PC randomly freezing and won't boot for a few minutes.

Associate
Whilst playing games my PC will randomly just freeze and I can't do any actions and I am forced to shut down my PC.

When my PC shuts down I can't start my PC again for another few minutes as many times as I press the power button nothing happens.. the first time I press it might make like a clicking noise and than after that it won't even do that and I wait a few minutes and it boots again..

I saw that my 3000MHZ XMP profile could not be enabled without crashing after bios so I tried new ram and XMP worked again and it was all fine for 24 hours until I started to play destiny 2 for about 30-45 minutes and it completely froze again and would not boot again at all.

My system specs are:
i7 8700
Asrock Z390m Pro4
2x8GB Corsaisr 3000MHZ
Asus RTX 2070

Update: ran heaven benchmark for over an hour with zero issues and GPU temps at 65c max.

Ram memtest for two hours with XMP enabled and I got zero memory error's.

I would like to say though that when I was shutting my pc down to memtest my pc had issues starting back up and a few times I heard a clicking noise and than it took a few power button preesses for it to start but my GPU power light was always on..

Update 2:

So I tried running OCCT 3D test on my 2070 again and you can clearly see the issue I am having here where my PC is completely frozen with OCCT running in background and you can see my temps are low and the weird issue where my PC won't boot up for a few minutes again.. Please any help

https://streamable.com/g4n9xy

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sounds heat related, have monitored temps at time of crash?

I just went out shopping for an hour and ran heavenbench and when I came back it was still running and my 2070 was sitting at around 63-65C after and the FPS was normal so I assume I can cancel out the GPU if it managed to do it for that long without issue? The weird thing is that I ran OCCT 3d last night and it crashed within 5 minutes and I have also ran OCCT to max my CPU and it reaches around 75C max without crashing.

Could it be a mix of the GPU and CPU being used to the max in some games that there is a power issue? I really have no idea what the issue is and its stressing me out.

Soldato
As plasmahal said above, it sounds like a heat issue as it won't start until it's cooled down. I would check all the psu connections making sure they are plugged in all the way.

Associate
OP
As plasmahal said above, it sounds like a heat issue as it won't start until it's cooled down. I would check all the psu connections making sure they are plugged in all the way.

Ok I will do that, would you say its a CPU heat issue or motherboard considering I just ran heaven benchmark for a solid hour and my GPU sat at 65C? Could it even be a power supply heat issue?

Also I would like to say that when it crashes it doesn't shut down at all but my monitors just freeze on whatever I was doing and I am forced to shut it down with the button. A few times it has started right away but most of the time it takes a few minutes to even start.

Associate
OP
As above check the cpu cooler as well. Have a feel of the PSU to see if it is getting warm.
sounds so much like a cpu heat issue. Take off your cooler, reapply paste and see what happens. I bet one corner of the chip is not seated properly.

I will do that, I just wonder why it would start suddenly because I have been running this PC in this exact configuration for about 12 months now without issue.

Associate
OP
Have your tried running a memtest on the ram? Do the freezes happen if memory is left stock without XMP enabled?

Yes it happened on my old memory with and without XMP enabled and the memory I have had in for the past few days is a new 2x8GB kit so unless I have been extremely unlucky with 4 bad sticks of ram I am not sure?

Associate
Sounds like CPU overheating to me. I had an Asus laptop that had exactly the same symptoms - would turn off and not turn back on until it had cooled down.
When I looked at the paste on the CPU it had turned to powder :D

I later learned that the paste Asus used on that machine was pretty terrible as a lot of people had experienced the same thing

Associate
OP
Update: ran heaven benchmark for over an hour with zero issues and GPU temps at 65c max.

Ram memtest for two hours with XMP enabled and I got zero memory error's.

I would like to say though that when I was shutting my pc down to memtest my pc had issues starting back up and a few times I heard a clicking noise and than it took a few power button preesses for it to start but my GPU power light was always on..

I hope someone can help because I am so lost. I am getting new thermal paste for CPU Friday but like I said it had the weird power on issue before memtest and my CPU was more or less idle on windows prior

Associate
Long shot ideas:
Are you using a hdd and is the clicking coming from near there?
Do all your fans spin when trying to boot? Particularly the CPU fan? Are they free of dust?
Try unplugging your cpu fan and plugging it back in again.
Can't imagine it'd be likely to be ram, but it isn't difficult to reseat it just in case.

Associate
OP
Long shot ideas:
Are you using a hdd and is the clicking coming from near there?
Do all your fans spin when trying to boot? Particularly the CPU fan? Are they free of dust?
Try unplugging your cpu fan and plugging it back in again.
Can't imagine it'd be likely to be ram, but it isn't difficult to reseat it just in case.

I am using 3 SSD's.. I am not sure if the fans even have time to spin.. the clicking noise sounds like its coming from the bottom of my case where I have no fans either.

I just started my PC up again after the memtest and ran heavenbenchmark again for 20 mins and again no issues so I am pretty sure its not RAM/GPU related for now.

I am starting to feel like its either a PSU or motherboard issue considering the amount of times that my XMP profile had reset to off a few days ago and this clicking noise and the booting issues.. And yes I have plugged in the CPU Fan,Mobo power and CPU power in and out again.

Back
Top Bottom