PC gamers spending more time modding then playing their games..

Soldato
I was disgusted by the lack of graphics options in mass effect 3...

I like modding and tweaking, but then again, I also like programming....

I spent quite a long time modding skyrim to be more awesome, and enjoyed doing so.
I then spent even longer playing the game :D

Soldato
I spent days making a custom earth map for Civilization V, and weeks playing it. :)

Its why I have stayed with the PC. So much more options its not just a gaming machine. :D

Soldato
Mods are progressing though, it's getting easier and easier to deal with them.

However I do agree about Oblivion, at least twice in the past I've spent so long confuggering the mods that I lost the inclination to play the game.

What's needed is unified modpacks where you pick one and it does the whole lot for you, that started to appear for Oblivion and I'm sure it'll appear for Skyrim. It's enough to make the game feel like V2.

Man of Honour
I agree a compilation mod for Oblivion helped me a lot because with a game/community like that there is almost too much choice of mods, it gets tough to choose what to install and a compilation takes that decision away from you. However there's always the danger of it being a bit OTT i.e. changing too much. The irony is I didn't install the Oblivion thing properly so a bunch of the mods weren't enabled; when I found out and corrected the issue it completely changed the balance of the game and I stopped playing within about an hour (having sunk ~70hrs in prior to that).

What I quite like is when you get 'unintrusive' mod compilations, that basically leave the core gameplay alone (regardless of how flawed many may believe it to be) but focus on improved gfx/sfx, UI and bug fixes. The unofficial patch for Vampire Bloodlines would be a good example, or maybe the SCP project for Freespace 2.

When I get round to playing Morrowind and/or Skyrim I'll definitely be looking for something along those lines rather than a 'hardcore' mod that makes the game less accessible to newcomers

Associate
I'll mod games which are a good base to mod from. The only recent ones I've used are Oblivion/Skyrim. They make such good platforms, and because the world is so vast there's a lot of potential to make good mods.

There is a danger of getting mods which overpower your character. I remember the Ultimate Magic (or something like that) mod for Oblivion which was basically a kill everything with a spell mod. However, Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul and the Unofficial Oblivion Patch were essential, fixing many balance issues and bug issues without changing the core of the game too much.

Soldato
im happy with 30fps in most games unless its an online fps then 60 is a must and i would gladly sacrafice graphics for framerate

I pretty much only play on line games(except Football Manager) so I guess the main reason I'm so concerned with staying at 60FPS is so that I know if I suddenly get a really busy area, or something like that, my FPS will hold out and not stutter to a halt.

Still 60FPS is probably a little OTT.

Soldato
Wouldn't say I'm much of a modder, Oblivion is probably my most modded game, all graphical and UI tweaks though, I'm not particularlly keen on mods that drastically alter gameplay. Haven't modded Skyrim at all yet, it looks nice enough to me in its vanilla form.

As far as in game graphics options go I tend to just set them at high/highest and then play, I only really tweak if I'm getting low or inconsistent framerates.

I probably spend more time tweaking my TV settings when playing a PS3 game than I do tweaking the PC with PC games, in the hope that I can improve the poor, low res, low textured, blurry visuals we're often presented with from console games.

Associate
I can live with 30-40 fps in single player, 30 is the real bottom of the scale for me, 2x fps and I'm out. Online I want it as high I can, 40-60fps and I wont grumble. I wouldn't call it an obsession with FPS, but them is how I like my apples.

I played and loved Goldeneye but I wouldn't accept that kind of fps today, to be honest, I was kind of "iffy" about it then and I didn't have anything but consoles. The kind of slow down talked about in Dark Souls(10-20 fps) would have me just toss the controller on the floor. Thankfully we wont have that problem when it gets released on the the pc. *touches wood*

Associate
i tend to mod once the game is fully complete.. Unless its GTA4, i dont play that game to complete the missions, i just play it to mess around online with mates... Thats when i use mods, for all the cool cars etc...

other than that, i start up a game, set all settings to max, make sure i have decent enough fps, then play...

Associate
I found Sykrim was really poor in a lot of ways on release and just became obsessed with modding it and trying to make it better. But, after 50 hours of that, I have come to accept that I don't actually like the game.

Associate
I found Sykrim was really poor in a lot of ways on release and just became obsessed with modding it and trying to make it better. But, after 50 hours of that, I have come to accept that I don't actually like the game.

I imagine Sykrim was, Skyrim though, was fantastic on release in my opinion.

Soldato

I was the same. I then stopped playing it to try some other games I had purchased. After completing said games I felt put off playing skyrim because I knew there had been mod updates and game updates so it would require tweaking before I could play again... saying that I am in a rut at the moment, I just don't feel like playing any games.

Soldato
I've spent quite a while modding GTA4, added loads of real-life cars, and have hardly played it since!

Also spent a little while modding Skyrim back in November, haven't really played it since. Fired it up for about 20 minutes the other night, then spent 3 hours last night downloading newer mods! I might get round to play it some time next week! ;)

But sometimes the fun is in messing about with stuff. I love spending time tinkering with cars, but I spend less time driving them!

Back
Top Bottom