Pension fund performance - do you monitor yours, how is it doing, do you actively change it?

I'm contributing around 35% of my basic salary into pension with work putting in another 5%, bonuses and dividends go to top up annual allowance (now its been upped to 60k) then ISAs/GIA. The remainder is just about enough for us to live comfortably but not extravagently.

According to the net worth calculator above I am in the 'prodigious accumulator' category but this is skewed by my company equity which is not really liquid.

There seems to be some disagreement about whether pension should be included in net wealth calculations.
That makes it confusing to know whether it has been included or not unless explicitly stated.
Maybe there's a standard answer to that which qualified finance ppl are aware of, but the average joe isn't.

I'm not sure why you won't include pension pots into the wealth calculator? as pension pots are normally the biggest percentage of someone's assets, that then followed by someone's housing.

Any bonus at mine isn't able to go into my work place pension. Which is annoying as it's salary sacrifice.

Because I don't need it, as I never expect it. I'd rather have the choice as well

Ours just let us fill in a tiny form to choose to sacrifice it or a proportion of it. Sounds like HR are just being awkward?

You could technically work around it by asking for your normal salary sacrifice to be increased for a month or so by the amount of your bonus and then ask to decrease it agian though. Which would give them more admin, but you're perfectly free to do it I guess.

I'm contributing around 35% of my basic salary into pension with work putting in another 5%, bonuses and dividends go to top up annual allowance (now its been upped to 60k) then ISAs/GIA. The remainder is just about enough for us to live comfortably but not extravagently.

According to the net worth calculator above I am in the 'prodigious accumulator' category but this is skewed by my company equity which is not really liquid.

I have to assume those putting this much in are on fairly substantial salaries. So it's not just 35pc..that 35pc is a big number too

Had £70k in my old workplace L&G pension which has seen "good" growth but nothing fantastic. I'm happy for a bit of risk, just transferred it all to the Vanguard FTSE Global All Cap. Should have probably done some research but I don't really have time and I've been saying I should sort it for over a year. From reading this seems to be what people recommend?

First time using vanguard, I was sure there was an app or am I imagining things ?

No app yet and I'm not sure its a bad thing either. Stops you loooking at performance all the time.
I only look once a year really month of my birthday.

It's a shame you can't get your employer to pay into your chosen pension.
If my maths is correct my with pension performance 22-23 was only 3% and the Vanguard was around 7% my maths might be wrong though.

Is it possible to move the money?

Last edited:
I'm 38 and mines at about 70k-80k. So I'm behind! Does feel that way too.

20 percent is a huge Contribution!

27% here, including my employers contributions.

After my next house I'll probably bump it up so it's about 32-35%.

Don't make huge amounts, but at this rate should be sufficient to retire at 60 (hopefully sooner). All depending on lifestyle etc

Fortunate enough that I started a pretty decent pension at 21.

Had £70k in my old workplace L&G pension which has seen "good" growth but nothing fantastic. I'm happy for a bit of risk, just transferred it all to the Vanguard FTSE Global All Cap. Should have probably done some research but I don't really have time and I've been saying I should sort it for over a year. From reading this seems to be what people recommend?

First time using vanguard, I was sure there was an app or am I imagining things ?

Overall you have put it in a better fund than it used to be in with L&G. What was the previous fund called? Was it a global fund?

You had the following choices:
Vanguard FTSE All-World UCITS ETF USD Accumulation (VWRP) 0.22%
Vanguard FTSE Developed World UCITS ETF USD Accumulation (VHVG) 0.12%
Vanguard FTSE Developed World ex-U.K. Equity Index Fund 0.14%
Vanguard FTSE Global All Cap Index Fund 0.23%

You also had potentially these along with their own LS funds:

Vanguard S&P 500 UCITS ETF USD Accumulation (VUAG)
Vanguard U.S. Equity Index Fund
Vanguard FTSE All-World High Dividend Yield UCITS ETF USD Distributing (VHYL)

You went with: Vanguard FTSE Global All Cap Index Fund 0.23%

At most you would have saved fees with a few of the others but then you have accounted for emerging markets and small cap within your fund and a leave it alone strategy.
You can also not have any money leftover as not an ETF.

There is no poll in this thread but I see a mixture of VWRP / VHVG and VAFTGAG (ALL-CAP) being mentioned as their Vanguard holdings.

You can't go wrong with any but with that pot size the most you can do is save on fees.

Will you be adding any more to that pot?

I have VHVG but my partner had ex-U.K. in hers with another provider and looking at her Vanguard options at the moment and undecided.

27% here, including my employers contributions.

After my next house I'll probably bump it up so it's about 32-35%.

Don't make huge amounts, but at this rate should be sufficient to retire at 60 (hopefully sooner). All depending on lifestyle etc

Fortunate enough that I started a pretty decent pension at 21.

Can only assume people able to put in (let's say) 20pc of their income are either

-focusing on future rather than now. Ie living relatively modestly to retire earlier.
-earn so much they can put in that much.

Putting in 20pc would definitely impact my holiday options etc. So it would be luxuries.

It just seems such a high amount

Can only assume people able to put in (let's say) 20pc of their income are either

-focusing on future rather than now. Ie living relatively modestly to retire earlier.
-earn so much they can put in that much.

Putting in 20pc would definitely impact my holiday options etc. So it would be luxuries.

It just seems such a high amount

In a similar position. Wanting to up beyond 20% but has a slight impact on the now. The OH wants to retire early and when mention you need to bump up % she is like what about my spend on xyz. It not a light decision to make hence told her to lump sum it every so often into her SIPP rather than high % every month.

Back
Top Bottom