PC gamers spending more time modding then playing their games..

Soldato
I used to tweak and modify files in good old days to squeeze as much performance as I could out of creaky hardware. These days I have better hardware and generally only modify the key binds and maybe one or two settings.

For me far more time was spent mapping and creating models for older games, almost to the exclusion of actually playing the game. Not anymore though.

Associate
The way it's put by the console guy makes it sound like modding is a bad thing, If he only knew what it adds he would wash his mouth out, looking back some of the best gaming I have experienced has been done using mods, Counter-strike for Half-life reshaped the way multi-player FPS's were played influencing the whole genre, Desert Combat for Battlefield 1942 spurred the development of Battlefield 2 we all know where that led, & now Day Z is trailblazing its parent game up to the top of the steam charts years after release, the Ignorance of that kid is unparallelled he must be the most blissful kid on the planet.

Man of Honour
I think I took about 5hrs setting up Oblivion before I played it. Clocked more than 10x that in game, though.

Also I have a bit of an OCD when it comes to optimising games from day1, before I play them I always:

-Patch to latest version
-Install all expansions/DLC if I have them
-Finish previous game in series if savegame import is supported
-Make sure it runs at native resoluition for my monitor (more of an issue with older games - sometimes needs cfg tweaking, external research, sometimes even hex editing)
-Disable any framerate cap (or increase to 120fps)
-Install 'essential' mods if it is an old game (Oblivion, Freespace 2, System Shock 2 etc)
-Configure in-game graphics settings
-Tweak graphics settings outside of game if not available in game e.g. AA, AF
-Test performance (overclocking gfx card if not running 120fps+)
-Tweak graphics settings to improve framerate if necessary
-Watch the intro videos in their entirety
-Apply commandline or other tweaks like renaming intro videos to speed up application launch
-Disable controller if I'm not using it, disable vibration if I am
-Invert mouse and adjust sensitivity
-Increase FOV if option available

One area I have 'improved' on however, is that I no longer configure keyboard controls before playing, I just try playing with default controls and then tweak it later if something is bugging me. Badly written games sometimes have tutorials that are hardcoded to assume you are using default controls so give you bad prompts.

Last edited:

Klo

Klo

Soldato
Nope, this doesn't apply for me. I'll spend a little time getting the right settings, but once I've got that I should be fine. 9/10 I'm fine with the default controls.

Permabanned
Nope, this doesn't apply for me. I'll spend a little time getting the right settings, but once I've got that I should be fine. 9/10 I'm fine with the default controls.

Spent quite a few hours modding Gears Of War the past few days, adding horde mod, maps and skins etc :) I tend to play first, maybe find a few texture mods if any. After finishing I will search for extra missons or what not.

Associate
Bit of an assumption that it is a "kid" innit? (unless you've seen the original poster of course!)
You are correct I did assume he was a kid I just associate that level ignorance with youth, I should not generalize guess I'm just turning into a grumpy old man...Bloody kids with their fancy pants consoles don't know they are born...things were different in my day...I remember when this was all fields...ect.ect.:)

Soldato
its not a valid statement, its archaic and stinks of someone commenting on something they no nothing about in the attempt to create some kind of superiority.

the only games people have ever bothered modding hard are elder scrolls.

its such a retarded statement I cant believe the OP bothered to even create a worthwhile discussion on it.

Back
Top Bottom