Pc failure help

Associate
OP
My cpu seems to be selling for above 100£ on bay. So I would presume selling it for 100£ is doable.

It's a lot too take on. I might try and amass the funds first. I am unsure tbh. One min I want to do it now. The next I want to play it fully safe lol.

Nevermind about MM then. It is what it is :p

Soldato
My cpu seems to be selling for above 100£ on bay. So I would presume selling it for 100£ is doable.
I have to be careful now (forum rules) but as you're purchasing from OcUK - it's a means to an end.

Yes, £100 seems a sensible price - they sell for less on MM but as mentioned we know what they're worth and less competition/sellers tax (plus, goodwill).

Memory depends on kit - but use your sense again comparing prices.

You could have a bash over the weekend and if they sell - you could make your order, regardless.

It's a lot too take on. I might try and amass the funds first. I am unsure tbh. One min I want to do it now. The next I want to play it fully safe lol.
Yeah, i can't advise you on your funds, as you know what you can and can't afford realistically - i certainly don't want to stretch you financially. What i will say is - there is an inherent risk in buying an ageing motherboard - as it will be on borrowed time regardless of condition. It could last another 5 years but could also blow a capacitor in less than a month.

CPUs and memory, on the other hand, are great buys second hand - so you're in a position of strength at least as people know this.

Nevermind about MM then. It is what it is :p
Yep, shouldn't post and get the kids ready for swimming at the same time. :)

Associate
OP
Heya. Is this AMD 3000 series something I should consider at all? Or should I stick with the basket you laid out? The zen2000 build. The 3000 looks interesting read nevertheless. I'm going to get my pc back Thursday or Saturday and then I ll take it apart and start listing the components I'm selling on the bay :D hopefully that ll help half the cost or whatever. I think from the looks of things I can spare £150 plus what the components sell for :D

Soldato
Heya. Is this AMD 3000 series something I should consider at all? Or should I stick with the basket you laid out? The zen2000 build. The 3000 looks interesting read nevertheless. I'm going to get my pc back Thursday or Saturday and then I ll take it apart and start listing the components I'm selling on the bay :D hopefully that ll help half the cost or whatever. I think from the looks of things I can spare £150 plus what the components sell for :D
If you can afford to wait for zen 2 (3000) - then most definitely as Zen 2 almost certainly is going to be a game changer. (a recent rumour leak shows entry level 6c/12t beating flagship 2700x in Geek Bench - although bench is looking nerfed. But, all signs are looking that zen 2 will deliver.).

Even if you don't buy zen 2 - their other chips will be effected by this; prices are already dropping. That said the game offset is a good deal if you sell games for £50.

Your problem is that your CPU and memory will be affected too as everyman and his dog will be upgrading if you delay selling i.e. selling all their old hardware to supplement upgrading.

You're in a difficult position, how badly do you need your PC up and running? The motherboard I specced would accommodate a future zen 2 upgrade.

*On mobile excuse typos - hate swipe...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
As long as all my data is sat safe on the HDS and ssds I don't really need it up and running tbh.

I am quite set on the basket you listed, I think it's a nice little project. I think my first aim is to list/sell my parts end of next week to begin with, so that's then done with.

Then it will be a case of keeping an eye on the part prices and this zen2 or 3 thing. Im going to read up on the zen builds and what they mean this morning

Associate
OP
People seem to be terming things zen zen+ and zen2000

I'm glad the new motherboard will be able to handle the future CPUs, is that something your confident in the motherboard being able to handle such a thing?

Soldato
Zen 2/Ryzen 3000 - it's confusing.

It's Zen 2 that's to be released in early July (hopefully). The Zen 3 Ryzen 4000 (7nm+ node) release in 2020...

We've had original Ryzen (Ryzen 1000), then the Zen+ (Ryzen 2000) and 'hopefully' early July the release of Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000). AMD, admittedly, have made the numbering a little confusing. Zen 3 release in 2020...

*After 4am tomorrow (keynote speech at 3am) you should be armed with most of the info you need. It may even affect prices some more...

I'll keep an eye on thread and advise as best I can.

Soldato
I'm glad the new motherboard will be able to handle the future CPUs, is that something your confident in the motherboard being able to handle such a thing?
Back on a computer - sorry missed this.

Yes, you wouldn't be dealing with PCIe 4, NVMe RAID etc so the Tomahawk will handle the 8core/16thread 3600X(sic) no problem - it would need a BIOS flash when you swapped to zen 2.

Associate
OP
Okay just picked up the PC and got it home. Always a bit of a struggle with the big guy.

Had a chat with the pc man and all his info matched up with oc advice which is good. Then after some convo. I brought up the mobo reccomended to buy. He said it's good. He said mobo is important and not to buy cheap, he recommended 50-200£ for a mobo generally. Or in my case anyway let's say.

I had no idea about this next bit... He then started taking about mobos and M2 or something. And educated me on th fact that you can buy like a HD chip or whatever and slot it on the mobo M2 slot or whatever. So like on board HD, so OS runs off that and aids efficiency , I thought that's pretty awesome and never heard about that before. Bare on mind. I'd probably not ever even notice the difference but I'd like to have 128gig of onboard space purely just for the OS. I'd probably notice some difference as my current sad is close to full with the OS on. 250gig 20gig left or whatever.

And as I'd have a new mobo, I'd be able tofl finally access the bios. So that means I'd be able to put an os on the M2 thing and boot from there I presume and then sort out my other ssd with the old OS and data on.

It's an option from the sounds of it anyway.

So now the pc is back. And I'm to lay it out and start the year down and clean. And I guess wait till July... But if the release takes long then July I don't know what I ll do . It's a doable distance to wait .. so I think..... Lol

Soldato
recommended 50-200£ for a mobo generally.
For Zen 2 - more like £100 (B450 Carbon minimum) - £200. I wouldn't touch a £50 board...

He then started taking about mobos and M2 or something
Not, needed and very expensive with little real term gain unless transferring lots of data(?). If it's a gaming machine with occasional Offfice duties you will be better served spending the extra saved on larger storage, standard SSD. (But your next board would have the option)

So now the pc is back. And I'm to lay it out and start the year down and clean. And I guess wait till July... But if the release takes long then July I don't know what I ll do . It's a doable distance to wait .. so I think..... Lol
If you can't wait you could buy a decent B450 as mentioned - you would lose out on PCI4 but this wouldn't be a great loss - and buy a 2600X and upgrade to Zen 2 using the same board next year - or not if the 2600 does the job.

The X570 boards will be the first to be released and they're not looking cheap - so budget will be a factor.

Associate
OP
The tomahawk you mentioned seems to come with the M2 if im correct, so I guess that's a nice benefit. He said the onboard HD is quite quite too. But nevertheless that would be a challenge or interesting task id take on at a later date.

The tomahawk appears to be pcie3.

There's a chance I ll grow impacient

I think one of the tough main parts. Will be when the new mobo comes. And I need to re-hook up all the plugs again. But I don't think it'll be too hard, I ll just relearn what means what and just start linking everything, fan plug by fan plug lol.

The only thing I'm worried about is if it ll actually fit the pc case and the build it general, with the k2 in there as well , but the mobo build looks similar and slim so I can't seeing it being a problem. I've just got to make sure that the thick power cables can still reach and bend round to powert board but I'm sure it ll be fine.

In my type of situation where money is a factor but price Vs value is respected, is there any mobo slightly higher up than the tomahawk that you mentioned, that you would reccomend for a slightly higher budget? The tomahawk is 99£ , so maybe 150? 150-200.

I'm tempted to get the zen+ a mobo and the ram you said. Maybe even just the tomahawk. And then upgrade next year like you said. I guess I'd sell the 2600 at that point .

