Phal's house of pics

Soldato
OP
This one settled down often but always in a bad place! Whenever it would settle anywhere convenient it would just fly away when I got close. Followed it for got knows how long across about 20-30 different spots lol :(

Light was getting a bit low so I was spamming shots at 1/250th in the hope of getting sharp ones with the natural light and here's the best of the bunch

Annoying Butterfly 1 by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

2 - Slightly closer shot at same angle as #1

Annoying Butterfly 2 by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

3 - Probably the best angle I got but I didn't get very close

Annoying Butterfly 3 by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

4 - Crappy angle

Annoying Butterfly 4 by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

5 - A stack of a few shots which lined up nicely and had different bits in focus

Annoying Butterfly 5 by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Soldato
OP
More after work activities from this week :) Who need's gyms?!

Overhang by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

This guy looked a little beat up

Shot Down by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Shots like this might as well be guesswork when the wind is blowing them about on the end of a stalk of grassy stuff but sometimes they turn out alright :)

Peering Over by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Resting by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Upright Lady by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

SideLady by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Blue And Yellow by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Soldato
OP
My last post was work from Wednesday night this week (10-06-2015) so this is from Thursday night (11-06-2015) and overall it's a little better (imo)

1 - Peering Over The Edge

Peering Over The Edge by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

2 - Hanging On

Hanging On by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

3 - Thing On A Thing

Thing On A Thing by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

4 - in The Desert

in The Desert by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

5 - Upsidered Admiral

Upsidered Admiral by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

6 - Read Admiral

Read Admiral by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

7 - Re-read Admiral

Re-read Admiral by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Soldato
OP
Never seen any snakes in the UK until this year for some reason... Now I've seen a few :)

I'd seen one Adder sunbathing in the morning a few times after being shown a spot by a local dog walker but I never managed to get a good shot of it.

Thursday evening I was strolling about looking for Flutterbies and then noticed two Adders a few meters from me. Immediately I was a bit too close to the first one so it just hid pretty much straight away. This is the second one and I was looking for it's head.

Peering In by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

I had to peer in at different angles looking for it's head and I think we saw each other at the same time which was kind of funny. The head moved to look at me as soon as I got the right angle and I could see it was about to go hide. I lined up the lens to take shots of a gap it looked like it would go through and got this. Sadly the focus is not perfect but this is about as good as I've managed so far :)

Taken @ 560mm with a 25mm tube fitted to get a bit closer

Just A Glimpse by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Soldato
OP
Some absolutely brilliant work in this thread (but I guess you already know that, hah! :p ).

I would love to get into shooting wildlife. What system are you using?

Thanks, I know that I've gotten better over the few years I've been at it but it always good to hear a compliment. That being said, I know there's no shortage of people out there producing equal or better shots so there's no need to get too proud just yet hehe.

I use a Canon 7dmk2 now and it's pretty much always bolted on my EF 200-400mm F4L lens. Failing that I've got a 100mm macro lens, a Sigma 18-35mm, an EF-S 10-22mm and a little EF-S 24mm STM pancake lens that occasionally gets an outing.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
Album with a few more pics:https://www.flickr.com/photos/phal44/albums/72157657613566215

Pretty sad day overall. The Hunter was just getting going after flying in to the area and I got a few shots from the initial lowish pass

Low pass just before the loop by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Low pass just before the loop by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

And then from a few year's experience there, I've learnt that most of the long distance pics when the plane is over the airport itself suck due to distance/heat haze etc so I'd stopped tracking the plane. Then I noticed he seemed to getting pretty low after his long high loop so I wanted to start tracking again and before I knew it I was looking at this through the lens

Hawker Hunter Crash by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

It seemed like a long time but in reality, it wasn't that long before the nearby Fire Brigade guys turned up

Fire Fighter at the scene by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

The first Air Ambulance did a pass over first and then landed nearby. Another arrived not long after and a Coastguard Rescue helo also appeared near the end

First Air Ambulance passing over the scene by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

The aftermath of the jet hitting the westbound lanes of the a27 doesn't look great event from a mile or two away.

Aftermath 2 by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Aftermath by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Soldato
OP
I went to Arundel Castle yesterday and since you can't photograph inside the castle, I made the most of the gardens in the nice weather :) I had my 100mm macro in the bag but I decided to stick with the 18-35mm. It works quite nicely for flowers as long as you don't want to get too close.

Bright Flower by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Not entirely sure this works all that well but I like it nonetheless
Flower Satellite Dish by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Flower in the corner by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Flowers by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Not quite a closer up but it has flowers in it ;) Arundel Cathedral from a location in the gardens.
Arundel Cathedral and garden by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

It's a Fly! by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Soldato
OP
I'm assuming this is a Hornet (I'm too lazy to confirm) because it was large and angry.

I got a bunch of other shots of a few of them chewing up the bark on the small branches of this tree. Not sure if they're eating it or just collecting material for a nest?

On a few occasions it reared up and faced me when I got close and looked at it. Not sure if it recognises that the face of something is close or whether it just acts like that towards anything nearby but it definitely seemed worse when I showed my face. When I was behind the camera it would often just ignore me but then I'd drop the camera down a bit and I'd get this reaction. I did it a few times for shots but after that I figured I'd stop pushing my luck lol.

There's more to process but this one stands out (imo)

Angry by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom