Phal's house of pics

Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
These shots were taken from the National Heritage Jersey Wetland Centre on the west coast of the island. It's a fairly new place (opened in 2014) and is homed in a converted WW2 bunker. Part of it has been set up to be an education centre for kids but there's also a bunch of 'hide style' windows that can be opened.

http://www.nationaltrust.je/place/the-national-trust-for-jersey-wetland-centre/

I saw the Juvenile Moorhen there that I've got posted in my other thread but I was definitely hoping to see more than that when I went. When I was doing a little research online about this place, I found a picture of a Marsh Harrier on these forums which had been taken there. I was glad to see one on my visit :D I was only there 2-3 hours at the most and the weather wasn't great but the Harrier shots were ok since he wasn't down in the shadows.

1-

Marsh Harrier 4 by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

2-

Marsh Harrier 6 by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

3-

Marsh Harrier 1 by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

4-

Marsh Harrier 7 by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

After hearing a few other people talk about the Snipes they could see, I started looking around for them. It took me a while even though they were just sitting there sleeping in front of the hide! I guess that says a lot about their camouflage and explains why they didn't move when the Harrier passed overhead :)

I actually saw a few moving about but most were sleeping or preening themselves.

5-

Camouflaged Snipes by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

6-

Energetic Snipe by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Soldato
OP
On my last two visits to RSPB Pulborough Brooks I had Pheasants wandering around the hides so I took some shots!

1- Most of the shots were of the Pheasants in the fields but I got a couple when they were under the cover of the wooded area

Hidden Pheasant by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

2- Another one under the trees

Upright Pheasant by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

3- Sometimes they pull silly faces

WTF IS WHAT ON YOUR FOOT Pheasant by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

4- Sometimes they just seem to pose

Group Shot Pheasant by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

5- And sometimes they just outright pose

Prancing Pheasant by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

6- This one gave me the classic 'Look back over your shoulder' pose

Looking Back Pheasant by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

7- This one doesn't come with a witty intro

Wooded Area Pheasant by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Soldato
OP
Got out yesterday for the first time in a while and wandered around Shoreham Airport which turns out is the UK's oldest Airport!

Just after sunset with some low mist/fog developing over the airfield

Slow Sunset by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

There are helicopter rides available there too and this guy was just coming in to land after a quick trip

Parking by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Another trip departure at around sunset with the original airport building in the background

Sunset Hovering 3 by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

The helicopters tend to fly out to somewhere near the centre of the airfield before getting any real altitude. Here you can see the Brighton and Hove Albion practise facility

Sunset Hovering 2 by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Must have been a nice flight :)

Sunset Hovering by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Soldato
OP
So I got some fun shots of Buzzards last weekend after slacking off for a while and not getting out and about. I was tracking the Buzzard and waiting for it to get a bit closer for a decent shot. I thought it might get near enough for something good... I started to get stuff like this

Guess I've been spotted! by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Not long after that, I saw the Buzzard duck and weave whilst something buzzed by. It was a Peregrine but it was a bit too erratic to track properly so I just started tracking the Buzzard. I'd wait till I saw the Buzzard start to react and just start shooting with my 7d2.

I only got 3 goes at this before they separated :( This shot looked promising at first but wasn't as sharp as I would have liked

Battle of the pointy toes by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

The follow up shot was better as far as sharpness goes but obviously the shot isn't as good

Pointy toe battle aftermath 1 by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Sometime later, I saw the Buzzard (not sure if its the same lol) which was hovering around the same area and seemed to be carrying something. You can make out that it's half eaten heh.

Load Carrying by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

I guess it was disturbed whilst having dinner and decided to take-away instead! A Crow turned up not long after trying to hassle the Buzzard into dropping the half eaten meal

Swooping From Above by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

The shots aren't awesome quality since I've had to crop a lot and I was shooting up into the sun a bit but they look kinda fun when processed like this to accentuate the silhouette factor (few more on Flickr).

Almost Pickpocketed by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom