*** PC Gaming - Daily Deals Thread ***

Associate
am I right in thinking the steam link has to be connected to the pc in order to use? if so its no good to me as my pc is upstairs in my gaming room and tv downstairs lol

Soldato
I was utterly deflated after getting to try one. I got one after Christmas after wanting one for ages and even when it was hardwired over an 80mb connection it was unplayable for me.

I'm confused as to why you're mentioning your 80Mbit connection in relation to Steam Link. It goes nowhere near the Internet. On my internal Gigabit network my Steam Link works perfectly with every game I tried it with. What issues were you specifically having? When you say hardwired, what do you mean in terms of your connectivity? Were you using HomePlugs or is everything connected via Cat5 / 6?

I bought one the last time they were at that price, and it's gathering dust. It doesn't work properly over wired connection.

Again, as above, my Link is perfect with anything that I've played it with. Even Rocket League, which some have indicated issues with, works really well. How is your system configured?

I'm so happy with my Link that I've purchased another for my room at home. So now I'll have one in the lounge on that TV, and another in my games room for if I want to play on my larger screen :)

Soldato
Again, as above, my Link is perfect with anything that I've played it with. Even Rocket League, which some have indicated issues with, works really well. How is your system configured?

I'm so happy with my Link that I've purchased another for my room at home. So now I'll have one in the lounge on that TV, and another in my games room for if I want to play on my larger screen :)

Main PC hard wired to VM Hub. Steam Link hard wired to VM Hub.

I got poor IQ with regular freezing and drop outs. I tried tweaking client and host settings, but it fixed nothing. It may have been Steam Link firmware or nvidia driver related so I may try again, but my experience has been very frustrating so far.

Soldato
Main PC hard wired to VM Hub. Steam Link hard wired to VM Hub.

I got poor IQ with regular freezing and drop outs. I tried tweaking client and host settings, but it fixed nothing. It may have been Steam Link firmware or nvidia driver related so I may try again, but my experience has been very frustrating so far.

What about trying a separate switch to connect between the PC, Link, and router instead of going directly through the VM Hub? Perhaps the Hub is interfering or causing an issue in some way?

Soldato
Are you saying it should be:

PC and Steam Link to a switch that is connected to the VM Hub?

In this instance, yes, this might work better for you. Unfortunately routers from the likes of BT etc aren't renowned for their network ability, so I'm always wary of them. However, I've never had any experience with the VM hub, it might be pretty decent, but as a router it has the potential to interfere with traffic passing through it, so for that alone I'd take the internal network traffic away from that device and get it communicating through a separate switch instead. I have no guarantee that this will sort your issue out, but for the sake of £15 for a switch, it might be worth a try :)

Soldato
In this instance, yes, this might work better for you. Unfortunately routers from the likes of BT etc aren't renowned for their network ability, so I'm always wary of them. However, I've never had any experience with the VM hub, it might be pretty decent, but as a router it has the potential to interfere with traffic passing through it, so for that alone I'd take the internal network traffic away from that device and get it communicating through a separate switch instead. I have no guarantee that this will sort your issue out, but for the sake of £15 for a switch, it might be worth a try :)

I already have a switch, so I'll dig it out and give it a try.

Thanks

maj

maj

Soldato
Missed out on the Steam Link the last time they were on offer so just ordered one. Home network will be hard-wired soon so hopefully I don't experience some of the performance issues mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom