Paying parents rent!

Soldato
Hey guys, just wanted to find out if any of you pay your parents rent to stay under the house, eat and use electricity up ! I'm here for 1 year before university and my dad tells me i will have to pay him £70 a month towards the household while im at home on gap year.

Is this a reasonable price?

Soldato
Booner! said:
Hey guys, just wanted to find out if any of you pay your parents rent to stay under the house, eat and use electricity up ! I'm here for 1 year before university and my dad tells me i will have to pay him £70 a month towards the household while im at home on gap year.

Is this a reasonable price?

It's more than reasonable, it's an absolute bargain.

Soldato
In situations like these parents usually just make their child pay a token amount, just so they know they aren't getting a free ride. My brother pays a small amount of rent (he works full time) but my parents actually only take half of it and put the other half in a saving account for him.

Soldato
I'm doing a PhD and pay my mum £50 a week. I also pay for my own internet and it goes without saying my own clothes etc... and food and so on.

£200 a month covers pretty much everything though, incl. evening meal... so I think that is fair.

jamoor said:
Jeez man, they're your parents, not strangers. Would you be happy taking rent off your kids?
YES! It is a part of growing up! Even if I took their rent and put it in a savings account for them later without them knowing...

Back
Top Bottom