Picked up my new car this weekend........955hp V10 Audi RS6! (HP figure updated 08/10/22)

Soldato
OP
This is the most beautiful dichotomy in ownership I think I've ever seen.

The most ridiculous thing is that despite owning the C1 for less than a day I already adore it as much as the RS6 that I've had for 7 years :D

Even seeing the literal 1in wide exhaust makes me giggle every time I get in the car. However, as a negative, I now should be getting 60-ish mpg which means around 2 months between fill-ups so I fear my local petrol station will miss my current weekly fill-ups and start posting "missing" posters of me everywhere :(

Man of Honour
I now should be getting 60-ish mpg which means around 2 months between fill-ups

Given how small the fuel tank is this must mean your drive only 200 miles per month.

I think I'd rather just have a non modified RS6 and not have to drive that given how trivial fuel costs will be for 200 miles a month :D

Soldato
OP
Given how small the fuel tank is this must mean your drive only 200 miles per month.

The commute is about 5-ish total miles a day, 5 days a week so yeap, 200 miles is about right.

I think I'd rather just have a non modified RS6 and not have to drive that given how trivial fuel costs will be for 200 miles a month :D

It's not the fuel costs or the additional mileage, it's 2.5 mile drive each way meaning the car barely warms up before being shutdown again which add to extra wear and tear and I'd rather just use a shed to do that :D Plus it's a fun little car which also helps remind me how to drive "better" as it doesn't have the power to get back up to speed if you unnecessarily scrub off speed through poor driving skills etc.

Soldato
OP
Im sure with the new bits Ian could make 1000 now. :p

Well well well, looks like Acme finally gets his way, possibly :D

The drivers side turbo has started dumping oil into the intake (it is nearly 7 years old) and TTE, who made it, don't do the old 850+hp version anymore so the only version they do is the 1000+hp ones which hit 1050-1070hp on average.

Damn :D

Caporegime
Well well well, looks like Acme finally gets his way, possibly :D

The drivers side turbo has started dumping oil into the intake (it is nearly 7 years old) and TTE, who made it, don't do the old 850+hp version anymore so the only version they do is the 1000+hp ones which hit 1050-1070hp on average.

Damn :D
*Evil cackling*

Soldato
OP
So......................an update :)

My plan, now I'm back in the UK permanently, was to sell the car this summer just gone (2022) to add to my house deposit so, before in preparation for getting it sold I wanted a few niggles sorted, mainly a smokey engine on start and at full throttle and an odd fuel issue which came and went at random, so I dropped of the car at MRC in April for some pre-sales TLC ..........................6 months later it's fixed and slightly faster than before :D

So what happened, well lets break it down -

Fuel - Occasionally at full throttle it would feel like car had hit a fuel cut (or starvation) but this only started after the new "in-tank" Low Pressure Fuel Pump was replaced with an uprated one so I wondered if I had a sticky injector dumping fuel (and pressure) causing the issue so I had MRC clean and test every injector with no issues found, so they checked further and managed to replicate the fault and it was the one of the engine bay High Pressure Fuel Pumps effectively collapsing (they word they used) under load so we fitted two new HPFP's which solved that. However during mapping the readings from the lambdas were "erratic" so we replaced all 4 lambda's.

Smokey engine - Juuuuuust a simple one way breather is probably failed, or so I thought. After replacing all 5 in the system (at my request) without solving it, MRC then suggested that the Oil separator could do with being replaced as well which didn't cure it sadly. Then they found that the right hand Intercooler was filling with lots of oil, causing the original smokey engine issue. They then traced the leak back to the RH Turbo which by now was 7 years old so understandable. Sadly that meant that the engine and gearbox were dropped and both turbos were sent back to TTE in Germany for a rebuild (they can rebuild old ones I found out, they just don't sell them so no need for £4k on new 1000hp ones) which seems to have solved that part of the smokey engine issue.

Smokey engine Pt2 - For the 1st 2-3 seconds after start the left bank burnt a tiny amount of oil, showing up as a blue puff of smoke. MRC found that some of the valve stems were leaking so we replaced all 40 of them, 4 per cylinder.

Rear Wiper - These are notorious for corroding and failing as the washer fluid runs through the centre of the spindle and mine had failed whilst at MRC so we replaced that.

Alarm Module - The physical siren unit has a battery inside and mine had corroded causing a fault to be detected in VCDS so we replaced the whole siren unit.

Servicing- As this was "pre-sale" I had a major service done, all fluids and filters (Engine, Gearbox and Diffs), 10 spark plugs, various other filters, seals, gaskets etc replaced.

Re-Map - As part of the rebuild MRC re-mapped the car again now they had a whole new fuel system and new turbos to play with and the car made 955hp (970ps) and 885lbs/ft (1200nm).

