petrol stations price discussion (was ‘chaos’)

Caporegime
Yep, maybe he thought that was a card reader. I've used WAY more handheld card readers than I have handheld barcode readers. Like I said, maybe 5 times max have I used a handheld barcode scanner. I don't know I would instantly recognise it any quicker than the 1s or whatever it is he holds it up for?

No it's just clear he's not had to do it himself and the people in charge of this country are so out of touch they look out of place doing 'normal' things.

Associate
Well 5p off a litre was laughable yesterday, what most stations passed on to the customers last night. Then today they have put it up by more than 5p, I will be filling up at some point tomorrow at 188.9 for a litre of diesel.

Soldato
Local Tesco finally had a delivery of 99Ron today after a 3 day drought, so I gratefully filled up. I was down to under a quarter of a tank and seriously considering having to switch the Ecutek mapping to the standard map and put in 95Ron.

Phew!

Man of Honour
you know they scan items for stock taking reasons right? not just to get the price
Sure, but that doesn't change the fact I've bought items without them being obviously scanned in front of me more often than I've bought items and held them up to be scanned by a hand-held scanner. So in my experience, holding a card to a card scanner happens frequently when I go shopping; holding a product to a handheld scanner is ultra-rare.

Soldato
Well 5p off a litre was laughable yesterday, what most stations passed on to the customers last night. Then today they have put it up by more than 5p, I will be filling up at some point tomorrow at 188.9 for a litre of diesel.

Its odd almost nobody has touched their prices except sainsburys - they dropped their prices 5p a litre yesterday on the same day as the budget - colour me impressed. Filled up tonight who knows what it'll cost tomorrow

Man of Honour
Its odd almost nobody has touched their prices except sainsburys - they dropped their prices 5p a litre yesterday on the same day as the budget - colour me impressed. Filled up tonight who knows what it'll cost tomorrow

Where I usually fill up, for diesel, went from 174.9 to 180.9 a bit before this came into effect, dropped to 174.9 then almost immediately increased it to 175.9...

Soldato

That is because oil has been going back up again steadily, it's at $115-20, it had dropped back to under $100 for a little while. In real terms knocking 5+1p off is going to do nothing until the prices either come back down or stabilize for a decent period of time.

Man of Honour
All supermarkets have as far as I know simply because Asda jumped straight in and announced they'd be doing it therefore the others were forced to follow suit whether they liked it or not.

Caporegime
weren't they the only station brand than Sunak went to for PR too ;)

Soldato
per govt website, https://www.gov.uk/guidance/fuel-duty#paying-fuel-duty corroborating r4, implies duty is payable at the point the petrol arrives at the station,
so any reduction, would strictly apply to new fuel when existing is used up,
reduction before that supply is used up would be from the garages profits (sainsbury did have a recent offer for 5p off a litre)

... how does duty on alcohol /pub-beer work ?

Alcohol duty is charged similarly based on the Duty Status of the delivery address.

If it's registered 'Bonded/Under Bond' with HM (most distribution centres or storage facilities) it's not charged at the point of sale to that particular address. It's charged when it's then moved from those premises / on to the final selling point, presuming neither are also registered Under Bond.

For 'Duty Paid' locations it's added at the tax point / point of sale.

Bonded Status helps cash flow, given on average it's £13-£18 per 4.5l (six bottles of wine) having to pay Duty ahead of sales can be quite a hit on a container full of 2-3,000 cases. More than the cost of the stock at the lower end.

Back
Top Bottom