Pension fund performance - do you monitor yours, how is it doing, do you actively change it?

Don't panic lads and lasses.
Economic fundamentals are still sound especially in the US. I wouldn't try and be too smart buying into the dip just yet especially with the overvalued tech stocks. their valuations are not based on economic fundamentals.

I spent a bit of time at the weekend modelling my retirement plans and was pleasantly surprised as to what might be possible in terms of packing up work early. Need it verified by an IFA at some point but I might just be into my last two years of full time work. (provided the markets don't meltdown)
I'm in a similar situation where I can start winding down to part-time in a year or so if all my sums are right but could do without a meltdown! :D

I'll be shoving extra money in to pension and S&S ISA/GIA via tranches. I'm under no illusion that I'm some sort of genius that can time the market correctly. ;)

Hold tight everyone :D

Last edited:
just a note, as it's something that I didn't know you could do...
but you can ask for £500 pounds per year, three times in a lifetime from your pension to hire a IFA to help with your pension planning.

Last edited by a moderator:
just a note, as it's something that I didn't know you could do...
but you can ask for £500 pounds per year, three times in a lifetime from your pension to hire a IFA to help with your pension planning.

Never knew that, but just be warned depending on when you take a £500 withdrawal it could cost you thousands over the lifetime of the pension if you don't pay it back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never knew that, but just be warned depending on when you take a £500 withdrawal it could cost you thousands over the lifetime of the pension if you don't pay it back.
yeah... but some people have really poor pension plans.. spending £500 could get their funds invested into a much better plan and earn thousands...
If someone had like a poor pot that they are no longer paying into, It's worth considering paying the £500; and that's a max of £500, the IFA could be much cheaper to help get their current and all other pots into order.

So I know that the standard generic advice that works for most people up to a certain age is to invest in a global tracker.

For those that are getting close to taking their pension, what's the standard generic advice for a less volatile EFT ?

Last edited:
So I know that the standard generic advice that works for most people up to a certain age is to invest in a global tracker.

For those that are getting close to taking their pension, what's the standard generic advice for a less volatile EFT ?

Are you planning to buy an annuity (ie a pension of £x) or planning to drawdown in intervals

I have all mine in two SIPPs at the moment, and I actively monitor and manage the funds on a daily basis. I managed to shepherd through some share purchases and actually managed to make both grow pretty well. I am not pretending to have any real knowledge though and I guess in another decade I will pop it all in low risk funds to keep it steady!

Last edited:
I have all mine in two SIPPs at the moment, and I actively monitor and manage the funds on a daily basis. I managed to shepherd through some share purchases and actually managed to make both grow pretty well. I am not pretending to have any real knowledge though and I guess in another decade I will pop it all in low risk funds to keep it steady!
Why do you take such a risk if you don't have the knowledge?

Why do you take such a risk if you don't have the knowledge?
Because generally speaking high risk = high reward, and with me monitoring it daily I can always back out of a losing position relatively quickly. I also spread my stuff into 20+ funds between the two, with no overlaps, and I'm up over 30% since I started actively managing it, opposed to leaving it in "managed funds" for a decade where it basically didn't go up at all, and with inflation ultimately I lost money. For me it's worth the risk of turning not a lot into something a lot better.
Even with knowledge the risk takers usually lose ;)
Ain't that the truth!

Because generally speaking high risk = high reward, and with me monitoring it daily I can always back out of a losing position relatively quickly. I also spread my stuff into 20+ funds between the two, with no overlaps, and I'm up over 30% since I started actively managing it, opposed to leaving it in "managed funds" for a decade where it basically didn't go up at all, and with inflation ultimately I lost money. For me it's worth the risk of turning not a lot into something a lot better.
When I was talking about risk, I was referring to the risk of you making trades without the knowledge, not strategically taking on risky investments that might have correspondingly high rewards. That type of risk doesn't usually have higher reward - the opposite :)

What age? Someone can live till 80 while another can live till a 100.. so if you stop investing at x age, you could lose n years of gains (or loses), the only thing is certain is that you need a larger starting pot for it to last if you stop investing and calculate the funds needed.

Pensions are not inheritance taxed, so it may be best if you just leave it there.

I think my plan at the moment and I’m still over 20 years left till my government given retirement date is to…
- From 5 years out, start to look at ideal times to start selling.
- Have a 3-5 years (ideally 3 years) bonds/cash buffer, keeping the rest in the market.
- When the market is low, don’t sell and use the buffer.
- but try to sell the maximum tax allowance plus 25% each year for it to be tax effective.
- when the market is high, sell and refill the buffers, if needed up to a max of a 5 years buffer again.
- if I go over the amount required for a 5 year buffer for whatever reason invest the extra into an stocks and shares isa.

As for the cash buffer, I’ll be looking at keeping a years worth in a high interest savings account, transferring every month to pay the bills.

Premium bonds for tax free returns, short 2-3 year bonds, fixed rate cash ISAs and regular savers account for cash in the buffer that is designated for cash that is in the 2 years plus part of the buffer.

I think this should work for me as I have defined benefits pension pots which I may buy an annuity with and hopefully will get a full state pension that will help, also a stock and shares isa pot that I can dip into to be more tax efficient.

Heck I say this, but in 20 odd years time, I may just be sick of it all and cash up and get an annuity lol

So I'm 60, considering taking my pension in another year-2 years. I will continue to add to the pension during that time, and want to have it invested in something. My understanding is that the world index approach really requires 5-10 years to flatten out bumps, so given I have 1-2 years left, I don't want to risk a downward bump that might not flatten out in 2 years.

However having read the responses, I'm realising that just because I am retired in the future and no longer contributing, it does not necessarily mean I need to move away from a tracker. The concern would be that if a bump happens just as I retire, and it takes a couple of years to neutralise, in those couple of years I'll have reduced the already lowered pension by say 5% a year, and it might significantly throw-off it's longevity (I'll need to take more in the early years until the state pension kicks in). In other words are trackers that have 5-10 year requirement to be "fool-proof" still the best place to be when you are drawing a pension and need more sureity of value of the pension pot going forward ?

I'm not sure yet whether annuity or drawdown is best for me, but I think drawdown. I'll have to draw more out of the pension personal for the first 5-6 years.

Last edited:
So I'm 60, considering taking my pension in another year-2 years. I will continue to add to the pension during that time, and want to have it invested in something. My understanding is that the world index approach really requires 5-10 years to flatten out bumps, so given I have 1-2 years left, I don't want to risk a downward bump that might not flatten out in 2 years.

However having read the responses, I'm realising that just because I am retired in the future and no longer contributing, it does not necessarily mean I need to move away from a tracker. The concern would be that if a bump happens just as I retire, and it takes a couple of years to neutralise, in those couple of years I'll have reduced the already lowered pension by say 3% a year, and it might significantly throw-off it's longevity. In other words are trackers that have 5-10 year requirement to be "fool-proof" still the best place to be when you are drawing a pension and need more sureity of value of the pension pot going forward ?

I'm not sure yet whether annuity or drawdown is best for me, but I think drawdown. I'll have to draw more out of the pension personal for the first 5-6 years until the state pension kicks in (assuming it's still around).
Having the flexibility to reduce income taken from pot if you get caught by poor performance in those key initial years helps manage that risk. Typically by having an uninvested buffer and/or being willing to reduce spending.

However having read the responses, I'm realising that just because I am retired in the future and no longer contributing, it does not necessarily mean I need to move away from a tracker. The concern would be that if a bump happens just as I retire, and it takes a couple of years to neutralise, in those couple of years I'll have reduced the already lowered pension by say 3% a year, and it might significantly throw-off it's longevity. In other words are trackers that have 5-10 year requirement to be "fool-proof" still the best place to be when you are drawing a pension and need more sureity of value of the pension pot going forward ?

I'm not sure yet whether annuity or drawdown is best for me, but I think drawdown. I'll have to draw more out of the pension personal for the first 5-6 years until the state pension kicks in (assuming it's still around).

Right so you probably need to either, do some basic modelling in excel yourself to get an idea what sort of lifetime your pot can provide for based on some average values.
Don't get overly fixated on things like worst case, even some monumentally large funds perform badly under this scenario. Plan for a sensible middle ground.

Or, go and see a FA and get them to help.

Its very difficult as your going to have to make a choice on some things that you cannot predict, how long will you live etc.

You may find you simply cannot afford to retire yet, or that you can but your lifestyle will have to be very basic.
Or that maybe you need some alternate limited sources of funds, eg plan to do some xmas jobs, or summer jobs etc.

Unfortunately one of the key timings for many people is just after retirement, if its a downturn and they end up taking in effect more out (because returns are low or negative) it significantly impacts the long term.

Linked to above, what you always want to try to avoid is having to sell decent sized chunks of investments in a dip.

Your making the right noises in regards thinking about it. Slinxy gave a bit of a complicated scenario he plans for himself above but thats the sort of thing you can aim for.
You drop some funds from the higher volatility funds into lower ones, those are the ones you plan to use in early years and plan to top them up as you go from the high volatility.
If the high volatility are seemingly really on a high then sell a bit extra, drop them in low volatility. You can always do the opposite should it be beneficial later.

You still want to maintain a good portion in high volatility high growth but have enough in the opposite so you aren't being forced to sell at lows.
A few years should be enough for most people most of the time.

You also want to be maximising tax opportunities as well.

An example of how its difficult to plan perfectly is the 25% tax free lump. Its been held as pretty sacred and as such most would plan around that. Either to do some thing like pay off the house, or as part of tax efficient drawdown.
There is now a chance that may change come the budget and those people who made the "wrong" choice to fully take their 25% early may well end up having made a genius decision by luck.

Generally drawdown is recommended for larger pots, and buying an annuity with the guarantee that provides for smaller ones.
You can of course hybrid. Get an annuity that gets you to the basic minimum you need to survive, and use drawdown for the rest so you can time withdrawls.
More difficult if you retire early however since your early years income needs to be higher. (Unless you save to fund that via eg ISAs)

However having read the responses, I'm realising that just because I am retired in the future and no longer contributing, it does not necessarily mean I need to move away from a tracker. The concern would be that if a bump happens just as I retire, and it takes a couple of years to neutralise, in those couple of years I'll have reduced the already lowered pension by say 5% a year, and it might significantly throw-off it's longevity (I'll need to take more in the early years until the state pension kicks in). In other words are trackers that have 5-10 year requirement to be "fool-proof" still the best place to be when you are drawing a pension and need more sureity of value of the pension pot going forward ?

I'm not sure yet whether annuity or drawdown is best for me, but I think drawdown. I'll have to draw more out of the pension personal for the first 5-6 years.
sequence of events does matter, if you start your pension when the market is bad it's more likely to run out than if the market is bad towards your end.

It's your retirement and depending on your circumcises and what you want to do during it... so a PFA is really needed, you can take £500 pounds from your pension pot tax free to pay for one.

There are many money market funds around, I've linked the vanguard version... those are the most stable you're going to get but as the name states, it's only really suitable for 1-2 years

Then comes government bonds... it's possible to spread your pot across serveal markets.

in gerneal the typical pension involves selling all your shares and buying an annuity, draw down methods have only been around since 1995 and is still considered a new thing... also it's not an all or nothing, you can use part of your pot for an annuity and draw down the rest of it.

The main thing to consider is how you use your 25% tax free part of your pension, people have made mistakes and it's cost them a lot more in taxes in the long run.

What you can also do is switch from accumulating funds to distiburting funds, so that any dividends is paid to you rather than re-invested.

I ran the predictor on my current pension and I'm basically losing about £500 pounds a year if I go for the 100% annuity route, but this does not cover the amount that I "may" gain or lose if the money was kept in the market.

EDIT:
When running the forecast, it's really depends on the level of risk you want to take. for it to be 100%, it means that 99% of the time you will have money in the pot at the point you die, often too much money.

Even at 90%, it means there's an 89% chance that you have stacks of cash left which is great if you have someone to leave it all to.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom