[PIC_THREAD] Wildlife, Animals, Birds, Zoo

And

And

Associate
Maybe. They tend not to be very tolerant even of their siblings once moved on from the burrow so it's nice when you get them like that.

Soldato
Soldato
Recently out with my new Sony FE 100-400mm GM.

I love this lens.

I did like the output on my A7Rii more than the a6300, but think it was down to me perhaps not choosing best settings.

Some samples from A7Rii

Dragonfly by chris_rabe, on Flickr

Duck by chris_rabe, on Flickr

Lapwing by chris_rabe, on Flickr

Cabbage white butterfly by chris_rabe, on Flickr

London Wetland Centre by chris_rabe, on Flickr

Ducks by chris_rabe, on Flickr

Associate
Excellent dragonflies Chris.

I find getting focus using d7100 difficult for dragonflies in flight.
I end up using manual to get close then use auto focus but it's very hit and miss with such a small subject.

How do you find it with your Sony?

Soldato
Excellent dragonflies Chris.

I find getting focus using d7100 difficult for dragonflies in flight.
I end up using manual to get close then use auto focus but it's very hit and miss with such a small subject.

How do you find it with your Sony?

Thanks. That's just a few of many shots I got of them.

To be honest, I was amazed how easily I managed to photograph them. Previously when I was at the Wetland Centre with adapted Sigma 150-600mm, I could barely manage to shoot a dragonfly sitting on grass.

With the 100-400mm, at first I was trying to follow them, but that proved a fools errand. Not impossible, but hard. Then I just watched them a bit, and saw they seem to have territories, and favourite spots, so focused the lens on something closer, had it pointed generally at one of those areas, and when it came time to take the shot, the 100-400mm locked on incredibly quickly.

It's a brilliantly fast combination in my opinion.

I had less luck on the day with the a6300, but had another test on small subjects yesterday in the back garden, and think it was mostly down to my focus settings.

Still, I much preferred the output from the A7Rii. Eventually, I will look to replace the a6300 with either an A7iii or another A7Rii - will always have two bodies.

Below some shots from the a6300 with the 100-400mm

Swan by chris_rabe, on Flickr

A6300731 by chris_rabe, on Flickr

Grey Heron by chris_rabe, on Flickr

Sprint by chris_rabe, on Flickr

A6300835 by chris_rabe, on Flickr

Hover fly by chris_rabe, on Flickr

Bee by chris_rabe, on Flickr

Caporegime
Been a hectic year and no chance for a personal photography session since Christmas. Took some vacation last week to have time with my camera, of course didn't spot anything much. Luckily I left the camera in my car and a few days later I spotted this guy when running, was still there 10 miles later.

37028674175_15305c4cff_b.jpg

Soldato
I'm going to Richmond on Friday. From what I've heard it's slightly more advanced there than Bushy, more females are in season so there is more competition.

Soldato
Sounds good, I'll have to pic your brains afterwards as it's been so long since I've been there I've forgotten where to go :o

I'm far more familiar with Bushy Park having lived in the area for over 40 years! After my Friday excursion, weather permitting, I'll be able to give you a clearer picture of Richmond Park.
Will be there on Tuesday.
Should be lively!

Soldato
I keep thinking that I should sell this combination and just use the Olympus m4/3 stuff and then I see this:

37397139110_bd5c22c2da_b.jpg

Female Kestrel, Bushy Park.

Female Kestrel, Bushy Park.

37655729051_b24130b4f6_h.jpg

37622735412_9000b5422e_h.jpg

I didn't think I'd got this one!

Back
Top Bottom