Passed my test last week, need a car!

Soldato
directline were the cheapest for me by a long shot, best quotes i had from the usual comparison sites were in the region of 900 quid, but directline insured me for 700 fully comp on a 1.6 tdci zetec. Which I personally think is fine, its resonably quick off the mark (fast enough for me atleast) and can happily cruise along at 70 with plenty of room for a bit more if you feel like it.

Only thing i notice is im shifting gears a bit more than i would in a petrol to get that turbo working!

Soldato
OP
Looking at the Zetecs mainly because of the better stuff inside the car. I think by what I've seen from the other threads that high mileage shouldn't be too much of a concern if it has been well looked after. Not too bothered about 3/5 door and 1.8s didn't seem that much too much more in insurance than the 1.6s.

I like the look of the one at the top, what kind of thing should I look out for when viewing them? I'm getting kind of impatient waiting for my mate's mechanic dad, so I might just go with my dad who has been driving for probably over 30 years :)

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...cleYearOfManufacture=2003&vehicleRegLetter=53

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...cleYearOfManufacture=2005&vehicleRegLetter=54

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...cleYearOfManufacture=2003&vehicleRegLetter=53

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...cleYearOfManufacture=2003&vehicleRegLetter=03

Soldato
I think £3k is an ok amount to spend on a first car if your going to drive sensibly. If you just want to chav up your car and fly round country lanes faster than your skills allow then get a £500 banger. If you want a fairly decent first car to get you from A to B and build up your no claims then the 1.6 Focus will do you well.

Those examples there look pretty good. I know mileage isn't the be all and end all but I'd be looking at 50k rather than 90k, then you dont need to worry about the cam belt for a good while.

The first one the mileage looks a bit low for an 03 but it might be worth taking it for a test drive. Heated seats sound good for the winter as well :D.

Whichever you decide to go for i'd bet you could haggle them down.

Associate
Soldato
What does it mean if the mileage is too low? Someone hacked it?

Probably not but the car could have been used exclusively for short stop start journeys or left for long periods unused. So its not really worth the premium people tend to charge.

The ones Oj2k4 has posted look good, and as said you can probably get a bit more knocked off.

Soldato
OP

I'm going to see this one tomorrow hopefully. What sort of questions should I be asking? I've only ever driven 2008 Ford Focuses, and the only difference I felt between the 58 one and the 08 one was the biting point. What should I try and 'feel' for tomorrow?

Sorry for all the retard questions, I'm a bit crap at this.

Edit: Is it worth running the HPI check now?
Edit2: I went for it anyway and the website is throwing up errors on completing the address :(

Last edited:
Soldato
You'd be better off getting someone who's driven for years in many cars to come with you. Being a new driver myself i know i wouldn't know what to feel for etc really.

Looks like a nice example that, I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Just try your best to get a bit off as there are similar cars about for £2500. The lower mileage isn't worth £500.

Soldato
OP
Right, some of you are going to shout at me now for being an impatient muppet (to put it mildly). I looked at that car and HPI checked it while I was at another dealer who was suspicious of the mileage. There was no outstanding finance on it, but it was declared cat d after an accident.

The car, however, had been repaired as if it was new. The door was resprayed but you can't tell. There are no dents in the car at all and the bodywork was tiptop. Under the boot was clean as can be and looked like it only did 20k miles. Inside was very very clean. The leather interior had no dents in it, the carpet looked new. Steering wheel, gear stick and pedals had no wear on them.

Starting up the car, it sounded funny but my dad said that's just because it was cold. Once it was warmed up, the engine sort of got quieter and lower pitched and sounded normal. Started first time, drove like a car, handled like a car, stopped like car. Didn't feel anything wrong there.

After we viewed that car I was very happy with it, but tried to play it cool and said we were going to view another car. We went to a dealer to look at this - http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...cleYearOfManufacture=2004&vehicleRegLetter=54

We got to a showroom and there seemed like hundreds of cars under this one garage roof. Got to the car and there were a few dents on the body work and the hood had some specks of rust. Dunno how you even rust the top of the hood. Inside looked immaculate but as it was a lower spec car than the other, it didn't appeal to me as much. We went to start up the car but it wouldn't start. A lot of splutter but no "vroom". You have to love my technical analysis. We looked under the bonnet and he said it could be because the mechanic unpluggs something for security reasons. He plugged in the 'earthing' cable but that didn't help him. He then said it was because the car had no petrol in it. They need to keep low amounts of petrol in it for insurance reasons. If one car ignites and they all had petrol in, then the whole place would go kaboom.

Once they had petrol in it, it started up but sounded a bit unhealthy. He said it was because the unsuccessful starts before had drawn air into it. They said they would look into it and have it ready for tomorrow. We told them we would see about it and let them know. All in all it didn't look good so we tried to get them to lower the price but they weren't having it. We told them about the other car that we saw, said we would probably go for that and started to make our exit.

As we were almost out, they called us back. He thought the other car sounded fishy and did a HPI check for us. That's when I found out about the Cat D. He then put his saleman hat on and gave it to us - we could have a newer car that has never been in an accident for only 500 quid more. He tried to tell me that Cat D would also raise my insurance premium.

The way I looked at it was that the car was £500 more and because it was a 1.8l the insurance was going to be £100-£200 more. For £700 quid I was willing to gamble on the other cleaner car that started first time. As far as I can tell, Cat D means bodywork damage. It could mean that the cost of repairing it outweighs the cost of the actual car or something. I gave my insurance people a ring and they said it would have no effect on my premium. From what I could find out on the internet on my iPhone, Cat D would mean that I might have problems selling the car and in the case of an insurance claim, they might not pay out as much.

I think this is a risk worth taking, as I was planning on riding this car out until it had died. The £3000 I'm spending on this car will be made up in a couple months so I'm not missing it.

Stuck a deposit of £400 quid and I'm going to pick up the car tomorrow.

Let the forum beatings commence.

Soldato
There are thousands of Ford Focus for sale, buy a tidy one in budget that is not a Cat D.

Cat D could well be alright, but it's an unnecessary risk when there are so many Focus on the market.

Personally I would buy a Cat D if it checked out OK but it would need to be 25% cheaper than an equivilant non-Cat-anything.

You just sound impatient.

Last edited:
Soldato
cat d's are worth at least 25% less. I would buy one if it was alright but only at the right price and it sounds like that isn't :(

There are loads of focus's around, sounds like you went to look at 2 lemons and just picked the better one.

Soldato
O ffs, another win for the salesman even after all this advice.

Sometimes why bother on this forum, just list the cars then lock the thread, it will be easier to let *** buyer go and make their stupid choice without us knowing what they have done.

Il say again, why buy a damn CAT D when there are literally a trillion squillion focus's out there, ones within budget, that haven't been in an accident, and have been looked after by careful owners. Sigh.

Young guys just buy the first thing they see these days. 'Ooo daddy I want a car elevnty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

Soldato
OP
I don't know if you read the thread.

I followed advice to look at Mondeos, Focuses and Astras. I took on board the advice that diesels might not be for me. I giggled at the advice that Civics and Minis were for old people. The advice that I might have ignored was about getting a Fiesta. I just won't fit in it ;)

Yes, my dad was there inspecting it with me. He has been driving for over 30 years and has a decent idea of what a car needs to be. A bit more than I do. I was told to bring an experienced driver so I followed the advice. I paid for the car myself. I'm paying for my own insurance myself.

I admit I've been a little hasty in my decision, but the way I saw it was that I would rather pay the extra £500 or so for the higher trimmed car. And while I was told that £500 wasn't worth the lower mileage, I thought it was a bonus :) I did realise it was a CatD while I was out and about, but I thought that was for 'minor' cosmetic damage. I could have kept waiting and looking for a better car because I wasn't willing to travel 244 miles for a suggested car.

I'm sorry for wasting your time, but your advice came about 50 posts too late.
I guess the lure of the leather interior, heated seats, aircon and alarm and stuff was just too much.

Last edited:
Soldato
If it drove OK and is mechanically sound and the CATD was due to cosmetic damage that has now been put right and the bodywork is in mint condition then i cant see a problem.

I mean you could have got a fair bit off that price knowing it was CAT D but whats done is done so no point worrying about it. When it comes to selling a car like this theres no point worrying that you'll get 25% less. The low mileage will help it sell anyway.

Soldato
OP
I wasn't planning on selling. I was going to run it until it died on me. Whilst I ignored some of your advice, please know that I really appreciate the help

Soldato
From those pics it does look like a nice example, the interior looks perfect. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. I love mine and like you i plan to keep it for a few years.

Soldato
its your first car, unless you write it off the chances of you keeping it untill it dies are very low imho.

Back
Top Bottom