Pixel Buds/ Google Assistant-powered headphones

Soldato
Talking on your phone through headphones already makes you look like a crazy person in public, can you imagine just randomly saying commands whilst on the bus etc? lol.

This is my issue with all the drive toward the "internet of things". Speaking to a human via a machine is one thing, but speaking to a machine to issue commands is just unnatural. I've tried to use Google Assistant on my Pixel, but she's not great with the Scottish accent and the conversation usually trails off with some Google search results appearing on the screen, usually of something I didn't even mention.

I'd rather just plug my headphones into the Jack and select a playlist.

Permabanned
OP
thats not what i said, i said that in 5 years the cost of such a head phone would be far cheaper. look how expensive the pixels are a google built headphone will also be insanely expensive.

I am glad we agree that the path of many tech products tend to come down in price over time. This is especially true when competition gives consumers a choice. As we know from this website, there are Android phones that cost less than £ 100 as well as those that cost substantially more. Globally there are more than 4,000 different devices running Android.

Compare that to the handful of products running iOS where there is only one provider. There is already talk that the next iPhone to be launched soon will cost more than any previous iPhone (in excess of £ 750). Some are not aware of this due to carrier deals that defer the cost over the two year contract.

As to the rumoured Google Assistant powered voice activated headphone from Google, you may well be right that the first iteration from Google will be "insanely expensive." On the other hand, Google will help bring you choice of lower cost options by open-sourcing Google Assistant so that many headphone manufacturers will be able to compete on cost. Again contrast this approach with Apple AirPods which are expensive and in short supply with Apple being the sole source.

Permabanned
OP
This is my issue with all the drive toward the "internet of things". Speaking to a human via a machine is one thing, but speaking to a machine to issue commands is just unnatural. I've tried to use Google Assistant on my Pixel, but she's not great with the Scottish accent and the conversation usually trails off with some Google search results appearing on the screen, usually of something I didn't even mention.

I'd rather just plug my headphones into the Jack and select a playlist.

I am truly sorry that your experience with Assistant on your Pixel is not perfect due to, what you say, is your Scottish accent. My experience tells me to be patient. Google Assistant started with support for a couple of languages and by year end is expected to support a few more. Language support is incredibly difficult to achieve but Google has years of experience with Google Translate.

On your last point, if I thought that the only possible use for the rumoured Google Assistant headphones was as a device to play your music list, I would be more inclined to agree. However, I see voice assistance becoming much more than that. I see the headphone replacing the need to take the phone out of your pocket for an increasing number of things I do.......search, get directions, get timetables, shop, pay for things, make phone calls, send messages, etc. I know that there is a time and place for everything and it might not suit everyone to use voice activated headphones all the time. But the fact that I have the option would make these headphones extremely appealing to many people, in my opinion.

Man of Honour
On your last point, if I thought that the only possible use for the rumoured Google Assistant headphones was as a device to play your music list, I would be more inclined to agree. However, I see voice assistance becoming much more than that. I see the headphone replacing the need to take the phone out of your pocket for an increasing number of things I do.......search, get directions, get timetables, shop, pay for things, make phone calls, send messages, etc. I know that there is a time and place for everything and it might not suit everyone to use voice activated headphones all the time. But the fact that I have the option would make these headphones extremely appealing to many people, in my opinion.
good god no, and same for shopping for a lot of that you simply need a screen. A quick glance at a map tell you so much more, than any verbal communications. Partially the same for timetable i would rather see a timetable and all the information than my headphones needing to talk to me for 5mins and then you still cant compare as its very hard to compare a lot of info in speech form, but extremely easy in visual form. However if its a regular route you know, and just want next bus time, then yes that could be good.

Same for shopping I cant ever see voice only shopping becoming main stream, visual comparison of images and information is so much faster. However it would be useful for a shopping list.
Ok google add garlic to ocado

or similar, then when you next fire up ocado website or app you see the shopping list and a click on it brings up a search for all garlic products.

I think people either over estimate how much you will do with voice, or under estimate, you can do a fair amount, but visual is still king for many things that people say you will do with voice.

it'll all change again when display contacts or glasses become mainstream, the combo would be extremely powerful.

Permabanned
OP
good god no, and same for shopping for a lot of that you simply need a screen. A quick glance at a map tell you so much more, than any verbal communications. Partially the same for timetable i would rather see a timetable and all the information than my headphones needing to talk to me for 5mins and then you still cant compare as its very hard to compare a lot of info in speech form, but extremely easy in visual form. However if its a regular route you know, and just want next bus time, then yes that could be good.

Same for shopping I cant ever see voice only shopping becoming main stream, visual comparison of images and information is so much faster. However it would be useful for a shopping list.
Ok google add garlic to ocado

or similar, then when you next fire up ocado website or app you see the shopping list and a click on it brings up a search for all garlic products.

I think people either over estimate how much you will do with voice, or under estimate, you can do a fair amount, but visual is still king for many things that people say you will do with voice.

it'll all change again when display contacts or glasses become mainstream, the combo would be extremely powerful.

Here are a few comments that you might find helpful.

