People and beaches

Soldato
I'm going to go a bit OT here (let's be honest the OP isn't a great discussion point anyway :p) - any issues with cars rusting prematurely? I'd like to live near the sea in future but I'm worried that it's not suitable for a petrolhead.
UK uses copious amounts of road salt in the winter so probably marginal if at all noticeable.

Don
I grew up in Woolacombe and would give anything to be able to live there again. Not for the summer mind you (which is bonkers with the amount of tourists) but for the autumn and spring. Empty beaches and wonderful views.

Soldato
I'm going to go a bit OT here (let's be honest the OP isn't a great discussion point anyway :p) - any issues with cars rusting prematurely? I'd like to live near the sea in future but I'm worried that it's not suitable for a petrolhead.

Haha, I haven’t no. And I own the common rusty German cars. And to be honest, going to look at other cars, I’ve not noticed any major premature rust on them either.

Man of Honour
live by the sea hate it when it gets busy .. i do wish all the morons would stay home .. most only come here for beer you can do that in your own place .. grrrrrr
The beach is their place. It is your place, my place, everyone's place. The locals don't magically have any more right to it than anyone else. Perhaps you should look for a quieter place which would mean moving away from the sea?

Soldato
I
The beach is their place. It is your place, my place, everyone's place. The locals don't magically have any more right to it than anyone else. Perhaps you should look for a quieter place which would mean moving away from the sea?

I totally understand him tho. We don’t come and sit in your local parks, we go to our beach :D

Man of Honour
I

I totally understand him tho. We don’t come and sit in your local parks, we go to our beach :D
You are more than welcome to come and sit in the parks in the area I live. Please spend lots of money on food, drink and parking while you're here so that the council can charge us locals less council tax. Thank you :)

Man of Honour
It was such a joy living next to a beach that I could walk to growing up. I miss it, but unfortunately my job just doesn’t easily allow me to live there anymore. I actually enjoyed the hot evenings and winter storms more than a sunny beach day. It was also blissfully quiet in the winter. If anyone’s been to Gower in Wales, they’ll know what I mean. Maybe for early retirement.

Man of Honour
I’ve never been one for beaches, I cba with all that carrying towels, sun cream, and a beach umbrella down to the beach after fighting for a parking spot, then five minutes after laying down, getting bored, but thinking, ‘Can’t move, we’ll lose our spot.’
My first wife could suffer it, we could only afford Spain in those days, and she’d slather the kids in sun cream, keep an eye on them, then top them up with the sun cream, while I’d slink off in search of a beach bar in the shade, and knock back a couple of café solos and shots of coñac.
My next inamorata, a Polish girl, could have lived on a beach, she loved them.
My circumstances had changed by then, and we’d sometimes spend all of June in NYC, me bumming around Manhattan and Queens, while she would spend all day at Jones Beach, Long Island, we’d meet up for dinner in Astoria, or Jackson Heights if we felt like a curry.
Maybe five years after she kicked me into touch, I had the dumb luck to meet the woman that I’m married to now.
She’s a whacky redhead, so has to be careful with the sun, so we rent pool homes in the southern U.S., where she’ll sit in the shade around the pool, sipping grapefruit juice until noon, then switches to vodka tonics, suits both of us.

Capodecina
Soldato
@Jean-F - beach clubs are the answer. They charge entry so there are no families with chavvy kids making a noise, no fighting for a place, no extra charge for sundecks or parasols, you get lots of space and you get table service. Some even have a no kids policy.

Man of Honour
It was such a joy living next to a beach that I could walk to growing up. I miss it, but unfortunately my job just doesn’t easily allow me to live there anymore. I actually enjoyed the hot evenings and winter storms more than a sunny beach day. It was also blissfully quiet in the winter. If anyone’s been to Gower in Wales, they’ll know what I mean. Maybe for early retirement.
We used to go to Gower a lot when I was a kid in the 70's. Lovely place.

Man of Honour
I would love to live near the sea. I've always loved the sea. My idea of retirement is to move somewhere like that. Unfortunately my wife won't consider it. She prefers the urban life. Once the kids are grown up and have flown the nest it might become a big issue between us as I really want to move away from the London area (I'm in Surrey but it's stil inside the M25). Ultimately it might come down to a decision between wife and building the sort of retirement I really want.

Caporegime

Yup. They rust like mad here. Can tell the difference in the car park between who lives locally and who lives even 10 miles inland.

Soldato
@Jean-F - beach clubs are the answer. They charge entry so there are no families with chavvy kids making a noise, no fighting for a place, no extra charge for sundecks or parasols, you get lots of space and you get table service. Some even have a no kids policy.

I definitely need to start hunting these places out. Your last few posts have me fully sold.

Capodecina
Soldato
I definitely need to start hunting these places out. Your last few posts have me fully sold.

Oh yes, and wifi. Useful if you're working. I was part of the "I hate beaches" crowd until I discovered them. It turns out that I don't hate beaches: I hate crowds, noisy people, cigarette ends on the ground and some **** charging me for a ****ing parasol and sundecks which are six inches apart.

Back
Top Bottom