Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

Man of Honour
Funny how opinions differ, i prefer this style, perhaps its being used to it, as i was a big fan of the old baldurs gate 2 game, but its good that both game types exist

Definitely agree that its good that there are both types, widens the overall appeal of the CRPG genre. You may be right, I never really got into Baldurs Gate or Icewind Dale etc either, for pretty much the same reason, however turn based combat CRPGs I've enjoyed for decades so you've probably got something with it being what a person is used to.

Caporegime
OP
RPS not totally impressed which is odd because that's normally my yardstick. They've hit pretty hard

I'm enjoying this a lot so far, have gone Barbarian which I never do, and am having a blast. The music in the first game was great but in this it's exceptional. Animation looking good, story a bit 'OH NO GODS AGAIN' so far but might change, but this is a lot of fun.

Soldato
I'm getting on quite well. Once it opens up a bit and you see the places you can explore it really does feel feel big. It clicked for me when I sailed to a fort, managed to sneak through the entire area solo, killed the guy I came to kill through pretty cool means, then explored the area and found it was pretty much an entire town.

The role-playing character moments are really great(well, it is Obsidian!). The whole plot concerning the Gods is a bit tiresome, but in typical Obsidian fashion your character can react to it in really cool ways.

I think I'm gonna have to re-roll my character though. I am using dual pistols, which is fun, but I'm not optimised for it at all.

Soldato
Been playing round with the AI behaviour editor. It is the best sincr Dragon Age Origins, but a bit more complicated. It is worth getting to grips with though. There are a few conditions missing that they will probably have to add.

I've been exploring on of the cities and it is a really cool well made area. I get a real Dark Souls vibe from one area in particular which was awesome.

Really enjoying it.

Soldato
Been playing round with the AI behaviour editor. It is the best sincr Dragon Age Origins, but a bit more complicated. It is worth getting to grips with though. There are a few conditions missing that they will probably have to add.

I've been exploring on of the cities and it is a really cool well made area. I get a real Dark Souls vibe from one area in particular which was awesome.

Really enjoying it.
Hopefully not a spoiler but to be sure I put who it is inside a spoiler tag. When you pick up a certain companion, and if you decided to change their AI, the game crashes. Saw it the other day during CohhCarnages playthrough, just thought I mentioned it incase you experience the same later. Hopefully Obsidian is aware of it and there will soon be a patch.
Pallegina - is the dark skined woman with feathers growing out of her hair incase you don't remember the name.

Soldato
Thanks. I'll remember that... Shame though, as

I definitely would have changed her AI as I found her the hardest person to keep alive in the first game!

Soldato
Thanks. I'll remember that... Shame though, as

I definitely would have changed her AI as I found her the hardest person to keep alive in the first game!
Well, to be completely right you can do some. I added the youtube link for when it happening in the spoiler, not that it is to much of a spoiler, since it happening in the middle of a fight where he starts changing it then after comes the crashes, about 15 min of fiddling around before he figured out what it was.

And you can always try to do your changes when you meeting her, but if same thing happens as for Cohh, then you aware of how to fix it.

Soldato
Well after about 6 hours so far my impression is that it is a fair bit superior to the first game. The combat is still a bit... Well, it is what it is. For the type of combat, it is as good as it gets really, even if it is a bit old fashioned now. The AI behaviours really improve things.

I have explored some really nice areas around one of the cities, beautifully designed maps with great atmosphere, something isometric games can often lack.

Companions seem pretty good too. The returning ones are the right returning ones, and the new ones seem Intersting. I like the Orlan, but have real trouble keeping him alive sometimes!

Soldato
Starting to get really bad performance during combat now. FPS can drop to single figures!

Obsidian ladies and gentlemen...(they are by far my favourite developer, but let's just say this isn't unexpected)

As for the game itself, I'm totally engrossed now. The world is a joy to explore, the combat is OK once you get to grips with it and the dialogue is expectedly brilliant. Nobody does dialogue options as good as Obsidian. Not even close.

20 hours in and I haven't had a chance to do any ship combat yet... Tbh Ive only just worked out morale, which I let get to 8 at one point.

Also-

David Warner is back!... And brilliant as ever. When you kill him you pick up his skull and you can have it follow you around as a pet... And he spends the entire game insulting you. Comments come pretty frequently, but it's David Warner so it's great!

Last edited:
Associate
Quite enjoying this, it's the first time I've played a game with this combat system, which is taking some getting used to. I started scripting my all my AI but I think I'm gonna cut that right down just to emergency self heals at 25% and self buffing only and do the damage/heals manually for the moment.

Soldato
35 hours now. Loved every second and I've not really done much of the campaign. I am a bit disappointed that there aren't more towns/cities. The world doesn't feel as alive as it could tbh. I'd love just one more big city like Neketaka.

My dual pistol rogue is a killer now too. If the first shot doesn't kill them my second pistol slows them and gives me time to reload. Another round is usually enough!... I could probably solo the game with this character tbh!

Soldato
50 hours now. Still got tons to do. I did have to go back to an earlier save as I had a bug. I've still only explored quite a small portion of the map really.

I'm really enjoying it. Typically from obsidian the quests are very complex in terms of how they interact with each other.

I've got the hang of ship combat bow too. It really is quite fun Though it could do with being a bit deeper tbh.

Associate
i'm enjoying this also about 20 hours in doing a ton of side content atm just got a new boat went for a Galleon hopefully should be able to get more money from all the pirates

Soldato
Is it actually worth investing time into doing the AI behaviour? I've only played about 6 hours so far but I've not been beaten in any fights so far just leaving the party to their own devices. I made a druid as my main but it's annoying that they just shapeshift into a bear every fight and you can't cast spells then. Just landed in Neketaka so still early in the game.

Soldato
Depends how much you want to do during combat. If you are not having any difficulty and enjoy pausing a lot telling everyone what to do then probably not... I find it very satisfying sitting back watching fights play out and your tactics paying off. I have Eder starting every fight by charging and engaging the highest armour enemy, Aloth starting by turning someone in to a pig, my squishier characters casting illusion magic on themselves etc. Everyone is set to cast second wind at 25%health, my healers automatically revive anyone who is knocked out, my ranged character every time they are engaged casts a smoke bomb then repositions.

It's fun watching it all play out!

Associate
I just turn off the ai on my main (rouge) so i can get him behide enemy's and off my cleric or he will spam spells when I want to use heals and buffs at the rite time.

The rest I just leave the default ai

Soldato
I will usually tweak some characters AI. If the wizard has one touch point spell in their inventory, I kept finding they would run straight up to the enemy to use it, even if they really should hang back so removed it from rotation. Aside from that, kept them largely going with the normal AI.

Soldato
I've just set up Second Wind on a couple of my characters and I'll heal with my priest when I need to.

Do you need to pick up books/notes etc or is it just enough to read them? Just wondered cos if I see books that can be stolen I just have to right click to read them which saves me from getting caught stealing.

Soldato
After my recent thread to find a game, this is one of them I picked up, it was added to the steam dl list overnight so I'll be giving it a shot in a few hours.

Quick question though, how broken is melee in this one? I always try to play a rogue style class as my 'main' but end up having a bunch of casters in games like this (Pillars 1, Divinity) simply because melee just gets screwed over.

Back
Top Bottom