• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PC vs Console, has high GPU prices played a part?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
Nonsense, 60fps is the baseline for consoles now, there's no way there will be games at 30fps with no 60fps performance option going forward.

I just played latest age of empires on my pc. A game that is ideal on a pc. I took my headphones off to find my Gpu and cpu making an absolute racket. I have a noctua nhu12a and a 3070fe. In comparison the Xbox sat silently through 3 hours of gaming last night.

Maybe my pc settings aren't all correct or something but that's one additional annoyance that my pc offers.

If aoe was on xbox that would be my preferred platform because the system is silent and I know they'd give it mouse support.

So how come right from the PS5 launch, Spider-Man: Miles Morales on PlayStation 5 was only able to run at 30fps with ray tracing in Fidelity mode, meaning that you’d have to pick between 60fps performance mode (smooth frame rate) or higher graphical fidelity (30fps) while playing through the game. This shows that Consoles are already struggling with higher graphical fidelity and will cap it to 30fps or put out watered down graphics to run faster.

With my PC, I can crank everthing up to Max settings,4K , ray traycing etc ...so say in a game like RE8, I get true max settings 4K, 120Hz and then still get above 90 fps and the PC runs very quiet. Say like in Call of Duty Modern Warfare, I set it all to max settings Ray Tracing, All Max settings and play at 100 -120fps at 4K. It's just that it's terrible witht he GPU market right now.

99% of games installed on my PC, run at 4K, max settings, 120 Hz, with well over 60fps. My PC never goes past 65% fan noise either (invest in good cooling). My CPU is overclocked from like 3.4Ghz to 4.6Ghz and never passes 65c with the coolers used in the link and mine is not even the most expensive cooler or CP either.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/air-...h5IU7udDm7I-1635607248-0-gqNtZGzNAnujcnBszQ7l

Last edited:
Soldato
So how come right from the PS5 launch, Spider-Man: Miles Morales on PlayStation 5 was only able to run at 30fps with ray tracing in Fidelity mode, meaning that you’d have to pick between 60fps performance mode (smooth frame rate) or higher graphical fidelity (30fps) while playing through the game. This shows that Consoles are already struggling with higher graphical fidelity and will cap it to 30fps or put out watered down graphics to run faster.

With my PC, I can crank everthing up to Max settings,4K , ray traycing etc...so say in a game like RE8, I get true max settings 4K 120Hz and then still get above 90 fps and the PC runs very quiet.

Didn't they bring out a patch adding 60fps with good fidelity?

Let's be honest though. Miles morales looks better than pretty much any pc game on the market.

Associate

With my PC, I can crank everthing up to Max settings,4K , ray traycing etc ...so say in a game like RE8, I get true max settings 4K, 120Hz and then still get above 90 fps and the PC runs very quiet.

99% of games installed on my PC, run at 4K, max settings, 120 Hz, with well over 60fps. My PC never goes past 65% fan noise either (invest in good cooling)
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/air-...h5IU7udDm7I-1635607248-0-gqNtZGzNAnujcnBszQ7l
It's well known that AMD cards (including consoles) have garbage ray tracing performance. Even with Nvidia cards it still provides really poor bang for your buck in terms of quality for the performance hit. It's not an indication that games will be 30fps in the future with no performance mode.

Associate
Nonsense, 60fps is the baseline for consoles now, there's no way there will be games at 30fps with no 60fps performance option going forward.
PS4 started that way. Ended up on 30 fps. As graphics continue to move forward and console hardware remains stagnant for years on end, devs will eventually prioritise visuals over fps. Been this way for years.

Associate
Didn't they bring out a patch adding 60fps with good fidelity?

Let's be honest though. Miles morales looks better than pretty much any pc game on the market.
It dips to 1080p render resolution with that mode and upscale to 4k. Also it massively scales back on crowd density and vehicles in that mode reducing the immersiveness of the city. It’s not a good mode to play the game.

Associate
It's well known that AMD cards (including consoles) have garbage ray tracing performance. Even with Nvidia cards it still provides really poor bang for your buck in terms of quality for the performance hit. It's not an indication that games will be 30fps in the future with no performance mode.

Games like Deathloop are already dipping below 60 fps on the ps5 in fidelity mode. The performance mode you are talking about which has 60 fps renders the games at very low resolutions like 1080p and is very blurry.

