Peugeot have really upped their game!

Soldato
I have a 3008 GT Line as a company car. Had a Golf GT before.
Good points: comfortable, quiet on the motorway, relatively good on fuel, you can tune the radio favourites to both DAB and FM. Gear box is ok.
Bad points: the parking sensor system is nonsense, it’s slow to kick in and the camera angles change at the critical moment. I’m not a good Parker (had my mx5 too long) and this doesn’t help. Having all the controls through a touchscreen is slow and means you take your eyes off the road too long. It’s sluggish in everything but sport mode (I’ve got the 1.6 manual).

I’m reality, it’s completely unremarkable and just a bit boring. It’s not engaging to drive, it’s not fun and doesn’t evoke any emotion other than meh.
However, when you unlock it the Peugeot logo is illuminated on the road which is kinda cool.

I’ll be changing in five months and would want a Golf again.

Caporegime
The 2017 2008? They only changed the grill.

Each to their own. No one dreams of owning a Peugeot. But for a relatively cheap mid sized runabout - it does the job.

200sols says things like this for a reaction. You pick up on it after a while, entering a thread and spewing some crap one liner and vanishing in to the sunset again, I wouldn't waste any time on him.

It's not a bad looking car at all, I agree Peugeot have really upped their game, I remember doing J-turns in a mate's 205GTI and it cemented hot hatches in my memory forever. They went all in on the CC phase and lost a lot of cred for it, the 206cc, 307cc were pushed hard and they were underpowered, heavy, dismal cars to drive.

They seem to be coming round again, although I'd still want a 405 MI16.

Soldato
OP
I have a 3008 GT Line as a company car. Had a Golf GT before.
Good points: comfortable, quiet on the motorway, relatively good on fuel, you can tune the radio favourites to both DAB and FM. Gear box is ok.
Bad points: the parking sensor system is nonsense, it’s slow to kick in and the camera angles change at the critical moment. I’m not a good Parker (had my mx5 too long) and this doesn’t help. Having all the controls through a touchscreen is slow and means you take your eyes off the road too long. It’s sluggish in everything but sport mode (I’ve got the 1.6 manual).

I’m reality, it’s completely unremarkable and just a bit boring. It’s not engaging to drive, it’s not fun and doesn’t evoke any emotion other than meh.
However, when you unlock it the Peugeot logo is illuminated on the road which is kinda cool.

I’ll be changing in five months and would want a Golf again.

Thanks very much for that

I took both the auto and manuals out for a test drive and really didn't like the manual. Auto was good though. This was the 1.2 petrol which surprised me how nippy it was. I'm not expecting Ferrari performance.

Do you think anything can be fixed with software updates? The only negative things I'm reading about is with the infotainment system. Obviously I didn't spend much time with it but it seemed ok.

Just had a good google about on the refreshes and they do look much nicer inside. I have the Audi VC and I havent been in a car since that hasnt felt massively ugly with buttons all over that rarely seem to match that well
I am sure they will all go this way soon. So its not surprise poogeot have copied ;)

I actually prefer the single screen ala TT rather than the other models that have the VC and another screen. Apart from the odd time someone wants to look at the satnav there is no need to have that central. Its more natural as the driver to look down for it. As far as needing a touch screen to control the media, no, just stick it all on the drivers VC, plus it stops retarded passengers messing with the station etc. (they can do it if they really want to from the other controller by the gearstick but as they cannot see that well they tend not to bother)

Soldato
It's just something to go wrong and throw up a huge bill though. How long does someone expect it (basically a mini PC) to last? I suspect it has cooling fans and heatsinks etc which never get dusted out. Then eventually excessive heat kills it.

Even the basic LCD displays dying in old Audis is quite common.

Last edited:
Soldato
I drove my granddads peugot 405 diesel for two years at uni when he was too old to drive it anymore. Thing had 31,000 miles from new, air con and cassette player. Best seats I’ve ever sat in.

That thing was a bloody battle tank - sounded like one too. My girlfriends mum used to get really annoyed with me starting it in the morning before work as it literally woke the entire street - it was SO loud.

Love you grandad (he is up top now).

After that, all French cars I have driven were dreadful. Badly built, cheap and very very nasty. All have broken. All of them. Every single one.

I did however love my Clio Williams until it decided to snap its cambelt on the A34 in Newbury and bend half of its sixteen valves. That was fun. Dad had to tow me home and it took six months and a Haynes manual to replace the head etc on my driveway. Learned a lot - including never ever to buy a French car ever again.

Avoid.

Caporegime
Driving home last night I had to think of this thread when I discovered the reason for the tailback on the road I was on was a 68 plate Peugeot , bonnet up with the AA in attendance....

Used to really like the 405 back in the day, as said extremely comfortable seats and a nice drive.

Just no these days alas.

Soldato
This was the 1.2 petrol which surprised me how nippy it was. I'm not expecting Ferrari performance.

The only people who use the term 'nippy' are 18yr old girls describing their new fiat 500, or pensioners discussing the latest iteration of the Honds Jazz.

As a comparison it's slower than my epic first car; a metallic teal 1992 Nissan Sunny SR.

Man of Honour
I'm looking at getting a 308sw soon, a lovely looking car inside and out
My wife has one:

+Humungous boot, bigger than most cars of any class but particularly large for a car of this overall size (bigger than Octavia Estate, Civic Tourer, Leon ST etc)
+Good levels of kit for the price bracket (front/back sensors, reversing camera, 10" touchscreen, Nav, LED lights etc)
+I think it looks pretty smart in general
+Overall good value as a second-hand buy, low residuals mean you can pick up new models pretty cheap at a point where the depreciation curve will be closer to 'normal' cars. I would be wary of getting a brand new one unless if was a particularly good discount (over 25%).

-Lacks a performance engine, the best petrol you can get is 1.2 130hp (which is actually pretty decent for what it is, but clearly not going to compete with what you can get in other cars)
-Touchscreen can be a bit slow at times especially inputting to sat nav. Nearly all reviews moan about the climate control being on the touchscreen rather than a physical dial, but that bothers me less, given it gets touched maybe a couple of times a month...
-Higher trim levels come with bigger alloys, which may look marginally better but increases running costs
-Used to have creaking noise when pulling off (only really noticeable from outside), this is a known issue and was fairly easily fixed under warranty but makes you wonder about what other issues it might bring up.

Soldato
I hate it when they put the heating/AC controls on the touch screen. Such a dumb idea.

It breaks and you can't adjust the heating/AC unless you pay a dealer £1000+ for a new OEM head unit, no way to use aftermarket. It's awkward to use and I think it's actually illegal to use any touch screens while driving, so you should pull over to adjust the temperature lol

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
If your seen messing with the touch screen while driving you can be fined the same as if your using a phone.

I was not under the impression that this was the case, can you cite your source for this please as it is concerning....(and also flies in the face of every touch screen car, which are common)

Back
Top Bottom