Pentium D 805 OC Results

Associate
Raikiri said:
Dont see why the ram should be the problem, I am running really crappy DDR2 @ 1:1 with terrible timings and I have managed 34s on super pi. was around 42-44 at 3ghz

It might be more to do with the board, I may even risk trashing it with a bios flash later which would give me an excuse to buy another one at least.

Iam trying some different ram with faster timing now but it doesnt look to have improved things.

What board is that r3k0

Soldato
I've got an XP2500m clcocked to 2.27 at the moment. I do a lot of video encoding and find doing a DVD's worth of stuff can take 4-5 hours to encode. What sort of performance improvements am I going to see if I got one of these with that ASUS mobo that uses AGP and regular DDR? It could be the best upgrade I've ever made if it can cut that time down to a much more palatable figure.

Associate
That board definetly seems to be the daddy on this one but I wonder what other s might be ok too, I can strike asrock twins off the list at least with ddr1 havent tried ddr2 yet.

What cooling are you using, if Iam stuck I always try the extreme cold, window open & all fans to warp10 test to see if its down to heat or not :D

52 does seem low really

Soldato
He said he is using water cooling, although what exactly I don't know.

Stock cooling seems to be ok for me at 3.7 although I have a freezer 7 pro on the way, more to keep the noise down.

Associate
Dam if water cooling cant do 4ghz then theres not much hope on air :/
pap27ns.jpg

:(

Last edited:
Soldato
elroberto said:
I've got an XP2500m clcocked to 2.27 at the moment. I do a lot of video encoding and find doing a DVD's worth of stuff can take 4-5 hours to encode. What sort of performance improvements am I going to see if I got one of these with that ASUS mobo that uses AGP and regular DDR? It could be the best upgrade I've ever made if it can cut that time down to a much more palatable figure.

Video encoding will be muchly boosted by the multi threading that stuff like virtual dub takes advantage of, that and the fact that you'd have a much faster CPU ;)

By the way with the Asus Premium mobo - are you running the default cooling on the northbridge as well, much point putting something more fancy on it?

Associate
Im using a Swiftech block on cpu.
with 4x12cm fans on a double size rad.
temps are fine.
i will get round to putting a fan of some sort on the nb.

im thinking of getting yet "another" cpu kit for my prommie and seeing what a little ice will do for this sucker :) i gotta be able to get 4.0 stable and some more hopefully.

Associate
r3k0 said:
I gotta be able to get 4.0 stable and some more hopefully.

I got 4.1ghz without even breaking a sweat as far as voltages are concerned. The heat generated is another matter :( throttling like crazy.

I think with some decent cooling theres no reason I couldnt get 4.3ghz. Just checking my finances to see if I can afford something more substancial than a big Zalman.

Associate
OP
Hmmmmm, 4Ghz seems like the elusive barrier to break without temperature/throttling issues for most people.

It would be really cool if everyone could post the reported Voltage required for the chip as shown in Rightmark CPU Clock utility, and also their max stable overclock with voltage required and idle/load temperatures.

Mine: Required Voltage: 1.275v

Stable: 3.6Ghz OC at 1.35V
Idle - 42C Load - 65C no throttling

Associate
Arthalen said:
It would be really cool if everyone could post the reported Voltage required for the chip as shown in Rightmark CPU Clock utility, and also their max stable overclock with voltage required and idle/load temperatures.

Mine: Required Voltage: 1.2625v (This is the lowest one I have heard of so far)

Stable: 3.8Ghz OC at 1.4125V (Can get stable 4.01ghz at 1.4375v but temperatures soar)

Idle - 48C Load - 64C no throttling (At 4.01ghz Idle - 51c Load - 70c+ [mild but annoying throttling])

Associate
OP
Datamonkey said:
got one on order now to go in my shuttle sd31p,

currently have a 920 3.2 in there at 3.8 ghz fsb at 240mhz, but this chip should be better.

I'd be very careful here. The 920 range is based on the 65nm Presler range, which runs a lot cooler than the 8xx Smithfield range. Remember, the Smithfield chip is basically two Prescotts bolted together, and runs very hot.

In your Shuttle case it might just be too much to see much benefit over your 920 :/

Soldato
soon see lol,

heat will be the issue, as i have 3 hdd's and the ati x1900xtx in there lol. plus the dvd burner.

ahh well as long as i get it to 3.8mhz i will be very happy, as i can live with that till i build my new rig in a couple of months.

Wont be getting conroe for atleast 6 months after its release. Im not convinced that current boards will support it 100%

Back
Top Bottom