Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

Soldato
I got to Neketaka but got a bit bored with it. I visited a couple of locations in the city over the course of a couple of hours but became bored. I picked up lots of quests but there was no fighting at all so I'm either very good at diplomacy and bluffing or missing fights. I've got the day to myself so I'll give it another bash and see where it takes me.

Associate
I got to Neketaka but got a bit bored with it. I visited a couple of locations in the city over the course of a couple of hours but became bored. I picked up lots of quests but there was no fighting at all so I'm either very good at diplomacy and bluffing or missing fights. I've got the day to myself so I'll give it another bash and see where it takes me.

Then u havn't done the quests, one to get a tablet has lots of enemies to fight, then you have the one at the end of a chain to take a family out, there the under city with loads of enemies and even a big boss to fight

Soldato
Then u havn't done the quests, one to get a tablet has lots of enemies to fight, then you have the one at the end of a chain to take a family out, there the under city with loads of enemies and even a big boss to fight

Got into some fighting now but the
steelclad's
are a pain to fight!

Soldato
Welp, got an hour in on this lastnight, so much improvement over the first! Loving it so far, playing a single class rogue (assassin) as this isn't my style of game so making it easier for me. Playing on normal (one below classic setting) with no level scaling as I wanted to know when I was somewhere I shouldn't be.

One question, how do you go about opening up with sneak attacks? I'm trying to get my rogue to open up with backstabs but then by the time my main party arrives, the rogue is the focus for most of the attacks. Is it better to open with a sneak ranged shot?

Soldato
Keep a ranged weapon to open with. If you switch after you don't have to worry about reloading or recovery. My character is a dual pistol rogue and became an absolute killer!

There are also some good weapons that give you bonuses when using a pistol in one hand dagger in the other which is pretty cool. For example, each ranged hit reduces recovery with your mele weapon.

Soldato
Keep a ranged weapon to open with. If you switch after you don't have to worry about reloading or recovery. My character is a dual pistol rogue and became an absolute killer!

There are also some good weapons that give you bonuses when using a pistol in one hand dagger in the other which is pretty cool. For example, each ranged hit reduces recovery with your mele weapon.

Bugger, I chose the hunter bow weapon proficiency upon character creation. Should I have taken the pistol?

Which also brings me onto the other side of things, as I want to role play as much as possible in this, I don't particularly want my stealthy assassin opening up with a loud pistol bang haha. So is there anyway to utilise the dagger opener? Maybe send in my party first and then the rogue to deal the dmg?

Soldato
You won't be able to get close enough to anyone to backstab without a higher stealth stat I don't think(I haven't looked in to it). I played the whole game as dual pistol, but opening with a ranged stealth shot so I'm not sure how easy it is to do that tbh. The enchantment for quicker recovery is for a pistol specifically iirc, not sure if there is a bow equivalent.
Your stealth character will stay in stealth after your party engage in combat though, so you might be able to get some good hits in.

Pretty sure you can respec at any time at a tavern, but you can't change your starting race, background etc.

Soldato
You won't be able to get close enough to anyone to backstab without a higher stealth stat I don't think(I haven't looked in to it). I played the whole game as dual pistol, but opening with a ranged stealth shot so I'm not sure how easy it is to do that tbh. The enchantment for quicker recovery is for a pistol specifically iirc, not sure if there is a bow equivalent.
Your stealth character will stay in stealth after your party engage in combat though, so you might be able to get some good hits in.

Pretty sure you can respec at any time at a tavern, but you can't change your starting race, background etc.

Oh! I didn't know about the respec option, that's good to know. I'll not fuss over it then for now. As for leaving my toon in stealth, I will do. I think I'll just position my main behind the enemy and then engage, leave the party on auto attack whilst I get my rogue in place for big hits. Again, I'm only playing on Normal so I don't think I'll run into too much difficulty.

Soldato
I completed the campaign. The ending is so-so. I've still got lots of exploring to do. Just discovered an island with a cool side quest involving a character called Nemnok I thought it was hilarious Obsidian writing at its best!

Soldato
Completed this tonight. About 40 hours to complete on my first play through. Honestly I hardly explored the world so looking forward to getting back into it again. First playthrough was a priest, but tempted by a cipher or a melee wizard this time. Need to have a look into the abilities to decide.

What I found interesting through was that I never used the weapon proficiency's once. Never felt I needed too; anyone else found this?

Soldato
Beast of Winter released today and is getting good reviews.

I have the season pass, but I'm gonna play it through again when all of the dlc is out.

Man of Honour
Well well well...as I mentioned earlier in this thread I've always had trouble gelling with the realtime combat in these sorts of games. Much prefer the turn based system of things like Divinity Original Sin.

But today I discover from watching Cohhs streams that lo and behold, Pillars 2 now has a turn based mode ! Finally time for me to push the purchase button

Soldato
Well, I bought it but can't play it despite downloading it 5 times now... it just keeps going into update and downloading the whole 18GB again, but God knows where the actual data is going.

Good start :mad:

Soldato
I eventually got it going, it was an anti-virus thing.

The game looks and feels quite dated, which is disappointing for a year old - but, I'll give it a bash and see if the game play makes up for it.
Problem is you are coming off Divinity Original sin 2, which is by far the most forward-thinking isometric rpg. Everything else feels dated compared to it... Unfortunately, with Larian making Baldur's Gate 3, it looks like a lot of fans are trying to get them to go back in time and make a 20 year old game:(. I hope they stick to their guns and continue to innovate.

As for Deadfire though, it is really good. Might not be exactly 'new' but I thought it played really well, and it is an obsidian game, so you are guaranteed great role-playing with top class dialogue.

Back
Top Bottom