Associate
OP
I mean, if the zen+ is as good as my current CPU I may not even need to upgrade? I honestly don't run high end games or anything on it anymore , I just like living on a desktop tbh.

It begins! https://imgur.com/gallery/vSE5GkH
vSE5GkH

Soldato
The tomahawk you mentioned seems to come with the M2 if im correct, so I guess that's a nice benefit. He said the onboard HD is quite quite too. But nevertheless that would be a challenge or interesting task id take on at a later date.
Yep, if you don't need the WiFi the Tomahawk will be fine - and M2 support too. A standard SSD is equally quiet - they're both solid state drives, no moving parts, so no noise.

The tomahawk appears to be pcie3.
Yep, as is everything else on the market - until x570 is released and even then no products to use it yet (well the odd expensive NVMe drive).

The only thing I'm worried about is if it ll actually fit the pc case and the build it general, with the k2 in there as well
You'll have to drop Alpenfohn an email and enquire about an AM4 bracket -as this may be an issue.

In my type of situation where money is a factor but price Vs value is respected, is there any mobo slightly higher up than the tomahawk that you mentioned, that you would reccomend for a slightly higher budget? The tomahawk is 99£ , so maybe 150? 150-200.
The Carbon has better VRM and there is an Asus Strix B450 E MB that is approx £140 - that would take a Zen 2 easily in the future.

I'm tempted to get the zen+ a mobo and the ram you said. Maybe even just the tomahawk. And then upgrade next year like you said. I guess I'd sell the 2600 at that point .
It's a plan - depends how much you need your system - cheapest is waiting and getting MB and Zen 2 on release - but a if you need a system now then Zen+ now with option to upgrade is a sensible option. And from reading your last post would be suffice, looking at your needs.

Associate
OP
Thank you for your fast help.

When you mentioned WiFi, do you mean like built in WiFi on the mobo? I am old school and prefer ethernet in that case :D

I really am so undecided lol. I'm going to spend a good few days fully breaking pc down and cleaning it. Unplugging and wrapping everything up separately like they were when they were all bought. Then I ll be able to assemble bit by bit. The problem is. When everything's clean and organised, and I've spent effort on it I'm going to want to spend out more no doubt lol. The man said mobo is one of the most important pieces though. So I don't think I'm going to mind investing in a good motherboard. I want to be assured in a good mobo. I'm annoyed my last one failed. But i don't think it's been fully working for years tbh, or slightly faulty

I might be wrong but I get the feeling you were the guy that helped advise me on building and buying my pc lol 6-7 years ago on this same fourm lol

Rebuild: images: https://postimg.cc/gallery/fkv49ouy/

Last edited:
Soldato
When you mentioned WiFi, do you mean like built in WiFi on the mobo? I am old school and prefer ethernet in that case :D
Nothing old school - if you have hard wire connection much better. I only mention WiFi if it's a need - as some members haven't got direct access.

The man said mobo is one of the most important pieces though. So I don't think I'm going to mind investing in a good motherboard. I want to be assured in a good mobo.
He's not wrong - that said you only need to budget for what you need and may need - to a degree. Quality, upgrade path and onboard features are the priority when spending upwards of £100 and with AM4 Zen 2 needs to be at the back of your mind when you purchase.

I'm annoyed my last one failed. But i don't think it's been fully working for years tbh, or slightly faulty
Well, it had a good innings - but you were unlucky as quality board.

I might be wrong but I get the feeling you were the guy that helped advise me on building and buying my pc lol 6-7 years ago on this same fourm lol
Well, if my help was riddled with sarcasm - by the end of the thread - it may well have been me :)

Take time to think about what you want to do - and more importantly what you want/can spend. There's no rush - and as mentioned from your use description you could easily get by with a 2600/X - and they're exceptional : performance value at the moment.

Example:

Both CPUs come with 2 free games which could be sold on for ~£50 to offset the total cost.

