Pension fund performance - do you monitor yours, how is it doing, do you actively change it?

His numbers don't make sense to me, I think he's wrong, as does someone else in the text.

Firstly I think hes a row out on his spreadsheet for the deferred one.*

The standard one hes correct. take 5 years hes got £10660, its 9471 with 3% applied annually.
Deferred however hes wrong, its 9755 (year 2 pension with 3% added), gives 10,320, apply 3% annually for 3 more years = £11,278 hes showing 10949, which is deferred pension with 2 years 3% added.
Payback = 17 odd years. (100/5.8% = 17.24 ;) )

With the 20% and the correct aging. The amount lost is only 9471 X 80% (£7577), so the payback is faster, around year 12.

With 40%, its year 10ish, because you only lost £5,682.

All above assuming as he says tax neutral. Gets rather complicated if you start adding in more criteria

* How the table should look
Year 1
9471​
Year 2
9755​
10321​
Year 3
10048​
10631​
Year 4
10349​
10949​
Year 5
10660​
11278​

Don't forget if you have enough income / savings elsewhere to consider deferring state pension, your likely to pay tax on the state pension on the way out, and then get it back if you recycle into personal pension so effectively it's tax neutral.

The reality says 98% of people at state pension age, want to take state pension and enjoy it/need to take it/have health issues and should take it etc.

I've only had 2 people I've known over 20+ years in financial servces be in a position to defer state pension/wish to defer state pension.

Take it and enjoy it. Don't put it off "to save a few quid".....

It used to be more lucrative so the benefit was nerfed. It used to be 1% per 5 weeks (just over 10% per year), but it was hacked back to 1% per 9 weeks. People living longer.

Last edited:
Soldato
His numbers don't make sense to me, I think he's wrong, as does someone else in the text.

Firstly I think hes a row out on his spreadsheet for the deferred one.*

The standard one hes correct. take 5 years hes got £10660, its 9471 with 3% applied annually.
Deferred however hes wrong, its 9755 (year 2 pension with 3% added), gives 10,320, apply 3% annually for 3 more years = £11,278 hes showing 10949, which is deferred pension with 2 years 3% added.
Payback = 17 odd years. (100/5.8% = 17.24 ;) )

With the 20% and the correct aging. The amount lost is only 9471 X 80% (£7577), so the payback is faster, around year 12.

With 40%, its year 10ish, because you only lost £5,682.

All above assuming as he says tax neutral. Gets rather complicated if you start adding in more criteria

* How the table should look
Year 1
9471​
Year 2
9755​
10321​
Year 3
10048​
10631​
Year 4
10349​
10949​
Year 5
10660​
11278​

It used to be more lucrative so the benefit was nerfed. It used to be 1% per 5 weeks (just over 10% per year), but it was hacked back to 1% per 9 weeks. People living longer.

he's not the only one that's done the maths, but that was the first video that was popped up on youtube.

Effectively you're giving up a year worth pension (100%) to make 5% gain a year later for the remaining years. so without including taxes, compound interest and growth it will take 20 years to recoupe that one years pension. But this is shorten by taxes, compound and growth.

if you were at 40%/45% taxes and you plan to drop to 0% tax for all of your pension period, then you may beable to recoupe that years lost income much more quickly. But it you're at 40/45% you surely have a much better way of delaying taxes and the 9.5k of the pension is a small percentage of your overall income anyway.

Soldato
Like I said previous - It's exceedingly rare for anyone to defer state pension these days.
Used to be good, change to not as good and almost everyone will take it as soon as they can.... Literally seen 2 people in 20+ years in financial services defer it... both times females who worked on in jobs they enjoyed and didn't need the extra income at that time.

I'm not saying he should defer just that its an option.
All options should be reviewed.
Deferral went from pretty lucrative (at 10%) and especially as a 40% tax payer who only lost 60% when they were working anyway. To a bit meh. But rules can change, and my experience is that many people have no idea you can defer it.
Even if for them, or in general deferral may not make sense at that time, its a viable possibility for some.

The other thing is the return is calculated on unknowns.

Also those who took it before have seen a better growth, its a gamble but pensions have risen by around 4.5% compounded the last 8 years, obviously due to high inflation the last couple of years.

People are trying to predict the unpredictable and form a conclusion when in reality its just a gamble.
Eg 4.5% would bring the equal point to year 14 for a non tax payer.
Who knows, 3% could be a high number for the annual inflation gain, but if its not then the payback can come earlier.

Associate
Does anyone have any thoughts on the below pension fund allocation? This is under works Aviva scheme and I wanted to move away from the default low risk fund you get. It's performed super well in the last 6 months, obviously inline with markets - but I'm curious if this is a sensible split for the long run?

92% - Aviva Pensions BlackRock World ex-UK Equity Index Tracker
5% - Aviva Pensions BlackRock UK Equity Index Tracker
3% - Aviva Pensions BlackRock Emerging Markets Index Tracker

My plan was to roughly try and mirror a global all cap fund out of the available Aviva options. Does this seem fairly sensible? To high risk for late 30s?

Suspended
Does anyone have any thoughts on the below pension fund allocation? This is under works Aviva scheme and I wanted to move away from the default low risk fund you get. It's performed super well in the last 6 months, obviously inline with markets - but I'm curious if this is a sensible split for the long run?

92% - Aviva Pensions BlackRock World ex-UK Equity Index Tracker
5% - Aviva Pensions BlackRock UK Equity Index Tracker
3% - Aviva Pensions BlackRock Emerging Markets Index Tracker

My plan was to roughly try and mirror a global all cap fund out of the available Aviva options. Does this seem fairly sensible? To high risk for late 30s?
You're going to have to re-balance at least once each year if one or two funds outperform. If you're happy with that then fine.

I'm off Aviva now so can't look things up, but I just got the hump with the complications so do global tracker + small US overweight on the side and chill.

What you are looking at is probably miles better than the default fund anyway.

Soldato
Yeah looks good I think, some of this will be down to personal preference as well. Guessing game as to which areas will do best in the future somewhat.

If you wanted US overweight then you could drop a few % world ex-UK and add S&P 500 tracker in the space instead.

If you don't want US overweight then stick as you are I think.

Associate
Great thanks guys, I had not considered rebalancing and can't even see a way to do that so will look into it to ensure it doesn't go out of sync, maybe it's automatic. I'll look at an S&P fund option as well, although the ex-UK seems to at least currently hold heavily in US tech stocks anyway.

Soldato
Great thanks guys, I had not considered rebalancing and can't even see a way to do that so will look into it to ensure it doesn't go out of sync, maybe it's automatic. I'll look at an S&P fund option as well, although the ex-UK seems to at least currently hold heavily in US tech stocks anyway.

Yes it does, so it's all optional really! It's not like you require the S&P as you say you have a high US % from the world one anyway. Just a thing in case you wanted to throw extra in that direction you could via S&P tracker.

Re-balancing you'd need to do manually, you send instruction to sell some of X and buy Y with it, or otherwise adjust the way the splits are done each time a payment comes in to buy more of one thing and less of something else.

I don't think they'll drift too badly but EM tends to underperform a bit lately, so it could drop from 3% to less than 3% in the long run. I think it's worth having some EM exposure though just in case it does well later on.

Suspended
After a year, look at how your current fund allocations compare to your original percentage allocations by value against the total.

Basically you'll end up selling some of one or two and buying other(s) to restore the original allocation by percentage. This can incur fees.

It's why I'm just happy to keep it simple.

Suspended
Yes it's why I'd adjust the new purchase % values rather than selling X to buy more Y, it will slowly re-align if you buy more of it and less of the other thing.
The annoying thing with OEICs vs ETFs is that you'll potentially have money out of the market for a few days as well when re-balancing. I don't like the risk of missing the best days so yeah, that is a far better option.

Last edited:
Suspended
58 now, no mortgage and no other commitments, expensive lifestyle, what sort of pension fund would you think Ii would need to knock it one the head in next couple of years?
Find a drawdown calculator and play around. Rule of thumb is that your yearly drawdown should be 4% of the pension pot.

Soldato
58 now, no mortgage and no other commitments, expensive lifestyle, what sort of pension fund would you think Ii would need to knock it one the head in next couple of years?
If you’ve no pension at all then look at a medium risk fund where you can put in 60k a year.

Soldato
Depends entirely on how much you want to spend a year. Have a play around with this:

Soldato
Define expensive lifestyle? What pensions do you currently have and their value, DB/DC etc. How much in ISAs? Are you married and can you utilise your partners tax allowances etc? Which fund is probably not a simple answer, investing into retirement and needing access to cash is different than before.

Soldato
£1.5-2m net worth not including the property you live in.
And this is why people work until they drop, thinking they need that much :p
How much you need is completely dependent on lifestyle. I have nothing like that amount and stopped work two years ago, in my 50's. Saying that, £1.5-2m isn't going to go very far if he spends half a million a year so you can't give a figure unless he does.

Last edited:
Soldato
And this is why people work until they drop, thinking they need that much :p
How much you need is completely dependent on lifestyle. I have nothing like that amount and stopped work two years ago, in my 50's. Saying that, £1.5-2m isn't going to go very far if he spends half a million a year so you can't give a figure unless he does.
Tbf he did say expensive lifestyle. Which is why I asked what that means because as we all know one person's expensive is another's spare change.

Back
Top Bottom