Picked up a LG OLED55B6V

Soldato
Contemplating getting this.. not sure IF I should just hold onto 1080p samsung for one more year and actually buy some 4k-able gear first.

Soldato
Using same 1 metre amazon basic cable direct to HDMI 1, I got no flicker with everything on automatic settings in video options and HDCP back to automatic via safe mode mode. SUCESSS

That took out the cable as the problem, I then tried back to how I was using it through the soundbar, got flicker!

I then switched out the amazon 2m cable from soundbar to TV and used an older high speed cable I had and switched to HDMI port 4 instead. SUCCESS.

Currently from what I have tested I have not got flicker on the XMB or on the Horizon Zero Dawn home menu screen while on HDR.

Not completely confident yet but its looking like it was the Amazon Basic 2 metre cable from soundbar to TV all along, not convinced its any fault on the TV ports.

On a different note with ps4 set to hdmi black level auto, what do you use for HDR and SD in game mode. do you use HIGH for SD and low for HDR?

My black level is set to low for both.....

Soldato
I tried Low on BF1 and it made dark areas even darker.

So if you use Low for both do you have the PS4 pro RGB level set at Automatic or limited, just to confirm?

Thank's

Everything on Pro is set to auto.

My previous b6V for whatever reason was nowhere near as good with shadow detail compared to my new one. I moaned about the shadow detail loss a fair bit even after lots of tweaking. This new one I have no complaints at all it's much better. No idea why but even my Wife noticed it and she has little interest in it all.....

Soldato
Everything on Pro is set to auto.

My previous b6V for whatever reason was nowhere near as good with shadow detail compared to my new one. I moaned about the shadow detail loss a fair bit even after lots of tweaking. This new one I have no complaints at all it's much better. No idea why but even my Wife noticed it and she has little interest in it all.....

Cheer's, I think I will keep it on high for SD and low for HDR, not tested HDR yet but it looks good on high with SD games.

Luckily normal game mode and HDR game mode are separate so can save separate settings.

Soldato

happened to listen to a 2017 oled changes article earlier which discussed shadow rendering at 2' , maybe it had needed gamma adjustment ...... with a pinch of salt

Soldato
I don't think there is much in it personally, but I've not watched enough yet and it's only been from Netflix from what I've watched.

What dolby vision picture mode do you lot using?

Im currently on dolby vision dark mode.

Oh yeah and the only downside to having a 4k TV is that SD free view channels look rubbish, I just can't watch them anymore and I'm limited to only freeview and Netflix. Wish we had more HD free view channels.

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought the SD channels looked ok to me...... :)

Dolby Vision seems better with darker details and a bit more variation in contrast but I have not really viewed much. Been trying to set up a YSP-2700 soundbar but keep getting distracted.....

Soldato
I thought the SD channels looked ok to me...... :)

Dolby Vision seems better with darker details and a bit more variation in contrast but I have not really viewed much. Been trying to set up a YSP-2700 soundbar but keep getting distracted.....

Same soundbar as me ;)

The SD channels are ok, it's just when youve been watching so much HD and 4k it looks bad going back.

Soldato
Would you say it's a worthy upgrade over the KS7000?

It's an upgrade but it's not £600 odd worth of upgrade. I was lucky and got a good deal having my KS refunded.

The KS is a great TV and if you have a good one I would stick with it at least for this year until the newer HDMi 2.1 sets come along....

Associate
OP
It's an upgrade but it's not £600 odd worth of upgrade. I was lucky and got a good deal having my KS refunded.

The KS is a great TV and if you have a good one I would stick with it at least for this year until the newer HDMi 2.1 sets come along....

I've got the B6V :) I looked at the KS7000 at the time and did wonder if the OLED was worth the extra. At the time, I think the KS7000 was £1K and we paid £2K for the OLED. Extremely happy with our OLED but I think they constitute poor value for money. But hey, so does a Lamborghini!

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Watched a couple of things on netflix last night and noticed poor framerates in panning scenes. Almost like it was less than 24fps.

Haven't noticed this before now and it happened on a couple of shows. All motion stuff is turned off. Anyone experienced this?

Soldato
Use the motion controls to set it up so it's smooth. I have mine on for normal tv watching and movies. Playing 24fps content on a 60Hz screen will always look crappy without some form of motion control.

Soldato
I've got the B6V :) I looked at the KS7000 at the time and did wonder if the OLED was worth the extra. At the time, I think the KS7000 was £1K and we paid £2K for the OLED. Extremely happy with our OLED but I think they constitute poor value for money. But hey, so does a Lamborghini!

Ah fair enough I was lucky and got my full £1300 back I paid for the KS 7 months ago. So it only cost me £200 to swap to the B6. I would not have paid £1k extra for one which I why I returned the first. It's better in a lot of respects but still lacking in others. HDR was more impressive on the KS especially in games like Horizon 2 but the depth of colours is better in n the B6....

Tbh next year if they can get the OLEDS up over 1k nits without major issue with variable refresh is definitely going to be the time to buy. If they are not stupid money that is......

Back
Top Bottom