Peltiers anyone use them ?

Soldato
OC_A64 said:
Custom phase doesn't have to be expensive, depends on what you want really. Decent head (ie chilly, kayl etc) is a LOT easier to fit, the stock Mach kit's are a right pain to get mounted though - agree with that! Can mount a chilly1 evap in ~ 2 mins, with pretty much perfect contact every time. Insulation took ~ 20 mins to sort on the P5B and don't get a drop of condensation. Ever.
They are still fiddly though, why are there no simple ones?

if it was as simple as fitting a heatsink/fan i would have mine repaired.. but its not

anyway, i still think their expensive and a pain to fit

Associate
Perfect_Chaos said:
They are still fiddly though, why are there no simple ones?

if it was as simple as fitting a heatsink/fan i would have mine repaired.. but its not

anyway, i still think their expensive and a pain to fit

Not hugely, they're a LOT easier than fitting the stock intel sink for example. Line up the holes with mounting rods, ensure the donut's not caught up and the evaps sat flat and tighten it down. Job done!

@Easy, below is a shot of the insulation used, ignore the vaseline that's there from DICE running, it's not needed at all. Will post some pics of the Chilly mounting (unless anyone else beats me to it) later on :)

Insulation.JPG

Insulations a single piece of neoprene foam. Used armaflex strips to build up the AB9 in a similar fashion, and again no issues with condensation under DICE or phase running.

Man of Honour
Tempted to go phase myself but it looks real messy. Most folk use lian-li with phase but is it compatible with other cases or do they have to be btx standard?

Associate
messiah khan said:
You not using any nail varnish or dieletric grease there OC_A64?

Nail varnish over surface mount components near CPU but thats it. Don't bother with Di-elec usually, vaseline does a good job of sealing the CPU if its needed (which it isn't if you've got good insulation).

@Easy, nail varnish (or conformal coating) helps stop shorts if you DO get any condensation forming. Isn't really needed (same as di-elec) if you've got a good seal though - unless you live in very humid conditions. :)

Soldato
w3bbo said:
Tempted to go phase myself but it looks real messy. Most folk use lian-li with phase but is it compatible with other cases or do they have to be btx standard?

Yeah its compatible with most cases. All you have to do is cut a small notch in the bottom of the case for the suction line to fit through. Personally im getting a phase unit built into the bottom of my Lian Li v2000 because I think it looks much neater.

Associate
Perfect_Chaos said:
Only problem is cpu's with cold bugs.

and the extra overclock u get out of it over water isnt worth it.. maybe 200mhz if ** lucky.

Quite often more than that, especially on the Core2's which seem to LOVE the cold. Gained ~ 400mhz benchable on the 6600 and ~ 300 on the 6300 going from water -> phase :) Gained another 300 mhz going from phase -> Dry Ice on the 6600. Every little helps :)

Soldato
OC_A64 said:
Quite often more than that, especially on the Core2's which seem to LOVE the cold. Gained ~ 400mhz benchable on the 6600 and ~ 300 on the 6300 going from water -> phase :) Gained another 300 mhz going from phase -> Dry Ice on the 6600. Every little helps :)
benchable eh?

not fully stable in other words.. hmm, watercooling brings it to its near limits, u have to be honest tho.. watercooling -> phasechange, thats my opinion. Since u gain so much more from water, then a tad bit extra with phase.

Associate
Perfect_Chaos said:
benchable eh?

not fully stable in other words.. hmm, watercooling brings it to its near limits, u have to be honest tho.. watercooling -> phasechange, thats my opinion. Since u gain so much more from water, then a tad bit extra with phase.

Watercooling doesn't give a massive boost over decent aircooling IMHO, especially with some of the newer MASSIVE heatsinks floating (or sinking..) around. You can get damn close to watercooled speeds with high end aircooling - this is assuming you don't have some uber cooling setup. Though, the water setup will probably be much quieter.

It adds ~ 400 mhz onto benchable speeds, so you would assume it would offer similar to stable speeds.

Associate
easyrider said:
so 4ghz dual orthos stable if I go phase?

That all?

Would want maybe 4.3ghz at least :p

Those are gains I've seen with this unit :) Would be different from machine to machine. This unit isn't hugely cold (~ -60 unloaded evap temp, -50 idle w/ 6300 @ 4.2ghz 1.55v)
Have a scan around and see what other phase users are running their CPU's at and what sorta temps/unit's they're running :)

Permabanned
id like a chill1 but at £500 its not worth it, i can get 3.4ghz unstable and 3.3 ghz stable using a tt12 at the top of my antec 900 case, so it has a fan exhaust at the top and next to it at the back. with a chilly1 im not going to get over 3.5ghz more as the fsb wont go over 510 ish on the ds3.....

Soldato
eracer2006 said:
id like a chill1 but at £500 its not worth it, i can get 3.4ghz unstable and 3.3 ghz stable using a tt12 at the top of my antec 900 case, so it has a fan exhaust at the top and next to it at the back. with a chilly1 im not going to get over 3.5ghz more as the fsb wont go over 510 ish on the ds3.....
exactly, phase change is for benching mainly.. not for proper everyday use like gaming etc, u might get a small speed boost.

overall watercooling is far better.

Caporegime
OP
I have so much more left in my quad with the multi and the FSB.

I am currently at 3.6ghz

I would have thought that 4.2 ghz would be achieveable on phase?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

IMG00040.jpg

I have water already!

Temps are ok but ideally would like them lower.

70c dual orthos prime it can creep too :eek:

Last edited:
Associate
easyrider said:
I have so much more left in my quad with the multi and the FSB.

I am currently at 3.6ghz

I would have thought that 4.2 ghz would be achieveable on phase?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Depends on how well the CPU scales, what sort of voltage you need to get there, what sort of load the phase unit's capable of etc.
4ghz if not more should be ok stable under phase I'd guess (assuming the unit's capable of holding the CPU and decent sub-zero temps) you'll probably get more benchable.

Back
Top Bottom