine and fast, so I didn't care :D

Had mine running 1500/8000 for over a year and it was just fine and dandy. Always checked the VRM temps with a infra-red gun it was a beast of a card.

Yer, you had a beast there. I never put a custom BIOS on mine but had I watercooled, I would have been very tempted to do that and add some volts.

Quite a few are suggesting NVIDIA won't bother releasing a cut down version of this big chip. I could always be wrong, but I think those assuming that are being a bit naive. The original Titan wasn't the fully enabled GK core but they still released a 780 very soon after it for much cheaper and slightly slower. Then later they released the full unlocked Titan. So ask yourselves this - what is stopping NVIDIA releasing a slightly slower card for $800-$900? Do you honestly think they will give up that opportunity to make more money by selling more units than the Titan XP still at a premium pricepoint?

It should be Abundantly clear that NVIDIA are not running a charity here! They are selling the Titan X P massively overpriced as we all know. But a 1080Ti or equivalent for $900 would also be stupidly overpriced! The nearest equivalent to a 1080ti in previous architectures would be a 780, which was released at $649. They will make a ton of profit on the Titan X, but don't doubt for one moment the cut down card will sell several times more with major profit too.

The poor lads who couldn't resist upgrading from a 980Ti/Maxwell Titan X to a 1080 will have no chance resisting a pre OCd 1080ti at £700-£900. You can bet NVIDIA know this. The Titan X range will still sell, but it also acts as a mirage to make you think a £800 1080Ti factory OCd to beat a stock Titan XP is cheap :D

NVIDIA end up selling an irresistible 1080 at £620 retail and a irresistible 1080Ti for £700-£900. That's £1300 and up from one poor bloke in a single architecture because NVIDIA are playing the game very well.

Last edited:
I reckon they will hold off on a 1080ti till about christmas time, maybe just before and then release one with the same config as this new TitanX, also releasing a new Titan? with the full fat chip for those who must have the best.

It would mean that people buying this TitanX would basically be paying a early adopters fee, over the 1080ti that would have much wider availability, seeing as the Titanx will only be available from NVidia directly (of course, this may change with time).

I reckon they will hold off on a 1080ti till about christmas time, maybe just before and then release one with the same config as this new TitanX, also releasing a new Titan? with the full fat chip for those who must have the best.

It would mean that people buying this TitanX would basically be paying a early adopters fee, over the 1080ti that would have much wider availability, seeing as the Titanx will only be available from NVidia directly (of course, this may change with time).

That's my feeling as well. Christmas would be a great marketing move from Nvidia for a 1080 TI.

I think they are testing the water (wallets) and seeing how far people are prepared to go on a GPU. They know that the Titan Z wasn't a seller, so probably limited chips means they can charge OTT prices and see how it fairs. I doubt they will drop the price either and we will have to wait for the 1080Ti before we see anything affordable for the masses (if it can be classed as affordable that is).

Mind you, even if it was the same price as a TX, I still doubt I would buy but then again, I have said and done things before that go against what I have said and done :D

Tick tock summer 2016 1080 summer 2017 1080ti you are six months early there in my opinion Nvidia will milk the new prices...

At least people are getting use of thier old cpus do you think people will be running Titan X or able to without bottlenecks on the 2700k? I have a 4700k at 4300mhz and this card would be a nice addition to that i think but guffaw at $1200 > £1200 for 25% fps increases at 4K. The value to pricing is just doubly irresponsible.

The value to pricing is just doubly irresponsible

I think everyone who is going to buy this for gaming is aware of that, but frankly some people have more money than patience. It's a given there will be a funny feeling in the stomach for some that go for this and in a few months time see a factory OC Gaming X 1080Ti topping the Titan X P for way less money. This is just part of early adopting though and it should come as no surprise to those that always go for the enthusiast cards. I say to those who get this just enjoy it, it's the first single GPU able to do Ultra HD at High (yes, not 2160p with 8xMSAA) settings imo.

Last edited:
Why? Can they not just disable 5% of the cuda cores? Something to do with memory?

2nd salvage parts will get even closer to the 1080. The titan x is already not that much faster and larger chips with more disabled units are never as efficient as a fully enabled but smaller chip.

My bet is at Christmas we see a chip with the same unit count, similar or slightly lower clocks and GDDR5 rather than GDDR5X if the competition from AMD does not hit strongly.

Back
Top Bottom