PC gamers spending more time modding then playing their games..

Soldato
I usually just add a few texture mods at the beginning then play the game. After I have finished it I will add more mods and take screenshots etc. Just helps to extend the life of the game.

In fact, often I will complete a game when it comes out and then play it again a few years later with mods that bring the gfx up to standard. Like with HL2 and the cinematic mod. This is one reason PC will always be my favourite platform.

Soldato
the difference is

Low = half a tub of Vaseline on the screen

lowest = looks like razor blade lego.

Lol couldn't have said it better myself.

As said before people mod because they can. Also did it on GT4, I do it on any game I play on the PC if mods are available.

Associate
“PC gamers spend more time tweaking, modifying and looking to gain an extra few fps then actually playing their games. Also, PC gamers seem more concerned about screen resolution and how configurable the games graphics options are then actual gameplay”

What a stupid thing to say. Might apply to a small minority, but to the vast majority of PC gamers? No way.

Personally the only game I've spent more than about 5mins moding was C&C Generals. Probably spent about 30 hours on that (that was making my own mods obv, not just installing other peoples). But that was after I'd completed the campaign several times, and sunk a couple of hundred hours into the multiplayer (LAN with a mate).

Soldato
I spent ten minutes a week installing mods for skyrim. But I can't be bothered to move away from steam workshop...

Mind you I probably spend more time thinking about upgrading my PC than playing games... But that tends to be aesthetic upgrades rather than overclocking or something to get a couple of extra fps...

kd

Soldato
OP
Some interesting comments, its worth noting.. These were not my views, but I did paraphrase other comments from the console section...

I mod games, I do however try to actually play the games more than I do modding them..

I played Skyrim as it was vanilla and fully enjoyed it. However interesting comments none the less.

Associate
There is a lot of truth to it and I feel some people are getting a little defensive about it.

Honestly, if anybody can say they actually play BIS games, such as Arma, straight out of the box then I will show you a liar :)

Not only do they mod well, it is also damn near necessary for the bloody things to work properly.

Associate
This is pretty much spot on for me haha. I have played 55 hours of Skyrim, but I spent about 4 hours getting it to run well on my lame PC, and then another 6 or so hours just modding it, and then I restarted the game about 10 times whilst fine tuning the mod loadout lol.

Caporegime
There isn't anything in what they said and most people keep missing the major point.

Spending 30 seconds changing graphical settings in COD 4, for a game that takes 5-6 hours to complete, and spending a couple hours downloading and installing mods for a game that takes 50-60 hours to complete isn't that different.

The main thing the op failed to mention is, F1 is pretty much an open ended game, where a season can take ages on full settings and people play it on and off for a year, or several, while another game you finish in 1-2 days of gameplay and maybe play through another couple times.

F1 and skyrim are not remotely "short" games, the reason he hasn't completely them is the length of the game, not the modding.

I must have spent all of, ooo, a couple hours browsing the net for texture mods for Skyrim, the reason I still haven't completed it is, played loads, got bored, had work to do for a month, other games came out that took my interest and I could never get back into Skyrim as I'd not played it for 2-3 months and felt completely disconnected with where I was in the game.

That simply doesn't happen with, a generally short indie game, or some other relatively simple game like a COD, firstly its basic and follows simple FPS rules/feeling so you could start any mission in any generic FPS in the same way and immediately remember every key/weapon/etc and mostly because its so short when you start playing its really stupidly easy to finish before something else gets in the way, like life.

In the time it took me to get maybe 2/3rd's of the way through Skyrim, I could have played the last COD 10 times over.

The issue here is Bethesda anyway, useless moron's, each and every game is a half finished gem waiting to be finished, almost reliant on modders to fix it, yet making modders lives unnecessarily difficult, or I should say, mod installers lives. **** low res textures and thousand of people trying thousands of things with generally unoptimised texture packs and the like when they could have just done professional quality high res textures to ruddy start with.

Same goes for gameplay, dodgy leveling, dodgy combat issues, poorly scaling weapons, poorly scaling enemies, if this stuff simply worked right from the start, most people wouldn't bother modding. lastly even if you wait 6 months, or 3 years then buy and install the game, the chance of downloading ONE mod pack that installs quickly and simply, seemlessly and bug free is........ well it doesn't happen. Everyone has their own take on what the game should be and trying to play through a game that is dodgy in vanilla, and random mod X might make it worse for you and better for someone else.

Staying away from Bethesda games I can't think of any game in the past decade that has taken more than a few minutes to install a couple half decent mods, or the majority of games, no mods, just settings to max and away you go.

Soldato
I spent more time messing with settings for the original F.E.A.R and then again with the first crysis but i just thought enough is enough and i just play the games on auto settings with a few of my own personal settings dialed in these days. I don't frame count obsessively any more. As long as it's smooth but still looks awesome and i'm not getting walked over in online competitive play, that's all i really need.

Last edited:
Associate
I tend to complete the games then begin to mod them. Only if something starts to bug me do I then look for a mod/fix to get rid of it. Some games have more useful mods then others. Naked NPC's in Skyrim? Wow...

Associate
This doesn't really apply to me when I'm in the mood for actually playing games (something I don't do that often these days, sadly). Crysis, as an example, kept crashing constantly in DirectX 10 mode, but was perfect in DirectX 9 mode, however I wasn't happy with the way it looked compared to DirectX 10, so I tried Natural Mod, but ended up removing it in favour of Real Lifesis for the more vibrant colours.

I think I have about 7 or 8 mods in Skyrim and have played that for around 25 hours. Just a few small things like the better faces/bodies, night Skyrim, the SkyUI mod, and the lock picking health (without the cheating part, because I play a sneaky character), but I'd like to add some more before I play it again. I only stopped because of the huge frame rate drops in random places and the constant crashing.

Back
Top Bottom