• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Pascal Titan-X Launch

Caporegime
Caporegime
I agree it's disappointing to see such a small top end card, but I have no idea what you're talking about with regards to memory. Lack of HBM is not what is holding anything back. :/ HBM2 would be nice, but 12GB of 10Gb/s GDDR5X is not going to be posing any meaningful bandwidth limitations.

And given the efficiency of Pascal, calling it a power limitation where HBM2 would somehow 'make the difference' also seems quite weird.

You really don't understand it do you, it's already rated at 250W, it's a 384bit bus and a small core, to go bigger on the core, more shaders... requires more bandwidth. It's already 250W, so add another 25W for memory bandwidth and another 25W for more shaders and it's a 300W part and it's become 550mm^2.

Replace the gddr5x with HBM2 and you've got lets say 630GB/s bandwidth, you've saved 30mm^2 of die space, you've dropped power down to 200W. Now add in 100mm^2 of shaders/rops/tmus and you're back at 250W and you have more than enough bandwidth to feed it.

384bit bus is limited by the power they wanted to use, the shader count is limited by the power they wanted to use and the available bandwidth as well. HBM2 alleviates both issues, bandwidth and reduces power significantly allowing for more power for the GPU.

Associate
I was too close to doing that; mostly because I'm still on a 6670. Decided to wait for that little Powercolor 480 to keep me busy until Full Fat Pascal, and Vega arrive.

The restraint is hurting me :(

Yeah its totally Samsung's fault if there damn 4k TV didn't look so good for gaming I wouldn't have needed it.

perfectly happy with 1080 for ultra wide

Soldato
Yeah its totally Samsung's fault if there damn 4k TV didn't look so good for gaming I wouldn't have needed it.

perfectly happy with 1080 for ultra wide

Let's hope AMD's Vega is decent enough to warrant a full fat Pascal chip, and drives down some prices.

I'd like to have a single very powerful GPU after 980Ti SLI since their release, but the new TX price is just horrific. Still temping though for that performance :(

Caporegime
I'm amazed that jayz2cents guy doesn't seem to have got one, considering NVidia sent him 4 titan x (2015) cards for his personal system.

Tom Logan also appears not to have got one, that's despite his videos being nothing but a NVidia advertisement in the background.

Associate
Already owning a GTX 1080 overclocked for 4k which is great but these seem mighty tempting for extra fps but £1100 extra after a few months, perhaps not.

In the end as my monitor is 32" I mucked around with custom resolutions & 3248 x 1827p gives me a 1:1 27" exact screen size, then I just pulled my monitor closer & now I have those extra fps, about 10 or so extra per game without needing to spend any cash.

Associate
wow, I've just seen the price and happy days. I expected it to come in at around £1050 and I wasn't far off at all. Hopefully we get to see a 1080 TI around £800 at some point this or next year

Soldato
EKWB blocks be end of august i think wonder if WC will help much with the boost clocks?

They are already in the works yeah. Nvidia selling only and I won't take the risk of the card blowing or developing a fault. Then be left with an expensive paper weight.

That's why I won't be buying the pascal TX. £1099 ain't bad though, I'm suprised at that at least.

Back
Top Bottom