Vanilla 2600 build:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £321.43 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

2600X build - higher boosting CPU.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £381.43 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Associate
OP
I am definitely keeping zen2 in mind. I'm confident in going for the zen+ setup that you advised over the 2600. As long as your confident in a 99£ board then I will go ahead in the future. To me it doesn't feel expensive enough. That is purely probably just my lack of knowledge. Maybe I'm lucky and it's just great value. And tbh.... If it konked out even after warranty. It's only 99£.

I am very much a supporter of wired connections like ethernet over wi-fi tbh. I've emailed them about the K2 as well. I'm hoping the current k2 intel bracket would work? But I'm thinking not so.

I'm sorry if I blab a lot. It's rare I get chance to talk and ask about all this stuff haha. I try with my wife and she just zones out lol

My rig has 14 fans. It's a pure air cooling rig. When I built it I added all these plastic meshes and taped them hard onto each fan. (See images below) with the intention of reducing dust invasion. And look at the amount of dust that's been kept at bay! Lol!

https://postimg.cc/gallery/2disu5jiy/

Last edited:
Soldato
I am definitely keeping zen2 in mind. I'm confident in going for the zen+ setup that you advised over the 2600. As long as your confident in a 99£ board then I will go ahead in the future. To me it doesn't feel expensive enough. That is purely probably just my lack of knowledge. Maybe I'm lucky and it's just great value. And tbh.... If it konked out even after warranty. It's only 99£.

If you want reinforced Zen 2 VRM performance then the Asus ROG Strix B450-E - probably has the best VRMs in the B450 range next to the MSI Carbon. Approx ~£140. It slipped in relatively unnoticed last year and isn't widely available in UK - but easily sourced if Googled. But will warn you that although Asus make great components (mostly) - their customer service sucks.

SBRjSGk.jpg

I am very much a supporter of wired connections like ethernet over wi-fi tbh.
Great - way, way better if you have the option.

I'm hoping the current k2 intel bracket would work?
Afraid not - you will need a dedicated AM4 bracket (and may not have support - but worth an email)

I'm sorry if I blab a lot. It's rare I get chance to talk and ask about all this stuff haha. I try with my wife and she just zones out lol
Know the feeling and seen the vacant expression and the eyes that just want out of the conversation. Fortunately i have a younger son who listens to all my blurb and is starting to make noises of understanding. This may, however, prove my undoing as it's an expensive hobby...

My rig has 14 fans. It's a pure air cooling rig.
14 fans!!! Were you drip feeding lava into the system? What curve were you using and how noisy was it?

*Additional - how were the fans powered?

You may want to put the filters on the other way at the top - easier to clean.

**Ok, really intrigued with your fan setup - did you have fans in front and behind your HDDs?

Associate
OP
Maybe the vrms died on my old board.

The Rog looks super but I don't want to burden myself if it's a struggle to get running. I'm presuming when I've bought all the new components it's pretty much just going to be a simple plug everything up. Then go into bios and tell it which ssd to boot from then that's it?

What will take the time I'm guessing is remembering what cable goes where.

So your saying it goes rog. Then MSI carbon then tomahawk? Or the 2nd two might be the same actually

For the fans, it's not noisey, just a quiet humm. I'm not a fan of water cooled systems. I'm a fanboy.

The fans are positioned so the ones at the front of th pc suck in. The ones on the base of the pc suck in if I remember correctly. Back of the pc fans suck out. Fans inside the pc suck inwards further and then upwards. Fans on top of the pc push upwards. The filters on the fans on the top of the pc are taped on their outer sides. Lots of cleaning of fans this weekend lol

The Rog seems to have a HDMI display port and a single dp. My have two screens. Ones hdmi. Ones DVI. I've worked out that dp means display port. But unsure if my DVI cable for my screen would fit their Rog dp port so far

It appears that with a quick Google. The Rog is 116£ 25% off at the moment plus 14£ postage. From alza

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom