Permabanned
Hi everyone,

I want to get a new professional pc workstation (desktop) since my laptop is quite old (2014). I am using Autocad and 3DS MAX with vray for architectural moideling, rendering and animation and gaming.

Do you have any build up to recommend? For example should I be looking for a better graphics card? or the ram?

I was looking at the overclocked pc workstations (see below) but I am not sure which is the best for my needs; even though that I can upgrade them even more...

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/tita...-core-i5-7600k-4.8ghz-kabylake-fs-125-og.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...-pc-intel-core-i7-8700k-4.9ghz-fs-1bw-og.html

As for my budget is around £2500-£3000.. thanking you in advance... G

It is mostly for professional work.

Yeap I will need a monitor and a keyboard.

As for the windows license I don't need it.

Hi,

This system:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,757.84 (includes shipping: £14.10)​

Soldato
Check out benchmarks you might find a 32 gb thread ripper with gaming gpu is destroyed by standard hex i7 16gb with mid range quadro.

I don't know which is the best solution.

Permabanned
Check out benchmarks you might find a 32 gb thread ripper with gaming gpu is destroyed by standard hex i7 16gb with mid range quadro.

I don't know which is the best solution.

A standard 6-core processor cannot destroy a 16-core processor, how does it come at all? :confused:

Better with this graphics card, then:

Total: £669.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)​

Soldato
A standard 6-core processor cannot destroy a 16-core processor, how does it come at all? :confused:

Better with this graphics card, then:

Total: £669.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)

When paired with a quadro it might, I don't know the answer that's why I said he needs to check out benchmarks.

It might be a gaming card is as good as quadro, it might be the the software is poorly optimised and can only use 4 cores... The card you linked may destroy a 3k quadro,, without benchmarks we cannot be sure

As soon as we move to professional software you need to research a lot more for to the best solution.

If you have experience with the software op is asking about feel free to spec him a system.

I'm not saying you are wrong BTW

Permabanned
When paired with a quadro it might, I don't know the answer that's why I said he needs to check out benchmarks.

It might be a gaming card is as good as quadro, it might be the the software is poorly optimised and can only use 4 cores... The card you linked may destroy a 3k quadro,, without benchmarks we cannot be sure

As soon as we move to professional software you need to research a lot more for to the best solution.

If you have experience with the software op is asking about feel free to spec him a system.

I'm not saying you are wrong BTW

You are right in proposing FirePro or Quadro.
It is how it must be done.

Soldato
attempted a mash up, more cores provided by intel at mainstream with ryzen, but not chart topping at x299 and x399 10 core plus/quad ram systems
Quadro card to power the grunt of the work and is better suited then geforce based cards- although Titan Xp could be worth the shout in its sheer power
32GB of ram to allow for heavy multitasking and photoshop UV maps to overlay on 3d work.

As you've mentioned this is a working PC- all drives in redundancy settings, RAID 1 for SSD and HDD and 512GB NVMe for OS and programs.
Idea being all your application saved on OS drive, current work load such as a Piece of work for rendering saved in the SSD for quick loading and saving , then Render and completed Animation file moved over to the larger slower drives - as they wont be worked on or as much and used in storage.
nothing worse then working on a piece in 3DS Max that is huge and having to wait for your HDD to load it, yet once its complete or put on back burner taking up storage space.
HDD would be used to save textures , files docs etc etc etc
in tern, if raid is not needed, you've got 2TB worth of SSD!

Total: £2,685.49 (includes shipping: £14.70)​

Permabanned
Helps if you find the right review.. that's the M4000 Not P4000...

Also seems they both trade blows in that one, AMD appealing with nicer price tag again, M4000 version not P4000

No.

They don't trade anything. If in a given benchmark the M4000 is faster, it is slightly faster. If in another benchmark the WX7100 is faster, is multiple times faster.
The P4000 is faster than the M4000 but won't match the WX7100 is these benchmarks.

Soldato
No.

They don't trade anything. If in a given benchmark the M4000 is faster, it is slightly faster. If in another benchmark the WX7100 is faster, is multiple times faster.
The P4000 is faster than the M4000 but won't match the WX7100 is these benchmarks.

M and P are different products aimed at different markets. Your assuming that the WX7100 is faster off nothing. I don't assume , I haven't even stated which one. Those why would you chose the WX7100 when there's Vega architecture which is supieor ... Though question comes into building around its price bracket .

Been a while since I've rendered and designed so out of the loop. Hopefully someone will come in with current experience of the two

Permabanned
M and P are different products aimed at different markets. Your assuming that the WX7100 is faster off nothing. I don't assume , I haven't even stated which one. Those why would you chose the WX7100 when there's Vega architecture which is supieor ... Though question comes into building around its price bracket .

Been a while since I've rendered and designed so out of the loop. Hopefully someone will come in with current experience of the two

Err? :confused:
M stands for Maxwell, P stands for Pascal. How are those for different markets?
Vega architecture is fine but it is also more expensive? We have a budget to cover here, after all, shall we?

Just look at these results:

Soldato
@4K8KW10

P4000 Floating point, Texture fill rate and Pixel rate is double that M4000.
In rendering , P4000 is 1.5x faster then M4000 is P5000 being double

Pascal is the most superior GPU architecture to date . Vega came out strong on paper , but nothing more , let down by current node, hopefully 12nm products end of year will improve - but then you've got Nvidia slapping down new GPUs in August

Unfortunately there isn't any videos of p4000 against the WX7100 as they all against the M4000 , which above is 1.5x slower .

Looks of pricing, Vega Workstation I much more attractive then flagship quadro and should out muscle the P4000 entry card ! But it's squeezing extra £600 out .

Review P4000 is better then WX7100

http://www.develop3d.com/hardware/q...-p4000-cad-vr-viz-solidworks-vred-iray-pascal

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m surprised how little focus there is on the monitor. It looks like there ha e been loads of great suggestions for the build itself so I’d suggest the OP head over to the monitors forum and figure out which monitor to get.

After all, you will be staring st it for a long time - not an area to skimp on IMO

Soldato
I’m surprised how little focus there is on the monitor. It looks like there ha e been loads of great suggestions for the build itself so I’d suggest the OP head over to the monitors forum and figure out which monitor to get.

After all, you will be staring st it for a long time - not an area to skimp on IMO

Fair point but since it's not a hard core focused system, cuts the costs down without having to worry about fancy sync tech .
Though waiting for more HDR is a bit of a pain, if there's lots of UV wrapping envoled and textures.. want to truly know what your covering your models and scenes in .
Some modellers like touch screen monitors to directly paint onto the screen . Don't think I've seen much on here like that but might be I haven't had to look for it

Back
Top Bottom