PC Hangs when idle or browsing

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice.

I checked the motherboard bios is up to date.

Its still under warranty so I wont go as far as re-sitting the CPU/cooler as its a professional company and this is the third time they have put it together.

If it crashes again I will remove the GPU as it was something I had planned on testing to determine if it was related to power draw or spike issues that I originally posted.

I also want to try Windows 10 however I havent yet as it only has three years before its end of life and I wanted to PC to last longer.

I personally think its a compatibility issue between the motherboard and RAM however the supplier have suggested they sell a lot of these systems and havent seen the issue in their other builds.

They have tried to suggest it may be related to my peripherals or my house however I wont accept that as the issue has been replicated at home, work, and they replicated in in their own office (they have actually replicated it twice during two seperate returns).

I wanted to try some troubleshooting myself as I like the spec of the PC.

However I believe I still have the option of returning it for a re-spec at which point I would swap it to a Ryzen DDR4 system.

I would rather not invest in DDR4 when DDR5 is available but stability is more important to me at this point.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Soldato
if not tried... try each ram stick in each place it can be seated. so if you have two
take out one and try each in a different slot until you dont find any differences.

after that my only other guess is that something may be under-powering the cpu
when at idle, if not that maybe memory under idle state.

Last edited:
Associate
I had a similar problem some years back using an x99 motherboard. It drove me nuts - ultimately it turned out to be a Windows problem caused by a specific combination of hardware (though an nvme drive was the ever present factor in the minor variations that people reported). Might be a bit of a wild goose chase but it could be worth seeing if the problem occurs when you're running an alternative OS? It could at least rule out hardware failure.

Soldato
the only real options left to try would be swap parts over with a similar system and try and replicate the problem, memory, gpu and ssd would be easiest to begin with one by one if all check out then the cpu, psu and mobo need to be tested next, if everything works individually then it could be the combination of componets you have which would be very unfortunate, if you did go down the amd route hold off getting 5000 series as you may be able to get a new zen 4 system (7000 series) shouldn't cost anymore and would provide a bigger boost over zen 3 (5000 series). not long till that releases

end of the day the desision is yours, it can be hellish sometimes when things don't go right

Soldato
Ok if you have replaced all your components then surely its a Windows problem.
Software or peripherals...have you performed a fresh install with minimal peripherals and minimal software?

I think it might be best to downgrade to Windows 10. Windows 11 is still immature compared to 10 and then if you don't get the problem you know its Windows! If it is Windows 11 then much better to have 10 if you're not getting the freezing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom