Pension fund performance - do you monitor yours, how is it doing, do you actively change it?

Caporegime
Says view only for me, can't change anything.

If you're signed in to a Google account you should get a button to 'use template'.

JhuPWNt.png

How are you managing your pension pots? I have a small pension being managed by SJP at a cost of 2% per year. Granted the pot is low but surely there has to be a cheaper way to manage it myself?

2%?? That can't be right.

It's SJP, it's going to be right. :cry:

Don't use SJP is the easy answer.

Last edited:
Associate
How is it that the Global All Cap has had a surge fast few days? It has done me well whilst the other funs in a SIPP with Developed World VHVG didn't get as much gains?! I know I shouldn't overthink it as different factors and timings.

Soldato
How is it that the Global All Cap has had a surge fast few days? It has done me well whilst the other funs in a SIPP with Developed World VHVG didn't get as much gains?! I know I shouldn't overthink it as different factors and timings.
Well global all cap is 60% US and the S&P 500 has done very well the last few days.

Associate
Anyone getting ready to add a lump sum to their SIPP or workplace pension prior to the end of the FY?
I ended up doing a small extra contribution. I underpaid tax a bit this year so compensated for that rather than have to pay another lump sum when submitting SA.

Soldato
OP
When looking at a global fund, the USA is like 60% of the world. However the US is only 25% of the global GDP.

China is like 17% of global GDP, but only 2.5% of an all world index.

Basically companies listed in the USA, operate in china, like apple for example.

You are already invested in emerging markets.

Editing the geographical data of funds/ETF to reflect the real world might be useful rather than going by where each company is listed.
So you're saying no need to have an emerging markets fund separately, even if you can't access an all world index?

I agree that big global companies operate across the whole world but without an EM fund you're specifically not invested in companies stationed in some countries like Africa, South America etc.

Associate
How are you managing your pension pots? I have a small pension being managed by SJP at a cost of 2% per year. Granted the pot is low but surely there has to be a cheaper way to manage it myself?

Do you have a occupational pension or GPP provided by your current employer? If so they are likely to have negotiated a good fee structure, so look into transferring there.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well global all cap is 60% US and the S&P 500 has done very well the last few days.
Annoying as I’m just about to have my bonus dumped into pension investments tomorrow and I missed that surge!

I know, I know, shouldn’t think about timing the market… I still think the US could be great this year given how a lot of companies outside the big 7 still haven’t recovered. :)

Associate
Annoying as I’m just about to have my bonus dumped into pension investments tomorrow and I missed that surge!

I know, I know, shouldn’t think about timing the market… I still think the US could be great this year given how a lot of companies outside the big 7 still haven’t recovered. :)

I think this is the biggest hurdle to get over about shouldn't think about timing the market.
I had funds in Vanguard All Cap and they had big surge and also had funds in Developed World VHVG that missed the surge and it got me thinking why oh why do we sometimes make it more difficult than it is?

It seems having multiple index funds isn't really the way forward and should concentrate on just having the one and not muddy the waters.

I even saw one post somewhere mention they had:

LS80, LS100, Global All Cap and Vanguard FTSE Developed World ex UK but surely they are much alike in the grand scheme and at most should only have 2?

Soldato
I think this is the biggest hurdle to get over about shouldn't think about timing the market.
I had funds in Vanguard All Cap and they had big surge and also had funds in Developed World VHVG that missed the surge and it got me thinking why oh why do we sometimes make it more difficult than it is?

It seems having multiple index funds isn't really the way forward and should concentrate on just having the one and not muddy the waters.

I even saw one post somewhere mention they had:

LS80, LS100, Global All Cap and Vanguard FTSE Developed World ex UK but surely they are much alike in the grand scheme and at most should only have 2?

For my personal stuff, I just keep it simple now with FTSE Global All Cap (Acc) and overweight a little as I feel like it with the US Equity Index Fund (Acc).

For my work pension, I just picked the closest thing I could find to a global index tracker (split by approximate market cap) and verified that it was holding companies I wanted. You really have to pay attention to some of these work schemes because in my case one of the "global" funds available was 50% UK! :eek:

No stress, has been working out well :)

Last edited:
Caporegime

Just don't think about it too much.

You'll still hold 'n' number of units in that fund so whether it's now or in 3 years it's all good.

Associate

I prefer to dollar cost average my contributions over the year by increasing my monthly contributions rather than do big bonus lump sums. I know this can bring its own risk if bonus amount is highly variable. That said, I did make an additional contribution to my SIPP this month.

Soldato
I prefer to dollar cost average my contributions over the year by increasing my monthly contributions rather than do big bonus lump sums. I know this can bring its own risk if bonus amount is highly variable. That said, I did make an additional contribution to my SIPP this month.
Yeah but that's not really possible and it's the best way to reduce my tax liability. Instant 40% gain by dumping bonus into pension via salary sacrifice/AVC mechanism. :)

I do cost average by putting in every month as well. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
This thread has got me thinking I need to start making more of my pension.

I'm considering paying in a lump sum before the end of the month and using some of my unused allowance from previous years (I think the rule is I can carry over from the last three tax years 2020-2021, 2021-2022, 2022-2023).

If I pay a lump sum into my private pension and have unused allowance from 3 tax years ago (so 2020-2021), how would I go about claiming the tax back?

I'd rather not have to wait until the next tax return. Is there a quicker process?

Last edited:
Soldato
After much debating and speaking to the wise… I’ve changed mine now..

Moved it out of lifestyle so I need to either move it back later or moved the funds around myself.

It’s now;
50% diverse funds
45% developed world
5% emerging markets…

Associate
After much debating and speaking to the wise… I’ve changed mine now..

Moved it out of lifestyle so I need to either move it back later or moved the funds around myself.

It’s now;
50% diverse funds
45% developed world
5% emerging markets…

Nice one. Anything out of the default will be a bonus and learning how it changes this. Just don't check daily like I've been past week and you'll be fine.

Associate
This thread has got me thinking I need to start making more of my pension.

I'm considering paying in a lump sum before the end of the month and using some of my unused allowance from previous years (I think the rule is I can carry over from the last three tax years 2020-2021, 2021-2022, 2022-2023).

If I pay a lump sum into my private pension and have unused allowance from 3 tax years ago (so 2020-2021), how would I go about claiming the tax back?

I'd rather not have to wait until the next tax return. Is there a quicker process?
I think SA would be best and it's not far off now, although you can phone them up. You'd need to drop in over £60k (including tax relief) to start using unused allowance from 2020-2021.

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting that the chap on pensioncraft is now recommending a two fund strategy while before he was all in on a single world tracker… not sure when he changed his method but he must be copying me..

Back
Top Bottom