Passed my test last week, need a car!

Soldato
It's 1.6 and diesel, what's right with it?

Surely it depends on what you want? It's certainly not an enthusiasts car so it won't go down well on a forum like this. But as a get you from A to B lots of times and not use too much fuel it's fine.

It's a tool, not a toy but for a casual driver probably too much of a tool and i suspect he'd get fed up with it quite quickly. They get used for comapany cars for a very good reason.

Soldato
OP
I think I'm looking for a toy car :)
I have a free travel pass that gets me into central London for work, so I just want a car to practice in and go wherever the wind takes me!

You say you would be reluctant to pay £3000 for your first car. Does that mean buying a brand new one on finance is a bad idea? :)

Soldato
A Fiesta 1.25 is the best choice for a first car to learn the ropes for 6-12months assuming that you do not have a required spec. or use.

Buying a brand new car rarely makes sense.

Soldato
You say you would be reluctant to pay £3000 for your first car. Does that mean buying a brand new one on finance is a bad idea? :)

Yes. Utterly bad idea i'm afraid :)

Buying a new car is like setting fire to money. If you must burn money then get a second hand car and give me what you save :D

I'd be inclined to spend up to about £1500. You can get a nice tidy car for that quite easily.

Soldato
Don't buy a car on finance. Escpecially a new one. You'll owe £10k to own something that's worth £7.5k the moment it leaves the dealership. No thanks :)

If you mean can you get a medium hatchback for £1.5k then the answer is yes, loads of them.

Soldato
OP
On a side note, who is good for insurance for new drivers? I got quoted £2k for a 1.6 Focus Zetec from a company affiliated with Adrian Flux :)

Soldato
OP
Would you believe Virgin are one of my better quotes and they don't charge extra for monthly payment. £1300! I want a car badly :)
I'm getting so impatient, I might just go to Car Giants and get one from there...

Soldato
OP
I'll take my mate's dad who's a mechanic. I think I'm going to drop about £5000 on a newish Ford Focus. The idea of a newer car and added cover from the dealer is very tempting :)

At the end of the day, it's just money and I'll have more of it soon :p

Soldato
OP
Hmm, I've changed my mind again. Don't want to spend so much on a first car :)
Is it normal to be this indecisive first time around?

Back
Top Bottom