• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

phenom x4 970t blck edtition

Associate
Yeh a 1055T would be a better bet espacially if you could get the 95W version. The only advantage with unlocking this x4 to x6 is that it will have a higher multi so might achieve a higher overclock on a board where the fsb wont clock very high & I agree that you cant be looking for a high 24/7 clock on a cheap board with 4+1 phase low quality vrms thats just asking for trouble.

Also the unlocked salvaged x6 will probably require more volts to overclock that a standard x6 so you will run into either a voltage or heat limit much quicker. That 4.3 in the ebay screen shot will just be from a suicide validation probably with one of the best cpus they had out of 10+ that they tested just to try & get more interest & more sales.

Last edited:
Associate
Off topic but

The OP doesn't like being criticised I know but I wish he would learn to spell/type. For example,

orderd
potentail
evan
compund
piont
exepeerence
belive
warrenty
meen
avalable
anywere
critisise

and there are a lot more.... would make this thread a lot easier to read

Associate
OP
haha, ok im sorry for the spelling, but really who are you? the grammar police?
anyway im dyslexic.
well my cpu has been posted, would anyone suggest a board that would unlock withough crashing to much more than £70? and i guess this could be seen as an exeperent, i guess ill just have to wait and find out

Associate
Might unlock but MSI boards (even 140w+ rated) are known for DYING WITH FIRE when overclocking X6. Gigabyte or Asus generally more robust. 4+1 phase just isn't cut out for it DRMOS or not.

I would not be running an unlocked X4 - X6 on an MSI board in the long term.

Behold: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1524927

4+1 Phase isn't the problem. It's just MSI overrates the components they use on their boards.

There are various 4+1 Phase Biostar, ASUS, and Gigabyte boards that use appropriately specced components and lower RDS (on) MOSFETs that are fine with overclocking an X6.

Associate
OP
need a board suggestion pleese.
If you get anoyed with me for going my own way without asking do you mind helping???

Soldato
the 870 fusion looks like my kinda board, + i know someone who would sell one for 50+p&p

any recemendations?

dont know MSI well, but looking on their sites at the specs, it isnt exactly rick in features but does have the basics, SATAIII and a couple of USB 3.0 ports. what gfx card are you planning on adding? sorry if this has been mentioned before

Associate
OP
either a ati 5770 or a 6850? im not quite sure yet tbh, i still need to sell my xbox 360 to raise some £££
my b days soon, it all depends on what i can afford, but im shying away from nvidia for now

Soldato
gunna say, the fuzion is XFire only, so i would stick AMD just incase you want to add a second card.
like i said, dont know anything about MSI as its been years since i used them, we only deal in biostar, gigabyte and ASRock, and out of them the biostar and ASRock are the best value for money but the gigabytes are generally better build quality.
just make sure you invest in a decent mobo, case and psu as these will be the basis of a great pc.

Associate
OP
case is a old school akasa a62, i did some work on it today, and put in a lian li front hotswap bay to fit 2 hdd's
my psu is a 850w icute, although the bad branding its a +80 psu and didnt kill my cpu's after i spilt thermal compund onta the lga 771 pins and shorted the socket.
the msi fuision 870a ( not the power edition) supports hydra gpu so therfore i can run nvidia and ati side by side in a xsli setup thingy. but looks like a good board to me.
if anyone can top that for less than £60 posted ill be happy, but otherwise come tommorow night i will buy it

Soldato
not sure where you got your info from, but acording to MSI even the basic edition (not power edition) is XFire only.
i think what you might of miss understood is it will probably run an AMD card with Nvidia for physx, which 99% of mobos will anyway.

Associate
OP
and yes, or i did, but im not going to gaina :) it was a very big mistake. thats why i no longer have my 8 core xeon gaiming build, i sold the cpus to build this.
i think next im going for ic diam paste, its better than silver and not conducticve

Soldato
and yes, or i did, but im not going to gaina :) it was a very big mistake. thats why i no longer have my 8 core xeon gaiming build, i sold the cpus to build this.
i think next im going for ic diam paste, its better than silver and not conducticve

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=232141

Just use MX-2 or Shin-Etsu X23-7783D if you can find it at a UK watercooling store.

EDIT: The name of the review site that you are trying to link to is censored because they fell out with OcUK many, many years ago.

Back
Top Bottom