• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Phenom II X6

Soldato
theres loads of people who dont though most only spend around 700 on a base unit.

1600 every 6 years would be better turned into 800 every 3 years ;)

to some 100 quid does matter but i guess it depends on how much of your comp your upgrading a lot of us buy a really nice expensive case to keep for a very long time then only really upgrade the mobo+cpu+ram+gfx card every other year and new hdd/cd/monitor as needed

I have to agree with the distribution of cash over time, been too long since I upgraded! I'm also doing just what you say, buying an 800D which should last me some time I hope :) Subject to reviews I'm leaning more towards the i7 just for longevity as it will have more headroom I think before the CPU becomes a bottleneck. If Bulldozer had been compatible with AM3 I would be more inclined to stay loyal to AMD.

Soldato
I have to agree with the distribution of cash over time, been too long since I upgraded! I'm also doing just what you say, buying an 800D which should last me some time I hope :) Subject to reviews I'm leaning more towards the i7 just for longevity as it will have more headroom I think before the CPU becomes a bottleneck. If Bulldozer had been compatible with AM3 I would be more inclined to stay loyal to AMD.

AFAIK, Bulldozer is meant to use socket AM3 and even socket 1366 is EOL next year too.

Soldato
All roadmaps I have seen so far show Bulldozer as being slated for AM3.
With AMD's excellent track record of looking after existing customer (i.e. all AM3 stuff currently works fine on AM2+ boards) I'm assuming they will keep up they're tradition.

Well here's hoping anyhow!

HeX

HeX

Soldato
All roadmaps I have seen so far show Bulldozer as being slated for AM3.
With AMD's excellent track record of looking after existing customer (i.e. all AM3 stuff currently works fine on AM2+ boards) I'm assuming they will keep up they're tradition.

Well here's hoping anyhow!

Yup, there might be an AM3+ (more than likely), but everything i've read says that Bulldozer will be compatible with AM3.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure Bulldozer isn't going to work on AM2+ boards because they are going for just a DDR3 memory controller in Bulldozer... Just thought I should point this out in case anyone was wondering

Soldato
I think this news is swaying me towards AMD once again as the current i7 platform for sure is going to be eol next year whereas AM3 might have more life left in it....

Associate
I think this news is swaying me towards AMD once again as the current i7 platform for sure is going to be eol next year whereas AM3 might have more life left in it....

Yeah, AM3 looks very, very attractive at the moment. However, that said if I wanted to go Bulldozer I would want an AM3+ socket to go with it :|

Soldato
Yeah, AM3 looks very, very attractive at the moment. However, that said if I wanted to go Bulldozer I would want an AM3+ socket to go with it :|

Yes looks like whatever I go for now in 12 months it won't be upgradeable, at least as far as cpu's are concerned.

Associate
Well a competitor has said they will have a 6 core CPU available on tuesday for £169.99 delivered, probably the slowest Phenom II x6, but still not bad for 6 core!

Wonder what OCUK can do pricewise!

Soldato
Given the price, I'm now backing out of this.
A 1055t for 169?
Get real AMD.

2.8ghz 6 core CPU @ £169 would be asking way too much?
What price would you deem reasonable? They aren't a charity. :confused:

I can't see me leaving the 955 for a good while yet. Still think it offers great performance, even for the £200 paid way back. :)

Back
Top Bottom