US: Penny Dreadful.

Man of Honour
Van Helsing was killed by John Clare in season one.

I'll miss Penny Dreadful, they could probably have gotten another season out of it, but I suppose not every loose end needs to be tied off.

Was he? Blimey I either completely missed that or totally forgot about it lol

Ahhhhh yes , having googled it I remember now, had indeed totally forgotten about it

Last edited:
Soldato
It was an alright ending but as mentioned lots of loose ends, the whole forshadowed Wolf vs Dracula fight didn't actually happen and in retrospect seems completely unnecessary to bring Dr Jekyll into this season to not actually use what the character is known for.

It wasn't bad but certain a poor series finale in terms of tying everything up. Dracula just legged it lol

Soldato
After sleeping on it, I think it more likely that Showtime decided to cancel the show half way through filming the season and gave the showrunner notice to wind it down. Why else was Dr.Jekyll and Catriona brought in? Lyle going off to Egypt only really makes sense if he was coming back with "the mummy" and possibly a way of exorcising the mother of evil from Vanessa. Also, the whole Dorian story just seemed to just fizzle out, we never really even got any back story about him.

Soldato
OP
It'll be back, and my guess it'll involve Mr Lyle rushing back from his Egyptian 'banishment' to bring tales of woe regarding that pesky Imhotep guy, whose tomb he said he was going to visit a few episodes back. Here's hoping they'll go down the Karloff, rather than the Vosloo, route.

Permabanned
I think it would be hard to get those actors back together after some time of it being off air so i wouldn't count on it. The lead 3 in particular are in high demand for movies never mind TV and it won't be long before they start new projects again.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Yup great shame its ended so quickly was a great show, no doubt the actors are in higher demand now.

Soldato
"Pretty Dreadful"? Sounds like the show is not for you then because the critics and most viewers would strongly disagree.

It was slow. There was too much backstory and character building for a series that was only going to last for 25 or so episodes. Never really got going until mid season 2.

Man of Honour
I think he's full of it and basically saying what he's been told to say given he has other Showtime projects.

As mentioned the show was clearly setting up the next story lines with Lord Hyde and Lyle's trip to Egypt.

Real shame but nothing new these days sadly.

I agree entirely with you on that. You do not bring in Dr Jekyll (and then not have him turn into Hyde) at the start of the season if you are planning to end the show at the season end. You do not blatantly set up The Mummy storyline if you are planning to end the show at the season end. You do not leave the characters storylines up in the air (Vanessa apart) if you are planning to end it this season. It really does all sound much more like the decision was made part way through the season that it was going to be canned and he is just playing it safe for future work.

Associate
Painfully obvious it was cancelled mid shoot and they had to rework. New characters being introduced for later plots, talk of the devil coming for Vanessa again etc.

Soldato
I couldn't believe it when i went to check what the latest episode was on epguides and saw the cancelled/ended at the top :(. Seemed like a great show that had loads more left in it.

Back
Top Bottom