Soldato
Shortage sucks for me because I won't pay silly money for low/mid end cards, end of. Doesn't mean I'm eyeing consoles, I'll just put up with medium settings until the great rebalancing.

Consoles are also a completely different market. I have a Switch because it's social gaming, where PC isn't. My kid plays more roblox and Minecraft than Switch now, so she's a PC gamer too :cool:

Associate
PS4 started that way. Ended up on 30 fps. As graphics continue to move forward and console hardware remains stagnant for years on end, devs will eventually prioritise visuals over fps. Been this way for years.
PS4 had a massively underpowered CPU even for the time it released and isn't comparable to the current gen consoles, we're not in 2013 anymore.

Games like Deathloop are already dipping below 60 fps on the ps5 in fidelity mode. The performance mode you are talking about which has 60 fps renders the games at very low resolutions like 1080p and is very blurry.
If consoles are so underpowered, why am I able to run a game like Cold War at a solid 120 fps at 1200p native resolution?

Associate
My lad hardly plays on his pc i built him. Groups of friends tend to ask for the same console, so he spends 90% of online gaming on his series x with his mates. He also uses game pass all the time. The rampant gpu price inflation is huge bonus to Sony and Microsoft.

Soldato
My lad hardly plays on his pc i built him. Groups of friends tend to ask for the same console, so he spends 90% of online gaming on his series x with his mates. He also uses game pass all the time. The rampant gpu price inflation is huge bonus to Sony and Microsoft.

Playing with friends is where gaming shines too. Games with cross play and simple lobby systems are making it easy for mates to get online together.

The fact my 3070 alone cost more than my series x makes me laugh. I'm pushing 40 and have been pc gaming since counter strike beta 5.2 in my teens. I've always owned a gaming pc but its more of an expensive paperweight this generation. My itx build is a cute little thing but the series x stood silently alongside it highlights how well Microsoft manufactured this thing. It's a lot of power in a small form factor.

Permabanned
ps4 never started up with 60 fps or something. occcasional competitive games like r6 and overwatch ran at 60 fps. it ran ac unity, the first AC release for PS4 at 1080p 30 fps. ps5 already runs valhalla at 1440p 60 fps and will continue to push 1440p 60 fps in ac games throughout the generation. 30 fps will be for those who want native 4k or much higher graphics but 60 fps will always be there. like it or not, ps5 xbox sx will push 60 fps throughout their whole lifecycle. resolution might end up at 1080p or settings may be even more optimized compared to PCs or so , but it will keep delivering a consistent experience

ps4's first exclusive games always run at 1080p 30. that was a target that they had to adhere to due to its anemic CPU. ps5 already outputs 60 fps with ray tracing in ratched and clank and spiderman. its a whole different world. i cant believe some people are clueless to compare launch ps4 to launch ps5. one had tablet cpu with 1.6 ghz frequency in a time where multithread games were not the trend and now you have 3.5-3.6 ghz zen 2 cores with optimized envrionment and APIs that will have no trouble hitting 60 fps at 1080p and above even after 5-7 years.

ps4 pro is mostly bottlenecked by CPU. it bottlenecks their own exclusive games at 35-45 fps. you can clearly see it had the gpu juice to push 1080p 60 fps on games like god of war / horizon zero dawn / last of us 2, but CPU is too anemic so they end up settling for higher res + 30 fps lock. this will never a problem with a ps5 or xbox sx, since they dont have anemic CPU anymore

uc4, last guardian, infamous second son, bloodborne, until dawn... the first set of ps4 exclusives. all them at 1080p 30 fps.

miles morales with ray tracing, ratched clank with ray tracing (ps5 exclusive)... 1200-1440p + 60 fps + ray tracing. how can you compare both now? it is clear that PS5 is more powerful at launch compared to how much powerful the PS4 was at its launch. and ps4 always managed to hit that 1080p 30 fps target consistently, even with such anemic hardware. ps5 with its much more potent hardware will keep a consistent 1200-1440p + 60 fps throughout the whole generation. gow ragnarok will run 1440p-2160p 60 fps and many more.

Last edited:
Permabanned

The Spiderman PS5 does look very good! They really used all the tricks to make it look that good.
But slowmotion 30fps with Ray Traycing at 4K:D is just an indication of the limitations of that console. That's from launch as well. Not saying that it's a bad console, I think it's really good for £370 if they really exist at msrp . It probably is a better option than a PC for gaming, but it depends on what and how you are going to use the PC.

