[PIC_THREAD] Macro

Soldato
I ordered a small bracket off Amazon for £6, should do the job, also ordered a diffuser for £6 and a bouncer.

I liked my current DIY bouncer, but the new one has a flexible cloth, so I can help direct the light a bit easier.

Caporegime
There are so many options. It was to be my next purchase but the sigma 35mm 1.4 got in there

And now it's winter..may just wait till next year. I was tempted by the Mt 24ex or whatever it's code is. The canon dual macro flash and a couple of diffusers

I'm not too bothered by the look of custom but I also wouldn't mind paying for something tidy.

Anyone have the canon mt 24ex?

Soldato
Found this little one on our rockery :D

17056510601_792b4d25ca_b.jpg

Kei

Kei

Soldato
Since moving from canon to nikon, I only have a 55mm f2.8 micro nikkor to use. Works brilliantly well, but the distance from the end of the lens to the subject is super short. I was lucky enough to have a very cooperative hoverfly for these two.
KMW_3744 by --Kei--, on Flickr

KMW_3741 by --Kei--, on Flickr

Since I have a mamiya 645 extension tube and several lenses, I've dodged having to buy another macro for now as I can use the 150mm f2.8 with the tube to get closer than the normal 1.5m limit. (~55-60cm I reckon) The larger image circle means that the quality loss in the corners is cropped out. (similar to an FX lens on a DX camera but the crop factor is larger) I also have a 2x TC for it too which doubles the effective magnification, though the drop in quality even with the huge image circle is quite noticeable.

Here are a few taken with the 150 f2.8 A.
Grape hyacinth by --Kei--, on Flickr

Tulip by --Kei--, on Flickr

I gave it a go with the 80 f1.9 N but didn't find this combo quite as good. Results were still sharp enough though.
Moth by --Kei--, on Flickr

Last edited:

Kei

Kei

Soldato
^Well captured, very sharp. Getting on with the 105 micro?

Since the mamiya 80mm f1.9 + extension tube seems to produce rather busy bokeh, I thought I'd dig out it's slower f2.8 sibling as it is supposed to be better. Results are very good and certainly on par with what i used to get from my old tamron 90 f2.8. I wish mamiya had used more aperture blades though as I've never been a fan of hexagonal highlights. Judging by these results, I don't think a longer dedicated macro is going to be an urgent requirement.

Woodlouse by --Kei--, on Flickr

Hoverfly by --Kei--, on Flickr

Cherry Blossom by --Kei--, on Flickr

Teardrop by --Kei--, on Flickr

Chive by --Kei--, on Flickr

Soldato
Thanks:) (tad annoyed with the leaf in the bottom right, but apart from that)

Yeah, getting used to it a bit more now - handheld shots like above I'm still practicing but getting there

Nice captures btw :)

smr

smr

Soldato
Bought my Sigma 105mm and a YN-14EX Ring Flash before Christmas, just waiting on delivery of a DCR-250 tomorrow. Can't wait to get properly started with Macro Photography.

Back
Top Bottom