QY7wqHk.jpg

So whats next - To be blunt it's time to sell the car!

I've honestly really enjoyed my time with the RS6 but buying a house has now become my absolute priority and the car is just a huge chunk of a deposit sat there being unused for 5 days a week. Plus I now have space for two cars (one for Mon-Fri commuting and one for weekend fun) so I don't have to stick to owning just one car to do both (which the RS6 was great for) so the plan is sell up, buy a house and at some point afterwards consider getting something light and fun for the weekends (say <1000kg and 200-250hp) depending on how screwed I get buying a house with the current interest rate faff!

Soldato
OP
Yes and No.

They won't add anything to the price as they're replacing "broken" bits, rather than adding something different to increase the value, but without replacing them the car had problems which would've driven the price right down. In the end, as mentioned before, you'll never get your money back from a car like this until they hit "retro" status or similar.

Soldato
OP
It's at 116k but thats with a <50k engine, after the original block was replaced back in '18 with a low mileage one and the internals were replaced.

Caporegime
I’m assuming the outlay of getting it prepped for sale was less than what you’d have lost if you’d left it and sold as was? It’s just reading what you had done I can’t help thinking that must have been a significant bill in itself.

Regardless, thanks for a fascinating thread I’ve enjoyed and marvelled at your journey with it, look forward to whatever comes next! :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Well it's nice to see people looking after their cars and not letting anything go so full respect. That work earlier in year must've cost a bit BUT YOU KNOW that it's in A1 nick now. So, when's it go for sale, any hints on how much?

Soldato
OP
Bill was just over £8k, 60% of which was the Turbo work (engine out, turbos refurbed in Germany, engine back in) with the two HPFP's (£1k) and then labour being the biggest other costs.

I'll be putting it up for £35k which is top end C6 RS6 price or bottom end C7 RS6 price.

Soldato
OP
I've no idea of the actual cost but, not including the initial £25k purchase price, I'd say somewhere between £60-75k - so worst case call it upto £100k total inc buying the car since mid '15 or just over 7 years ago.

If I had to do everything again, knowing what I know now, I would absolutely stop at 740hp (aka Stage 2) as it only costs about £2.5k and is reliable as anything and the car would still be worth £25k now and if I decided I wanted a 900+hp version of the car, I'd just buy one already done instead (not a plug for my car :D) and save a huge whack of money.

Of course this is all "Man Maths" and I've never been a fan of fiscal reality when it comes to Man Maths, as my history of expensive "spent 2x-3x the purchase price on mods and never recouped it" cars shows :D

Soldato
OP
Ah Balls!

RS6 1 - Fox 0 but its a very pyrrhic victory as the RS6 as the fox, whilst now chasing chickens in the big farm in the sky, broke my bumper in the process! I've never had to do any body repair type stuff (I'm amazed considering how I drive at times TBH) so I've no idea yet if this damage is considered "repairable" on a 200mph+ car (but there's bits missing at the arch I've only just this second noticed, balls!) or whether it'll be have to be a new £1300+ bumper required, alongside the broken black "air guide" which I've already sourced a replacement for and oddly Audi were the cheapest suppliers.

CZCwZUZ.jpg

ImkPfM6.jpg

I was coming back from a gig at about 2am and doing a genuine 50-ish mph on some (new to me) twisty B-roads as I came around a long left hander and saw movement of something "brown" on the grass verge on the left. The most annoying thing was the fox (seen as the lower orange blob in the masterpiece below) would have been perfectly safe just staying still or following the other smaller fox away from the verge but instead, despite braking from 50-ish and already moving over into the opposite lane to give them space, the lunatic decided to run right infront of me. I stopped to check my car over and on the fox and that thing was D.E.A.D, I think it's head may have gone under the rear tyre as it was very obviously flattened so at least it was instant for the fox, the little git!

DA6VOnu.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
1. It's a shame for the fox... never nice to hit something innocent...
2. Mmmm that's not too much damage that to the car, I suppose it's the little bits, the bumper would have plastic welding so I wouldn't see a good body shop fixing that, it's any replacement little bits that could cost... just trying to see so the section where the inner arch has come away, what's missing there looks weird like someones took a hack saw to it? Down the bottom near the edge of the carbon lip?

CZCwZUZ.jpg

Soldato
OP
Yeap it's odd looking considering how perfectly "cut" it looks.

It's such a clean break I genuinely didn't notice it as an actual missing part as crack No1 took all my attention. It was only literally seconds after posting that I realised No2 was actually a missing part, gone forever which means the bumper is almost certainly going to need replacing. Originally I was thinking about just No1 being some kind of a repair and that No2 was just where the bumper had pulled away from the arch liner, amazing how much extra damage I missed when I took the photo.

XJCMsI4.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom