*** PC Gaming - Daily Deals Thread ***

Soldato
I know this doesn't class as a game but I've just been looking on G2A and they sell windows 8.1 keys for around £25. Seems very very cheap. Has anyone here bought one

Yeah, bought one a few months back. Entered code on Microsoft's website, which said it was a valid key and allowed me to download an 8.1 Pro install disc. Installed, activated - all good.

Fast forward about 3 months, I change my motherboard and Windows needs activating - no surprise. This time, Windows tells me that my key is invalid as it's been used on too many PCs and I need to enter a new one. Looks like the seller had sold the key so many times that MS had got wise and disabled it. Pretty sure if I hadn't needed to re-activate, I would've happily carried on for years with a Windows that showed as Activated, but turned out not to be legit.

Short version - everyone was right when they said if it looks too good to be true, it's not true. Didn't bother going back to G2A, just wrote it off as a gamble that I'd taken and lost. :)

Associate
Yeah, bought one a few months back. Entered code on Microsoft's website, which said it was a valid key and allowed me to download an 8.1 Pro install disc. Installed, activated - all good.

Fast forward about 3 months, I change my motherboard and Windows needs activating - no surprise. This time, Windows tells me that my key is invalid as it's been used on too many PCs and I need to enter a new one. Looks like the seller had sold the key so many times that MS had got wise and disabled it. Pretty sure if I hadn't needed to re-activate, I would've happily carried on for years with a Windows that showed as Activated, but turned out not to be legit.

Short version - everyone was right when they said if it looks too good to be true, it's not true. Didn't bother going back to G2A, just wrote it off as a gamble that I'd taken and lost. :)

Umm if you change your hardware MS will always say that; happened with me from XP on.....

You say activate by phone; give them super long number and then they give you a super long number to put in and then its activated.

I have to do this every time a mb is replaced on a laptop at my work etc or we upgrade someone's PC hardware......doesn't mean person sold your key on. If they did that you would have gotten invaldated key while running normally; not while trying to reactivate with new hardware.

Changing MB counts as a new system.....

Associate
Umm if you change your hardware MS will always say that; happened with me from XP on.....

You say activate by phone; give them super long number and then they give you a super long number to put in and then its activated.

I have to do this every time a mb is replaced on a laptop at my work etc or we upgrade someone's PC hardware......doesn't mean person sold your key on. If they did that you would have gotten invaldated key while running normally; not while trying to reactivate with new hardware.

Also happed with my Vista. Had it from day one now on the wifes laptop. Also with My win 7 Ultimate. Thats been on 4 systems.

Soldato
Did you not purchase the key with the G2A shield protection?

They have to give you a new one or your money back if it becomes invalid.

Don't just let them get away with it...

Can't honestly remember if I paid for the Protection or not. Will have to have a look when I'm home tonight. Thanks.

Believe me, I've installed Windows on enough systems from XP to 8.1 (new and old) to know how and when Windows requires re-activation, and how to go through the phone activation. :) This is the first time I've had a straight up message telling me the key is invalid because it's been installed on too many systems - and this is the first time I've had to re-use the key (normally I only need to do the phone activation after the code has been activated three times). Will try the phone activation to see if that will work before I get onto G2A (if I bought the protection), or if the automated system or person you end up put through to confirms the key has been multi-used.

Cheers guys.

Soldato
Can't honestly remember if I paid for the Protection or not. Will have to have a look when I'm home tonight. Thanks.

Believe me, I've installed Windows on enough systems from XP to 8.1 (new and old) to know how and when Windows requires re-activation, and how to go through the phone activation. :) This is the first time I've had a straight up message telling me the key is invalid because it's been installed on too many systems - and this is the first time I've had to re-use the key (normally I only need to do the phone activation after the code has been activated three times). Will try the phone activation to see if that will work before I get onto G2A (if I bought the protection), or if the automated system or person you end up put through to confirms the key has been multi-used.

Cheers guys.
interested to see how you get on, was looking at a W8 copy from them myself.

Soldato
JulioH said:
Life is Strange Complete for £6.49 from Nuuvem, had to bite on that
joelk2 said:
i just bought GTA V from them for £19.

ive used them in the past in case anyone is sceptical. use hola
I've had a few games give me a warning saying only for certain region activation, so I didn't buy some games, did you get this?

Soldato
I've had a few games give me a warning saying only for certain region activation, so I didn't buy some games, did you get this?

if you read the page the game is listed on it normally tells you if the product is region specific.

GTA V says worldwide so thats good enough for me. but past purchases i never got this message (unless it was one of the ones which popped up in Portuguese in which case i ignored it) lol

Back
Top Bottom