Phrases you can't stand...

Soldato
I think it's a London thing. I said can I get "insert haircut style" in my home town and the guy was aghast. I then realised how that isn't how we talk in the civilised world (anywhere outside of the m25).

He was probably more aghast by someone saying "Can I get a bowl cut" as its not a regular request ;)

Soldato
Anyone and everyone one that starts a post, story or anything else with 'so'

People saying things like "Can I get a coffee", If was working there I'd say go on then whilst I serve someone else.

People saying something or someone has been 'canceled' when it was never booked, scheduled or otherwise organised.

'Just saying' - well idiot, the fact that you've said already implied you are 'just saying.'

'Best life', Living my 'best life' no you aren't you are just living your life as it is. Not 'best life', 'worst life' 'gay life' etc..

Soldato
Selfie. It's just a self portrait.

"Do/done me a solid" - sounds like you asking for someone to take a dump for you. I can imagine some parents. "oh there's a good boy Pete you've done a solid."

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Selfie. It's just a self portrait.

"Do/done me a solid" - sounds like you asking for someone to take a dump for you. I can imagine some parents. "oh there's a good boy Pete you've done a solid."

I read a quote from an American Dialect Society discussion that said that it could be a truncation of “do me a solid service”, but I think that we’re all aware that there are factions in U.K. that will rubbish anything perceived as American, whether the saying makes sense or not.

Soldato
"Side Hustle"

I just heard a programme on Radio 4 where people discussed their "side hustles". It turned out they were making cakes at home, and selling them.

Disappointing. I'd assumed they were running some sort of three card monty game or a numbers racket, in addition to their usual demanding money with menaces.

Caporegime
"oh my days"
"content"

People saying things like "Can I get a coffee", If was working there I'd say go on then whilst I serve someone else.

I always say "Hi, Can I have a Coffee please" then end with "cheers"
the response is usually "of course you can" which seems kinda borderline sarcasm.

I often wonder if it's more annoying than someone coming in with just a quick "coffee please" or if people appreciate someone being polite.

cheers probably seems like a weird thing to say though to most people.. especially when I don't live in notts any more.

no other city really uses "cheers" as a thanks, it's more of a pub thing?

Back
Top Bottom