Amazon really created this voice activated smart speaker category with Echo about 3 years ago. Google introduced Google Home late last year. Apple plans to start to sell its smart speaker in December.

More than half of all Echo owners have bought something on their device and about 30% of Echo owners buy something every week. Usually the purchases are for relatively inexpensive items. For Amazon Prime subscribers who pay an annual fee, they have the ability to order single item purchases rather than have to bundle them with other items to reach a certain money thresh-hold. This makes it extremely convenient. Earlier this year in the US, Amazon claimed 45% of every £ 1 spent online! They believe voice will be a bigger growth driver in future.

I agree people will overestimate voice and underestimate visual. A Google Assistant powered headphone might well speed up voice use. Time will tell these estimates are right or wrong.

Man of Honour
More than half of all Echo owners have bought something on their device and about 30% of Echo owners buy something every week. Usually the purchases are for relatively inexpensive items. For Amazon Prime subscribers who pay an annual fee, they have the ability to order single item purchases rather than have to bundle them with other items to reach a certain money thresh-hold. This makes it extremely convenient. Earlier this year in the US, Amazon claimed 45% of every £ 1 spent online! They believe voice will be a bigger growth driver in future.
and how many have already added it to their basket beforehand, and how many have looked on line and decided exactly what they want.

it is essentially impossible to shop without vision.
even if I know the exact brand and model, there's multiple shipping and price options.

if you have the same supplements or other regular thing then sure, but why not just use their subscribe service instead.

Last edited:
Soldato
Funny that! ;);)

By the way, when I use voice messaging for example, I find it to be nearly perfect. Could my English be different?:p:p

Regional accents are an issue for voice that text input does not suffer from. That's the point I'm making. It may be perfect for you, but will be less than perfect for millions. I also agree with @Glaucus that visual is far superior for shopping etc..

Voice control is a gimmick.

Permabanned
OP
Regional accents are an issue for voice that text input does not suffer from. That's the point I'm making. It may be perfect for you, but will be less than perfect for millions. I also agree with @Glaucus that visual is far superior for shopping etc..

Voice control is a gimmick.

Perhaps.

I note that Samsung is also likely joining the voice activated device market too. Lots of big companies chasing this space now.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/23/sam...eaker-to-rival-amazon-echo-apple-homepod.html

By the way, I expect the voice activation technology that Google develops and hopefully perfects in devices like Home, headphones and phones will play a key role in their self driving cars. So many potential uses.

Permabanned
OP
The product announcements from Google are due to happen in 16 days, on 4 October. Rumours suggest Google Assistant - powered headphones made by Google (Project "Bisto").

Bose headphones (the QuietComfort 35 II) with Google Assistant have now made a debut in the US on Best Buy, and are set to ship this weekend, ahead of Google's announcement in October. According to the link below from Ars Technica, "Users can issue commands, ask questions, send text messages by voice, make phone calls, and access third-party voice apps via the headphones."

After the October event, perhaps we can get an answer to Ars Technica's question as to why do headphones need the "Google Assistant built in"?

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/09/bose-google-assistant-headphones-best-buy/?comments=1

Permabanned
OP
It's just an advert?

The official release for the Bose G-powered headphone speaker is 22 September. I believe this video was mistakenly posted early then taken down but captured online on Vidme. Not 100% sure what to make of it but it suggests the look and feel of the new Bose speaker and was the only video source I could find so far to provide as a response to TheOracle's slightly tongue-in-cheek comment. I assume in a few days you will have lots of product breakdown videos anyway. In any case, there is a rumour that Google will introduce its own GA-powered headphone speakers on 4 October when they plan to also release product including the Pixel 2's.

Permabanned
OP
In case you thought Pixel Buds were wireless headphones just for playing music, think again. Among many things they can do, try out language translation. In this YouTube video, one person speaks Japanese, the other English. Hold down the Google Assistant button on the earpiece and it links to Google Translate on your phone. Impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_BQjRs94ec

Permabanned
OP
I assume others are on the wait-list to receive information as to when the Pixel Bud Bluetooth enabled headphones will be available in the UK.

We saw the demo at the press release earlier this month. The earbuds are connected with a cloth like material cord that sits behind the neck, tucked into a shirt collar. In case you were wondering whether the cord was purely cosmetic and if you could cut the cord, the answer is NO. The cord conducts power and audio signals.

https://9to5google.com/2017/10/17/g...because-it-does-sort-of-seem-purely-cosmetic/

Permabanned
OP
I am planning to purchase the Pixel Buds once they are sold in the UK (expected in November) and today's announcement that they will link to Fast Pairing is going to make the Bluetooth pairing that much easier. This feature will be available to users of Android 6.0 and above. Pairing will be this easy:

Screen_Shot_2017_10_31_at_4.18.24_PM.png

https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2017/10/announcing-fast-pair-effortless.html

Pixel Buds will have lots of smarts as they are Google Assistant enabled and will also offer the really helpful translation tool for foreign travel, etc.

https://www.blog.google/products/pixel/pixel-buds/

Back
Top Bottom