Plant based burgers and lab grown meat

Soldato
This is the beginning of the end, fake meat! It really is nothing more than processed garbage. I agree with this guy, if people want fake meat then go ahead and eat the crap, but stop pretending it's better for our bodies and the environment, total and utter ******* ********!

Soldato
lol they thought it was healthier ? You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?

48114225198_0415ce1dbd_z_d.jpg

Soldato
OP
lol, meh, as long as the nutrition is comparable, which is according to that table apart from the protein level being lower, and as long as it tastes good I'm still interested if it's more beneficial to the environment along the entire food chain. Interesting the salt level seems a fair bit higher.

I wonder if the type of fats are healthier though when it's the plant based fat, vs that from meat.

I'm sure as V3, 4 and 5 come out they'll be able to improve on all aspects of the nutritional content.

Caporegime
lol, meh, as long as the nutrition is comparable, which is according to that table apart from the protein level being lower, and as long as it tastes good I'm still interested if it's more beneficial to the environment along the entire food chain. Interesting the salt level seems a fair bit higher.

I wonder if the type of fats are healthier though when it's the plant based fat, vs that from meat.

I'm sure as V3, 4 and 5 come out they'll be able to improve on all aspects of the nutritional content.

I doubt the nutrition aspect is a focus for them, more about emulating the real meat versions as closely as possible, as clearly people do this more for ethical purposes than health ones. Junk food gonna junk good.

Soldato
OP
True. Although it would be neat if they made it tasty and healthy.

I eagerley away the time I can have my daily Berocca Breakfast Burger™ and get all the vitamins and minerals I need to kick start the day ;)

Soldato
even for the impossible burger

“I wouldn’t define it as healthier, I would define it more as ethical,” she said.

The original Whopper clocks in at 660 calories (more than half of them coming from fat), 40 grams of fat, and 28 grams of protein. The Impossible Whopper comes in at 630 calories (again, half from fat), 34 grams of fat, and 25 grams of protein.

The Impossible Whopper does have significantly lower cholesterol — 10 milligrams compared to 90 milligrams — but has more sodium at 1,240 milligrams compared to 980 milligrams.

so the comparative healthiness unclear .. .. they have, presumably been unable to replace fat by carbs, say, and maintain customer 'satisfaction'/satiation.
If the burger had twice the volume, say, but, with carbs, would that have been good. ?

Caporegime
even for the impossible burger

so the comparative healthiness unclear .. .. they have, presumably been unable to replace fat by carbs, say, and maintain customer 'satisfaction'/satiation.
If the burger had twice the volume, say, but, with carbs, would that have been good. ?

The fake meat burgers are not designed to be healthier, simply better for the environment and animal ethics.

The calories mostly come form the fat content which is purposely matched to the meat version so the texture, moisture and taste is comparable.

I expect in the future healthier versions will appear with lower fat and greater plant nutrients, but they wont taste as good and will be drier than the full fat versions.

Soldato
I think they have been disingenuous with their impossible/imposter burgers,
if you look on impossible web site, they don't address the type of fat, and consequent health issues; I would have expected that vegan cookery was generally more healthy fat-wise, as, I would have thought most consumers would.

it's a bit like alcohol free/low drinks you expect the taste to be down, but you have a product, you can drive after drinking, and, if you are concerned by alcohol intake will address that.

Caporegime
if you look on impossible web site, they don't address the type of fat, and consequent health issues; I would have expected that vegan cookery was generally more healthy fat-wise, as, I would have thought most consumers would.

it's a bit like alcohol free/low drinks you expect the taste to be down, but you have a product, you can drive after drinking, and, if you are concerned by alcohol intake will address that.
Fat it itself isn't unhealthy though.

Soldato
isn't the animal fat advantage predominately on high heat cooking where they are no going to oxidise, become carconogenic to the same degree as vegetable ...
so I need to have the impossible/imposter burger rare.

Caporegime

At the end of the day fat is fat and so although the vegetable fat is slightly healthier in the impossible burger it is a struggle to call it healthier in that respect.

If you want the healthiest burgers then you will make a black bean burger with addiional vegetables. Can be very yummy, very healthy but wont taste like a burger.

Caporegime
isn't the animal fat advantage predominately on high heat cooking where they are no going to oxidise, become carconogenic to the same degree as vegetable ...
so I need to have the impossible/imposter burger rare.

All fats become carcinogenic at high heat. There isn't really a big difference. Some people try to make out that animal fats and coconut butter have higher smoking points but you have to look carefully .

Lard: 188C
Peanut Oil: 232C;
Light Olive oil: 242C

https://www.thespruceeats.com/smoking-points-of-fats-and-oils-1328753

Light olive oil is about the best for general frying. Virgin olive oil is fine for making Italian, french, med cuisine but not to sear a steak.

Animal fats are in general bad (butter and lard, 120-180C) unless processed (ghee). Coconut oil is terrible unless highly processed and loosing its flavor.

Soldato
LOL: we have discussed smoke point/oils in enough threads .. but if the carcinogenic threat goes exponential when you exceed that point. ????

anyway - are there other animal fat benefits, which is what he predicated ?

Soldato
OP
Yum - for all the haters, you can now buy meat vegetables! :D

https://www.delish.com/food-news/amp28198683/arbys-marrot-vegetables-made-of-meat/

Let's talk about how it's made. For starters, Arby's uses 100-percent turkey breast and rolls it up. "With a cheesecloth and plastic wrap, you're able to wrap it into that rounded cone shape that you get with carrots," brand executive chef Neville Craw told Delish. It's then smothered in dried carrot juice powder (aka where the nutrients and color comes from), and roasted for an hour.

ikkDbIq.png

Back
Top Bottom