But PC game on the market? Maybe you have not played games on a PC capable of 4K max settings
  • Red Dead Redemption 2- looks stunning on PC at 4K Max Settings can run at 60 - 90 fps.
  • Doom Eternal - looks stunning at 4K Max settings can run at 60fps - 200fps. This is overkill, but I play this on 8K TV at 60fps on Nightmare, it has excellent 8K performance.PS5 has 8K on the box but it is a gimmik.
  • Resident Evil Village - I'm doing 4K 120Hz max setting with full Ray Tracing, HDR over 90fps. Can't crank anything else on.
  • PS5 runs the game at 45fps.

Last edited:
Associate
I personally think demon souls looks even better than Spiderman, meanwhile I think the last of us 2 has the best animations I've ever seen in a game ever, upgrading a pc nowadays it's not so bad since you can also sell your old parts for inflated prices, I feel bad for anyone building a PC from zero though, nowadays use mostly my PC for multiplayer first person shooters (can't beat high refresh and mouse/keyboard) and console for most single player games and couch gaming on OLED TV. (OLED and HDR technogy is something that more PC gamers with higher end builds should look into, it's amazing)

Associate
It seems like it has.

Data has been revealed that shows 30% of all PC Gamers in America own a PS4, that's after 9 years on the market.

And it also shows that nearly 10% of PC gamers now own a PS5 after just 10 months.

with a lot of Sony games now coming to PC I'd have thought in general there would be fewer PC gamers trying to move over.

So it would appear that the performance per dollar of the PS5 and other next gen consoles being far superior to a PC is weighing heavily on the market. Lots of PC gamers are buying a console because PC parts cost too much

I play on both PC and Xbox but would agree with you, covid shortages have driven up pricing and people being locked down has driven demand for consoles in people who may not have been much into gaming. There is also the issue of people being off work and unsure of future employment being unwilling to pay the inflated pricing of GPUs. As for the PC Vs Console war, a big fat dragon called covid has just crossed the battle field burning both sides.

Soldato

With my PC, I can crank everthing up to Max settings,4K , ray traycing etc ...so say in a game like RE8, I get true max settings 4K, 120Hz and then still get above 90 fps and the PC runs very quiet. Say like in Call of Duty Modern Warfare, I set it all to max settings Ray Tracing, All Max settings and play at 100 -120fps at 4K. It's just that it's terrible witht he GPU market right now.

99% of games installed on my PC, run at 4K, max settings, 120 Hz, with well over 60fps. My PC never goes past 65% fan noise either (invest in good cooling). My CPU is overclocked from like 3.4Ghz to 4.6Ghz and never passes 65c with the coolers used in the link and mine is not even the most expensive cooler or CP either.

Because that is what the devs wanted to target. They pick the resolution and the framerate and cram as much as possible on screen. Think about it, consoles are close to a 2080ti, go back 3 years and imagine someone calling a 2080ti a card only good enough for 4k30

Consoles are the baseline. Having more graphical power than a console allows you to push more frames.

If the consoles shipped with a GPU equal to a 3090 devs would still target 4k30 they would just have even more stuff on screen.

Edit: Devs want their games to look as good as possible, which is why they sometimes target 4k30.

What console players now have is the option to pick 60fps while sacrificing certain things

Permabanned
Because that is what the devs wanted to target. They pick the resolution and the framerate and cram as much as possible on screen. Think about it, consoles are close to a 2080ti, go back 3 years and imagine someone calling a 2080ti a card only good enough for 4k30

Consoles are the baseline. Having more graphical power than a console allows you to push more frames.

If the consoles shipped with a GPU equal to a 3090 devs would still target 4k30 they would just have even more stuff on screen.

Edit: Devs want their games to look as good as possible, which is why they sometimes target 4k30.

What console players now have is the option to pick 60fps while sacrificing certain things

4k 30 looks like slowmotion with stutters, that's the console's weakness right there. When higher graphical fidelity is needed , devs have to work with that console limit.

That's why cross platform games always run and look worse on the PS5 compared to PC like RE8....

But, PS5 exclusives can look amazing because the devs are making it to exclusively look amazing for consoles, and they never release that game on PC so that they can make money on the console with exclusives (maybe when the game is dead they will release it on PC, like God of War).

Can PS5 even upscale all of their old PS4 games to play on PS5 at 4K60 with Ray Tracing?

Also, to the OP, console prices are scalped as well. I would only recommend buying directly for msrp.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom